NWR the Cycling Thread

Edward, I was thinking about the Colnago, not in that colour scheme though.

Did my first endurance ride today, 24 hours. Quite challenging weather, strong gusty winds that shifted through 360 degrees around the 50km track. I certainly endured!

Loved the Amstel race and Gilbert deserved his win.
Ian, did you buy this new kit? Looks like we need to load you with stones for level playing field next time we do the Ventoux...
As for Ed, I am thinking about buying an electric bike to keep up...

Antoine - my cycle to work scheme bike got stolen so I needed to avail myself of a new bike. I took the S5 for a 53 mile ride today even though I have a nasty cold. It is very very rapid but climbs well too, being slightly lighter than my R3. Ed - it would be right up your street ... you should seriously consider it as an option.

Antoine - my cycle to work scheme bike got stolen so I needed to avail myself of a new bike. I took the S5 for a 53 mile ride today even though I have a nasty cold. It is very very rapid but climbs well too, being slightly lighter than my R3. Ed - it would be right up your street ... you should seriously consider it as an option.
The S5 will certainly be on my shortlist Ian. A very impressive beast.

Are you going to put some deep section wheels on? I'd have thought you should to get the full benefit of the aero frame.

Russell the reason I chose those wheels is because I do, and will be doing, a fair amount of climbing where it is often very windy, e.g., in Provence. Deep section wheels can be a bit dicey in strong cross winds, and they are heavier than the wheels I have. I did want something with more straight line speed too, than my R3 road bike. In an ideal unconstrained world I would have a R5 with these wheels for climbing and an S5 with deep section wheels for speed, but my budget doesn't stretch that far!

Last edited:
...not to mention that Ian goes downhill like a rocket...deep section wheels would launch him in the air ...

Scarponi reminds us how careless can lorries (and cars) can be... Sad...

Scorching normal Friday ride today, 75km out to the service station, 50km back.

Rode with the fast group for the 4/5th time. Very strong group, chaingang at 45-50+kph on the highway and one of the top racers just casually rides off the front.

I struggled today after the big endurance ride last week, takes a toll on the legs I guess.

38 degrees when I got off the bike!

Last edited:
I've arrived in Madrid ready for Sunday's European Duathlon Championships. The downside is that I've got my left leg heavily strapped as a result of a small calf tear sustained on Monday. Hopefully I will get round even if I'm not as competitive as I'd hoped to be.

Giro d'Italia fantasy league set up at Velogames Fantasy Cycling | Fantasy Giro d'Italia 2017
League Name: Wine Pages
League Code: 383023091510

Anyone and everyone welcome to join this free to play little diversion. The usual setup, choose 9 riders with the 100 point allowance and that's it, no transfers once it's all started. Entries by midday (Central European summer time) on Friday 5th May

regards
Ian

FINAL CALL FOR ENTRIES - deadline midday CEST, so 11am in the UK

Slight thread drift (and - doubtless - years behind everyone else here), but I just read Tim Krabbé's The Rider. A terrific read and a real insight into a cyclists mentality in the race. Actually published in 1978 but feels very fresh.