TN A Few Puligny-Montrachet 1er Crus tasting

P1060443.JPG

2010 Etienne Sauzet Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Champ-Canet 1.5L
Served from magnum, it has pale yellow colour. Larger format slows the maturation and it shows younger its real age. Coming from the upper mid-slope climat on the border with Meursault it has a lighter body. Focus is on the freshness and steely minerality. Bit of smoke, lemon tart. Yellow fruits. Strict personality. Reduced.
2010 is not an easy year and Sauzet wines show unusual reduction across the range in this vintage. Lower yields for 1er Crus.
(91pts.)

2012 Etienne Sauzet Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Combettes
Bright yellow colour. Open and inviting with sweet ripe aromas of yellow fruits and hints of medicinal herbs. Stony mineral on the palate with a long slightly saline finish.
Les Combettes is in the top league of Puligny 1er Crus sitting on the same mid-slope as Montrachet Grand Cru, but on the opposite Northern side of the village bordering with Meursault. This vineyard lies just below Champ-Canet and almost touches Comte Lafon's plot in Charmes 1er Cru in Meursault.
(92pts.)

2012 Etienne Sauzet Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Referts
Yellow gold colour. Opulent wine rich with yellow ripe fruits, melone and honey. It has the power of bordering Meursault and the backbone acidity structure of Puligny. Lower mid-slope vineyard with a layer of clay in the topsoil makes probably the most intense wines among Puligny 1er Crus. Generous wine which has already reached its maturity plateau. Sauzet own 0.7 ha parcel with 60 years old vines
(91pts.)

2012 Etienne Sauzet Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Folatières
Pale yellow colour with no signs of youthful green hue. Classic Puligny with floral notes of acacia. Purity and elegance, precision and typical nervousness. It drinks beautifully today and will develop more. This tiny parcel in the upper part of Folatières is located in En La Richarde lieu-dit. Next to the village plot of d'Auvenay. Situated in the upper part of the slope at 300m it gives a lot of freshness to the wine. However, it doesn't lack the concentration. Lovely example.
(93pts.)

2016 Domaine Jean Chartron Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Clos de la Pucelle Monopole
Pale yellow colour. Reductive in style. Intense austere stony nose. Focused. Some citrus. Tight on the palate and needs some aeration. Very promising wine and I am happy to have a few bottles in my cellar. Jean Chartron significantly improved over the past decade and wines now show equal to the noble terroir they come from. This historic monopole clos occupies the far end from Bienvenues-Bâtard-Montrachet in the northern part of la Pucelle 1er Cru. Hard to beat its QPR.
(92+pts.)

Thanks Stas. Why do you say 2010 was not an easy year? For Sauzet or more generally?
That is for Etienne Sauzet in particular. I had a few and my experience confirms that.

Here is the quote from Antonio Galloni, who I believe has a more extensive experience than me:

"I have to admit I was a bit perplexed by these 2010s from Sauzet. A number of wines were massively reduced and/or heavily sulfured to a degree I did not encounter at any other property I visited. The best selections in the lineup are quite strong, which suggests some of those elements may dissipate over time as the wines integrate, but at the same time, I can only report what is in the glass, and the reality is that some of the wines in this lineup are very awkward at this stage. I suggest readers taste the Sauzet 2010s before making any major commitments. "