NWR 6N 2021.

England pretty depressing... look like France a few years ago... maybe they need to clean the Old Guard... They can still win it though... but will not deserve it

England were comprehensively outplayed. And the few times they were in an attacking position ball in hand Farrell kicked it away. Jonny May was also completely out of it (and normally such a good player). Well done Scotland for applying constant pressure.

As was I David. In that stand Scotland were attacking in the second half 2/3s the way up. Also remember being on the pitch hearing Ireland and lost to Wales 23 - 9 and the triple crown gone.

I honestly can't remember a more blunter English attack than the one today. I kept on waiting for them to make an impact and punch through the Scottish defence, but it never came. Aimlessly kicking the ball back to the Scots.

We'll played Scotland a complete performance of rugby for 80 minutes where they never switched off.

Last edited:
Eddie Jones saying he takes the blame for not preparing England well enough, which IIRC was exactly what he said last year. Perhaps he's just a fan of 'on the job' training ;)

Unsure whether Scotland were good or England were bad. Probably both.
I suspect many a Scotland fan was having kittens when instead of just going through the phases with a minute left, they needlessly went for a drop goal which went belly up, and could easily have ended up being a try for England! But Scotland deserved it, no question.

Tom Cannavan

Administrator
Without wishing to be at all political, I do think it is hard for non-Scottish people to understand how much it means to Scots when Scotland (10% of the population of England) wins anything competitive against England. It's just like Canadians and Americans or Portuguese and Spanish I suspect. I do not have an 'anti-English' bone in my body, and I honestly don't think many Scots do. But being such minnows and underdogs, you should not begrudge us the once in 38 years celebration :). It really - really - doesn't mean we don't love you, and we are very well aware that it may not happen again for the next 38 years.

Without wishing to be at all political, I do think it is hard for non-Scottish people to understand how much it means to Scots when Scotland (10% of the population of England) wins anything competitive against England. It's just like Canadians and Americans or Portuguese and Spanish I suspect. I do not have an 'anti-English' bone in my body, and I honestly don't think many Scots do. But being such minnows and underdogs, you should not begrudge us the once in 38 years celebration :). It really - really - doesn't mean we don't love you, and we are very well aware that it may not happen again for the next 38 years.
Equally, just because we criticise England for being absolutely awful, doesn’t mean we don’t recognise what worthy winners Scotland were. My only criticism of Scotland is they should have won by a lot more!

The only consolations for that debacle were not wasting any money to observe and the lack of crowing Scots in the ground. Having lived in Troon and attended Marr College the year that the Broons of Troon were in the team that defeated England at TwIckenham in 71 (first time after WW2) these events are naturally painful. Only consolation was a Northcote beef Wellington and an Eben Sadie Soldaat 2011

Scotland were excellent today. Great game for a neutral to watch. Hogg so deserved his man of the match award. He had so many poor performances last year but his control was sublime. As for Finn Russell he could have blown it for the Scots.

Conor in no way could that be considered a great game of rugby! Littered with mistakes, Scotland could and should have won by a lot more. Bounce of the ball stopped them scoring another try. England were poor, the scottish played a great game of cup rugby. On Finn Russell, he was excellent, apart from his trip on youngs, which, to his massive discredit, he seemed to think was terribly clever, as he was seen to be smirking once he got his yellow. It would have made no odds as Scotland would have won anyway, but I wonder if he'd not tripped youngs where that move might have ended.

France let the italians off - it could have been a lot worse for them.

I really hope Wales Ireland is a better spectacle.

I really hope Wales Ireland is a better spectacle.
I very much doubt it. Dour Ireland and a welsh team that plays old scarlets attacking rugby with no steel core like defences of old, Then again maybe ideal for the neutral.
thought Scotland played well today and stuck it out despite trying their best not to win, missing penalties and a try :)