Booths range; does is vary materially by store?

Am heading to the Dales next weekend, and am willing to take a slight detour en route to check out the range at Booths.

The stores closest to my route are Knutsford, Chorley, Clitheroe and Settle. Already planning to stop in Clitheroe BTW but not sure if any of these stores likely to have a larger or smaller range than others.

Whilst trying to answer my own questions searching for Booths am also likely to visit Whalley Wines and the Bowland Food Centre BTW so thanks to Andrew S for those reccos.

Cheers in advance.

Have no idea about Booths range, the bigger stores have better selections usually in my limited experience, Clitheroe is a medium sized store compared to Keswick. Note that Byrnes have temporarily moved from the store location in King st to thier warehouse. Check their website for details. The good news is the wines are all there, and you don't hit your head going to look at Australian wines. Plus parking is easy.

Knutsford is (or was) considered a bit of a flagship store and certainly bigger than most.

Currently 25% off a decent selection of single bottles, mostly in the £9-15 bracket before discount. As far as I know there remains a barely-publicised 5% off 6+

Don't forget their grocery range - many smaller/regional suppliers that are not represented in the larger supermarkets.

We did the same as you last month, Neil. I don’t recall a significant difference between the Settle and Kendal stores, though the latter might have been slightly larger, but I didn’t look at wine in either. The Clitheroe one struck me as more basic. Booths on good form in the new location and I think they will retain both shops when King St reopens.

The range does vary slightly. Chorley never has the Kumeu River Estate Chardonnay, for example, whereas the larger stores tend to. Not a lot in it but don't go to the Chorley store.

It does vary, but not enormously.

Windermere tends to have a few premium bottles that I've not seen in other stores, presumably because they know they get Londoners passing through there that can afford £100+ for a bottle of wine.

Don't know Knutsford, but it's in Cheshire so there's a lot more money sloshing around than, say, Chorley.

Preston and Garstang both have quite big drinks areas, but it's surprising how much they manage to cram into smaller spaces like Scotforth.

I seem to think Chorley was quite a new build, so is likely to have a good selection.

Based on my limited experience, the Knutsford store does seem to carry quite a wide selection across a range of categories.
I was hunting for my 'namesake' Henderson's relish one time and it was the only Booths near my mother in law's that stocked it.

*was

Closed a couple of months ago after 10 years. I understand they always struggled to make it work and I think the diminished footfall resulting from lockdown was the final nail in the coffin.
I didn’t know that, Paul. It’s a shame but I can understand how they will have struggled during the lockdowns.

Good as Knutsford is, the wine range is a poor shadow of what it used to be when it sold first growth claret and vintage port etc. I remember being in there once many years ago when they had multiple vintages of Ch Palmer. I commented on this to one of the staff and he explained that Mr Edwin (Booth) loved Ch Palmer.

I'm just adding to the general consensus that Knutsford is probably the best branch. I've been in quite a lot of them over the years, and tended to end up either in that branch or the Penrith branch when I was driving to Scotland (the latter being the furthest north.) Although I'd have to agree with Colin that the wine selection isn't what it was; I've been buying at least as much beer there as wine of late!