TN Back to the future

I moved from Ireland to Canada (Vancouver) almost 2 years ago and avid wine lover but unfortunately horrible foreign wine taxation policies have turned me into a beer lover over the past couple of years. So much so, that I can probably count on 2 hands the number of bottles of wine that I have drunk in my time over here. A family bereavement provided an unplanned opportunity to venture back to the Emerald Isle and, once the funeral festivities were completed, a chance to try a few decent wines again.

2006 Mugneret Gibourg Vosne Romanee: Soft and supple with dark fruits, earth and a little spice. Relatively light texture but good length. A very well made village level wine, but nothing more.

2014 Philippe Chavy Puligny Montrachet 1er Pucelles: Some fine french oak up front but after some time this mellowed out a little. Mouthfilling, great length and a fine balance between fruit and mineral elements. Really delicious although clearly far too young.

2011 Roumier Chambolle Musigny: Still very young, with some oak notes sticking out. Rich (rather than tart) red berry fruits fruits and some earthy notes. Long and classy, needs time

2005 Jadot Nuits St George 1er Boudots: Drinking really well. Very mouthfilling, with black fruits, earth and spice. Smooth, yet grippy and incredibly long. Delicious!

2011 Vincent Dancer Meursault 1er Perrieres: Corked or Poxed, not sure what exactly was wrong but this was a real disappointment

2003 Dujac Clos De La Roche: WOTW. The best wine I've had in a quite a while (at least for the last 2 years;)). Very beguiling on the nose, deep, rich (but balanced), spicy, sous bois, red and black fruits, constantly shifting and evolving. The palate follows through with a gorgeous texture and phenomenal length. Only downside was a little bit of heat from the vintage. Brilliant wine! This will age effortlessly, but is very enjoyable today.

Overall a really nice bunch of wines each drinking as one would hope (except for the flawed Dancer). Having stepped away from wine for 2 years and gained perspective, my mind now boggles at the price of some of these bottles. I can understand the premium for the Grand Cru, but can't help but think that the Village wines (and even the 1er crus) should be more reasonable given the quality of wine in the bottle. I'm glad to still have access to some library stocks of these wines, but I won't be refilling any time soon at current market prices. At my current consumption rate though (a case a year), I probably have a lifetimes supply in the cellar already...

Last edited:
I moved from Ireland to Canada (Vancouver) almost 2 years ago and avid wine lover but unfortunately horrible foreign wine taxation policies have turned me into a beer lover over the past couple of years. So much so, that I can probably count on 2 hands the number of bottles of wine that I have drunk in my time over here. A family bereavement provided an unplanned opportunity to venture back to the Emerald Isle and, once the funeral festivities were completed, a chance to try a few decent wines again.

2006 Mugneret Gibourg Vosne Romanee: Soft and supple with dark fruits, earth and a little spice. Relatively light texture but good length. A very well made village level wine, but nothing more.

2014 Philippe Chavy Puligny Montrachet 1er Pucelles: Some fine french oak up front but after some time this mellowed out a little. Mouthfilling, great length and a fine balance between fruit and mineral elements. Really delicious although clearly far too young.

2011 Roumier Chambolle Musigny: Still very young, with some oak notes sticking out. Rich (rather than tart) red berry fruits fruits and some earthy notes. Long and classy, needs time

2005 Jadot Nuits St George 1er Boudots: Drinking really well. Very mouthfilling, with black fruits, earth and spice. Smooth, yet grippy and incredibly long. Delicious!

2011 Vincent Dancer Meursault 1er Perrieres: Corked or Poxed, not sure what exactly was wrong but this was a real disappointment

2003 Dujac Clos De La Roche: WOTW. The best wine I've had in a quite a while (at least for the last 2 years;)). Very beguiling on the nose, deep, rich (but balanced), spicy, sous bois, red and black fruits, constantly shifting and evolving. The palate follows through with a gorgeous texture and phenomenal length. Only downside was a little bit of heat from the vintage. Brilliant wine! This will age effortlessly, but is very enjoyable today.

Overall a really nice bunch of wines each drinking as one would hope (except for the flawed Dancer). Having stepped away from wine for 2 years and gained perspective, my mind now boggles at the price of some of these bottles. I can understand the premium for the Grand Cru, but can't help but think that the Village wines (and even the 1er crus) should be more reasonable given the quality of wine in the bottle. I'm glad to still have access to some library stocks of these wines, but I won't be refilling any time soon at current market prices. At my current consumption rate though (a case a year), I probably have a lifetimes supply in the cellar already...
Will, good to hear from you. I’d not seen any of your wonderful photos on social media for ages. And Vancouver is somewhere I really want to see, my wife having experienced it for work some years ago.

Will, good to hear from you. I’d not seen any of your wonderful photos on social media for ages. And Vancouver is somewhere I really want to see, my wife having experienced it for work some years ago.

Hi David,

The camera on my phone is on the fritz, which has inhibited my social media posts over the past number of months. Still enjoying a range of great adventures exploring this beautiful country. I'll be looking into a replacement phone in time, which should allow me to resume normal service levels. I'm still very much enjoying your blog posts and instagram snaps.

Cheers,
Will

Hi David,

The camera on my phone is on the fritz, which has inhibited my social media posts over the past number of months. Still enjoying a range of great adventures exploring this beautiful country. I'll be looking into a replacement phone in time, which should allow me to resume normal service levels. I'm still very much enjoying your blog posts and instagram snaps.

Cheers,
Will
Thanks Will. If I do make Va one day I shall say hi!