Christmas beers!

Just an open thread to see if anyone's bought anything nice on the beer front. I took delivery today of 25 bottles from Trembling Madness in York - a mix of mainly brown / strong beers (Belgian/Brit/German) and good quality German lagers.

A lovely thick warming brew seems to be the perfect foil for the grim weather and grimmer outlook, so bring on the dubbels!

Last edited:

Tom Cannavan

Administrator
Well, we opened and shared a bottle of 2005 Fuller's Vintage Ale today - cellared for 14 years or so (and 12 years passed its marked 'best by' date) and it was glorious. Deep, spicy, malty and hoppy. Only beer we've bought in for the Christmas season is the deeply unseasonal Anchor Steam. Wish I could find the Anchor celebration Ales, but haven't seen them for ages.

I remember seeing a whole range of vintages at the Parcel Yard at Kings Cross Tom. Some of those must have been "well past" as well, but selling at £25 or so... ;)

I've got in a selection from quite a few of the more venerable Belgian brewers - Maredsous, La Trappe, St Bernardus, Kasteel, De Halve Maan, Chimay, Rochefort - and most of these have a good 3-4 years on the best before. Put enough stuffing and abv in there and they'll soldier on merrily for a while I think.

Amazingly, I got these beers through within a day so at a squeak you might be able to get some before the day if interested (no connection obvs, just impressed with the range and service). Imagine you've got enough wine though :)

Ordered a reasonable selection from somewhere in Didcot early in the week, including, to name but a few; Rochefort 10, Bernardus 12, Schneider Weisse Aventinus, Bush De Noel, De Dolle Stille Nacht/Oerbier and Ayinger Oktoberfest Marzen. It's a perfect time of year for the higher ABV sipping beers and this should keep me going until, oh, at least January!

Tom Cannavan

Administrator
Yes, we shared the 2005 Fuller's, in stemmed glasses, sipping it like a wine. Fabulous. Have one more to open sometime in the next few days.

Aventinus is so complex it's untrue - definitely wine-like.

I'm jealous of the Marzen, prob my favourite style - you've done well to get that Ed as most places seem to sell out by mid-Oct!

Last edited: