Affordable restaurants with good wine lists in London? Help Please

Hello,

Does anyone have any suggestions for a nice restaurant with a good but affordable wine list?

I'm going with a few friends who aren't too knowledgeable about wine so nothing extravagant, just good value.

I have been to Noble Rot a few times so somewhere different would be nice.

Thank you in advance.

George

Thanks Gareth. What a cracking restaurant with some decent prices! I think I'll check that out too. Great recommendation.

P.S. Is it a place where you have to book in advance, or can you usually turn up ad-hoc and they'll have a few tables spare, do you know?

They had set up some outdoor seating the last time I went, Leigh. They should probably be able to fit you in if you turn up ad-hoc but worth ringing ahead anyway.

Hello,

Does anyone have any suggestions for a nice restaurant with a good but affordable wine list?

I'm going with a few friends who aren't too knowledgeable about wine so nothing extravagant, just good value.

I have been to Noble Rot a few times so somewhere different would be nice.

Thank you in advance.

George
I would suggest La T, Chez Bruce and Glasshouse (although they're not particularly central)

Andrew Edmunds is the perfect choice. For something a bit more mainstream 28-50 seem to be still going and I think have just opened a new venue on the King's Road (allegedly also opening at Oxford Circus soon, although will that impact Marylebone?).

Actually, around Oxford Circus, for anyone who liked the sadly closed Terroirs, Antidote Wine Bar (near Carnaby St) comes highly recommended. Their list is "natural" but whereas Terroirs sold the wines of owner Les Caves de Pyrene, Antidote has tapped into the brilliant list of Dynamic Vines. Some serious kit if you want natural wines.

Terroirs Dulwich is good, if atrociously located for most people, but at least it remains open.

For a different experience anyone might try Winemakers Club in the Holborn Viaduct Railway Arch. The food is more "snacky" but the wines are eclectic. It's very dark. When it's full it buzzes, but at other times it can be very quiet. But what sets it apart is its uniqueness. It doesn't try to be "commercial".

**ALL of these are a big step downmarket from Alex's three beautiful suggestions, of course, but I was thinking more of a Terroirs alternative than the fine dining they offer, with their well-earned Michelin stars.

I'd vote for Andrew Edmunds too. A whole different ball-game from Chez Bruce or La Trompette in terms of price and style; a slightly cramped Parisien bistro vibe and much simpler food, but the few times I have been, always excellent and great wine choices. Ages since I've been to either a 28-50 or Terroirs I must say, but they'd fit the bill too if a slightly livlier, wine-bar-ish atmosphere is preferred?

I'd vote for Andrew Edmunds too. A whole different ball-game from Chez Bruce or La Trompette in terms of price and style; a slightly cramped Parisien bistro vibe and much simpler food, but the few times I have been, always excellent and great wine choices. Ages since I've been to either a 28-50 or Terroirs I must say, but they'd fit the bill too if a slightly livlier, wine-bar-ish atmosphere is preferred?
Did you know Terroirs Charring Cross closed, Tom? A sad loss.

I see Hedonism are opening a pub with a big wine list, I wonder if that will be any good.

I don't think I could feel any more out of touch.

Andrew Edmunds was a great shout I think.

I used to love 28-50 in all of its locations, but the collectors' list has ceased to be the well-priced treasure trove that it used to be. still a sensible list, but not worth making the journey for.

We had a lovely time at Andrew Edmunds a few weeks ago. Unfortunately we received an email from them over the weekend saying they needed to close temporarily due to staff shortages.

ANDREW EDMUNDS

TEMPORARY CLOSURE​
It is with great sadness that we will have to temporarily close our doors.

Due to a number of staff having to self isolate, we are unable to properly staff the restaurant.

We will be in contact with everyone that has a reservation during the closure. We are deeply sorry for any inconvenience caused.

We are intending to open again on Monday 2nd August.

Reservations will remain open for after this date.​