TN Ataraxia Earthborn 6 Barrels Chardonnay 2020

I have a bit of a thing for Ataraxia chardonnay. I first tried it over a decade ago and was bowled over by it. This is a top selection from 2020.

Light straw colour. The nose is a little reticent at first but swirling opens it up, a touch of creamy , hazelnut oak. Top notes of green fynbos ( I know that sound pretentious ) but its that piney herby note you get in wine from SA. Peaches, and tropical / pineapple touches with an apple edge. Loads going on, really complex and alluring. The palate follows, razor sharp, crystalline and mineral. Creamy fine green fruit and pineapple. Long, beautiful balance, fine and elegant. This is spellbinding chard, candidate for my white wine of the year. Young but already singing, has plenty in the tank for ageing. Haven't a clue if it is still available on the market , but if you see it, don't hesitate to try it. Oustanding

I have a bit of a thing for Ataraxia chardonnay. I first tried it over a decade ago and was bowled over by it. This is a top selection from 2020.

Light straw colour. The nose is a little reticent at first but swirling opens it up, a touch of creamy , hazelnut oak. Top notes of green fynbos ( I know that sound pretentious ) but its that piney herby note you get in wine from SA. Peaches, and tropical / pineapple touches with an apple edge. Loads going on, really complex and alluring. The palate follows, razor sharp, crystalline and mineral. Creamy fine green fruit and pineapple. Long, beautiful balance, fine and elegant. This is spellbinding chard, candidate for my white wine of the year. Young but already singing, has plenty in the tank for ageing. Haven't a clue if it is still available on the market , but if you see it, don't hesitate to try it. Oustanding

Probably wine of the trip so far, red or white.

I had searched too and there were a couple of red herrings - a limited release Chard where only 5 barrels were made - but couldn't find this one. We are actually heading to Hemel-en-Aarde today, and will be passing Ataraxia tomorrow no doubt, so...

Will be there ourselves later today for next few days . You never know, we may run into one another. :) Actually, Hermanus is now my favourite place in South Africa and glad we bought a small apartment there on the water, a few years ago.
Will try and seek out this wine , but it will have to go some for me to be better than the Miles Mossop Saskia, although obviously this is not a Chardonnay

Keith, we have no firm plans for tomorrow, just a run upbthe HeA Road to visit one or two producers and maybe a light lunch at Spookfontein. Maybe we could meet for coffee or a glass of wine somewhere?

Tom we actually are meeting old friends from Hong Kong there but let’s see if possible. By the way, Spookfontein make a great steak but , as you no doubt know , it’s worth going there for the spectacular views !!

Pleased to advise have secured from my friends at Wine Cellar 12 bottles of the Ataraxia:) will take a few bottles back to U.K. as will be good to taste against that Kumeu Mates 2014 you and I have @Raymond Tilney
If you don’t manage to bring some back I can supply both.
Now that would be a change, me tabling wines for you.

Mind I am fresh out of Petrus, Leroy, Leflaive and many of the icons you have shared over the years

If you don’t manage to bring some back I can supply both.
Now that would be a change, me tabling wines for you.

Mind I am fresh out of Petrus, Leroy, Leflaive and many of the icons you have shared over the years
Be a pleasure to share them with you Ray and no doubt a few others from my cellar. Maybe invite the Don and have at the new Patra restaurant?