NWR the Cycling Thread

At least Nibali had the a positive suggestion, that the race director / referee could instruct a brief suspension of racing. It shows some understanding that yesterday wasn't right. I have to say I think this is a better solution, as it allows the whole of the race to be neutralised, or at the very least the pink jersey group and those up the road, plus it takes away the moral differences between the sporing teams who want to win on merit, and the opportunists who will see any misfortune as an opportunity to benefit. Movistar's claim they "were racing" conveniently ignores the fact that they were also racing when he fell off, indeed they were racing too hard for their bike handling skills.

Hope you don't mind a little thread drift while I ask a question.
I was in Alcudia in Mallorca for the weekend and couldn't believe how many cyclists were there and how geared up all the hotels, bars etc. are for them. The majority of them appeared to be German but there were many other accents as well. Is there a reason why this spot attracts cyclists? It was all quite fascinating. I could do with some exercise and it was all quite enticing, they all seemed to be having a great time.

Where do you have in mind Russell? Around here you don't necessarily need to cycle up the mountain to have an exhilarating ride. Probably the best thing is to combine both, however. Today I rode from my base in Le Barroux to Malaucene, up to the top (much easier said than done - it is still a brutal ascent), down the other side to Sault, and along the Nesque Valley, one of the most exhilarating rides I know. Then back up the gentle slope home - 111k, 2235m of climbing - and 3500 calories! The scenery around here is fantastic, and there are a lot of riders out. The only neg really is the number of motorcyclists, driving in packs very fast and somewhat dangerously leaving plumes of smoke in their wake.

Last edited:
Weekly group rides getting tough here. 30 degrees at 5:30 when we started. Pushing 40 degrees three hours and 110km later.

I estimate my heart rate was running about 10 bpm faster than normal.

I feel a bit sorry for Dumoulin and Shittersgate but, at least, it makes for an exciting finale. Just a pity Quint and Nib did not try harder but maybe they could not.
I still think Tom will win it, but really, anything can happen.... and we'llonlyknow on Sunday (or maybe tomorrow?)