NWR Any twitchers here?!

Seen a stunning hawk flying around our garden over the last few weeks. A good 3-4 foot wingspan and fantastic to watch as it swoops around the trees. Happened to be on a conference call looking out of our dressing room window this afternoon and there it was, sitting at the top of a pine tree about 30 feet from the window. I managed to get one photo of it before it flew away but what an incredible predator. My first thought was a female sparrowhawk but it seemed both too big and the tail too short. Any experts here?

Attachments

• A7923AB1-E719-44EC-BEBC-CF4CBB4F8121.jpeg
    A7923AB1-E719-44EC-BEBC-CF4CBB4F8121.jpeg
    72 KB · Views: 174
Definitely not a kite as breast was white. Could be a buzzard but again breast is all white so seems not although size wise seems to fit better than a sparrowhawk.

Although a white breast suggests an Osprey to me, is there much water around, Dan? But as Mark says Buzzard do seem to have a wide range of making and indeed size at the moment.

There’s a few large ponds around but would be very surprised it it was an osprey. Do buzzards attack other birds and fly as low as 5-6 feet above the ground?

We’ve had a sparrowhawk in the garden. It happened to be on the RSPB garden bird watch day a couple of years back so I couldn’t believe my luck.

My best ever sighting was as a child on holiday with parents in Scotland. We were driving up the west coast and I looked out and saw a golden eagle perched on a rock by the side of the road.

Definitely looks like a Buzzard. Quite a common bird of prey more usually seen in fields and roadside. They tend to prefer carrion to actually hunting for themselves but will do. A golden eagle is a much larger bird and unlikely to be seen in the wild in England mainly being found in Northern Scotland and Northern Ireland. An Osprey is more black and white in colour with a white breast and under shoulder.
Buzzards' plumage varies a lot but is mainly dark and light brown. It makes a cat-like 'mewing' high-pitched call and is often seen soaring on the wind fairly high in the sky.

Where does he go when not sitting in your tree? There may be a nest nearby and its young should be fledging fairly soon, but they stay with the parents for another couple of months afterwards.

Seen a stunning hawk flying around our garden over the last few weeks. A good 3-4 foot wingspan and fantastic to watch as it swoops around the trees. Happened to be on a conference call looking out of our dressing room window this afternoon and there it was, sitting at the top of a pine tree about 30 feet from the window. I managed to get one photo of it before it flew away but what an incredible predator. My first thought was a female sparrowhawk but it seemed both too big and the tail too short. Any experts here?
Where is this? What part of town?