NWR What films have you been watching?

Saw The Big Short and The Hateful Eight on a plane recently. The former was excellent. Steve Carroll in particular was superb. The Hateful Eight was truly awful. I was a huge Tarantino fan in the early days but he really has nothing to offer now other than crazy gore.

Another vote for The Big Short. Good performances and not too much silly Hollywood stuff.

Also was unlucky enough to see the execrable Sceptre. I thought Skyfall was bad but this plumbed another depth of nonsense. Leaden-footed, humourless and horribly cliched. I don't think Sam Mendes really gets Bond at all.

Last edited:
First visit to the cinema in ages last night to see Julieta, the latest from Pedro Almodóvar.

Haven't paid close attention to his most recent films but this feels like a real return to form.

Last edited:
First visit to the cinema in ages last night to see Julieta, the latest from Pedro Almodóvar.

Haven't paid close to attention to his most recent films but this feels like a real return to form.
Want to see that. In fact we were hoping to go this week but the times were really bad for us. We actually watched Bad Education just before we went to Granada...our newest family member came with a PA Box Set!!! Have seen only good reviews for Julieta.

Want to see that. In fact we were hoping to go this week but the times were really bad for us. We actually watched Bad Education just before we went to Granada...our newest family member came with a PA Box Set!!! Have seen only good reviews for Julieta.
...and Volver last night, which is a lovely film despite small bits of the content not deserving that adjective.

Debbi and I went to watch Elvis&Nixon, or maybe it is the other way around.
We had little expectation other than Spacey is always good and the lead was the chap we so enjoyed watching in Boardwalk Empire.
It was a real surprise and we have mentioned it most days since we saw at about a month ago, a recommend for anyone say 40 plus who may recall Nixon.

Not sure this counts but I'm currently watching from my office a film being made in Lincoln's Inn Fields - no clue what it is but it involves from what I can tell (a) a black citroen DS (b) a yellow and black very noisy modern sports car racing through leaves (which various bods are scattering on the road) and, most recently (c) 6 SUVs and marked police cars all with blue lights flashing caning it around the tight left hander at the NE corner of the fields. Fascinating. A day's filming, probably for 5-7 seconds in the eventual film. If anyone has any idea what the film is I'd love to know...

Loncoln's Inn and the fields seem to regularly host camera crews, especially costume dramas. A friend in chambers in New Square is occasionally shut in when she works on Saturday or Sunday to keep the shots clear.

This eleven minute video is probably controversial in places - I mean to the film anorak, nothing in it to scare anyone off - but I enjoyed it, and there were even two or three films I've never seen. Must check out De Sica's The Bicycle Thieves.

This list will broaden your movie horizons and make you awesome at bar trivia
The Bicycle Thieves is riveting & moving. Don't expect many chuckles. I'm a big fan of Italian Neo-Realism - my favourite Rome, Open City.

It's time I tracked down The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari.

I get a lot of old films from the shop at the BFI on the South Bank.

Sadly my favourite old film (some clips in that video if you spotted them) is not available on DVD due to copyright issues - Abel Gance's Napoleon. I recorded it on video when C4 put it on many years ago, but no longer have a VHS player and I'm not sure whether they went when we cleared the loft. But the list of the really old stuff worth getting is long. Dr C is a classic and I'd be surprised if you can't get hold of it

'Hot Enough For June', a quite wonderful really can't be bothered Bond parody with Dirk Bogarde, Robert Morley and John Le Mesurier etc. Like wine vintages more often than not bad films are better than good ones. Available on youtube.

Three transatlantic flights in three weeks - good for catching up on films but not for my sleep patterns:

Eye in the Sky: Helen Mirren and Alan Rickman both decent in this thriller based around a drone strike in Nairobi.

Love & Friendship: would normally avoid costume drama but this is directed by Whit Stilman (The Last Days of Disco) and has a great cast: Kate Beckinsale and Justin Edwards (Ben Swain in The Thick of It) are especially good. Loved it.

Weiner: documentary covering former congressman Anthony Weiner's car crash run New York mayoral campaign; his former wife, Huma Abedin (Hillary Clinton's top aide) is a much more intriguing character throughout, though.

Miles Ahead: Don Cheadle is brilliant in this film - loosely? - based on the exploits of Miles Davis during his five-year retirement in the late-70s.