Food Charcuterie

Can anyone recommend online retailers of charcuterie? The ostensible excuse for the order is to bring comfort-in-the-shape-of-food to a coughing 11 year old with a taste for smoked German salami, saucisson sec and various Italian salami also. The underlying priority is to make sure his parents end up with good things to eat too.

Last edited:
This is unhelpful, I know; might risk the appearance of mean-spiritedness when that is not the intention. But the title of the thread takes me to a couple of my favourite charcuteries in Ardeche, and it isn't the ham I miss so much as the terrines, pates, etc. Each visit, I come back with more than I should, like a kid in a pick-and-mix sweet shop, but not restrained by only having the funds for one bag of sweets. Oh, and then there's the rillettes, too. And perhaps some Ardeche specialities - some maouche and caillette. Some of those, some cornichons and good bread, and then curiously it really is all about the wine. No need to cook, nothing else needed, so many wines suited to the food that the choices open up, each to be flattered in a different way by the meat, and with the fat to transport the flavour, soften the texture, apply to the bread, and then be cut by the wine.

Last edited:
Terrines, pates, rillettes and caillettes etc can perfectly well be made at home with rather little effort whereas dried hams and sausages are pretty difficult for most of us.

Champagne... Those pates do nothing for it, and it does nothing for them. Ham, on the other hand... I think it can be a lovely match, and the same for the right sherries. Different pleasures open up.

Not quite what you expect but surely will expand your 11 year old tastes...towards the more expensive side of the spectrum. Actually good value charcuterie for what it is and they deliver everywhere. Not only jamon/ham
▷ Comprar Jamón Ibérico online. Directo de fábrica - Envío gratis
more precisely
▷ Embutido ibérico - Ofertas de fábrica al mejor precio. ENVÍO GRATIS
some good saucisson
Felt guilty not to include a good French supplier
- Pierre Matayron
Great link Antoine, negotiating with Mrs A. on a Paleta of 5J Iberico for Xmas!

I like these people very much. I especially recommend the Sicilian Black Pig Salsiccia and the Stroglinho (both under Salami):

The Ham & Cheese Co

I usually go to their actual shop in Bermondsey where they sell me the ends for rather less than the sliced meat tends to go for, but the sausages will ship well etc. The Culatello is quite something, but you seem to have to buy a whole one for 162 pounds....

Last edited:
I like these people very much. I especially recommend the Sicilian Black Pig Salsiccia and the Stroglinho (both under Salami):

The Ham & Cheese Co

I usually go to their actual shop in Bermondsey where they sell me the ends for rather less than the sliced meat tends to go for, but the sausages will shop well etc. The Culatello is quite something, but you seem to have to buy a whole one for 162 pounds....
One of the highlights of Spa Terminus!

See the chapter devoted to it in Burton Anderson's glorious The Pleasures of the Italian Table.

They sometimes have the other muscle from the behind (culaccia I think) cured by the same people and that is pretty stunning too. I only get slices of the culatello very rarely but it is always worth it. One day I will go crazy and find a reason to buy a whole one.

I will investigate the Anderson.

Love Basco for Spanish. Agree with Nayan, about Hammond Charcuterie in Berwick on Tweed, even if she uses UPS, who always send my orders on day trips to completely unrelated parts of the UK.

You have to keep an eye on the Hammond Charcuterie website for when what you want is in stock, and buy quickly and in quantity. The sabadiejo and venison & chanterelle salamis are superb, as is the venison haggis. Goose rillettes are ace too, but need to be rationed.

I like Paleta perhaps even more than Jamon, but carving it requires great expertise, possibly rendering it particularly suitable for the medically qualified. Occasionally 'semi-deshuesado' versions are available, which are an excellent compromise.