NWR COSM chair for your Home Office -

Tom Cannavan

Administrator
Important to get an office chair right, especially if spending 10 hours a day in it as I so often end up doing. Recently had a new on made by a UK firm to my specification (well, more made to measure by choosing from a bewlidering range of options than bespoke) and very pleased with it.

Sorry to say, but the combo of the hard plastic rim across the front of the seat and the relatively soft mesh support of herman miller chairs just about crippled my legs until I switched chairs 4 years ago. Caused excruciating pain in the outside of my lower hamstrings just above the knee where the hard plastic rim dug into the back of my legs. Required serious physio and extremely painful massage therapy to fix the problem. Will never, ever sit in one again, even for a few minutes!

Sorry to say, but the combo of the hard plastic rim across the front of the seat and the relatively soft mesh support of herman miller chairs just about crippled my legs until I switched chairs 4 years ago. Caused excruciating pain in the outside of my lower hamstrings just above the knee where the hard plastic rim dug into the back of my legs. Required serious physio and extremely painful massage therapy to fix the problem. Will never, ever sit in one again, even for a few minutes!

Ouch!

Here a review from March via Amazon (verified purchase) about COSM:

"I work from home as a software developer, so I'm sitting down on my computer all day. And after that, it's playing games all night. Bottom line, I'm sitting down all day. For years I've been using different type of chairs, those that they sell on office supply stores, the $200-$300 leather ones. After sitting down in those all day, the pain in my lower back is terrible. I have two herniated discs so all those other chairs were doing more harm than good. And after a while, the piston stops working and you sink down, and the leather starts cracking and itching you and you have to throw them away and get a new one.

This chair is worth every penny. Because of the mesh, you feel like you are floating on air. But good air that supports all your body. Like the headline says, my lower back pain has drastically reduced, because I feel like this chair auto adjusts to your body and works more like a car's suspension than a cushion. It is perfect in every way. The fact that its a mesh, it means your body can breathe and you don't get sweaty from sitting down on it.

Price is high, but think about it. The typical chair you buy at a store dies within a few years, does you no good and doesn't have good warranty. This chair comes with like 12 year warranty or something, so if you do the math, it will cost about the same year-over-year if you buy a crappy one, plus this one just feels so good that your back will appreciate it."

From his description, sounds like the chair Dan had a bad experience with was an Aeron - I’ve found them to be similarly uncomfortable. If you watch the video this new chair doesn’t have a rim that would touch your legs.

Another award today - IF Design Award

Cosm designed by Studio 7.5 for Herman Miller

Here are the other awards for COSM in the last months.

German Design Award 2020
Gold - DDC Award Gute Gestaltung - Deutscher Designer Club 2019
Red Dot Best of the Best Product Design 2019
TIME Magazin: Top 100 Innovations 2019
Best of NeoCon Gold - NeoCon 2018
Interior Design HiP Award - NeoCon 2018
Fast Company Innovation by Design Award 2018
Dezeen Workplace Design Award Shortlist 2018
Orgatec Innovation Award - Orgatec 2018
Gold bei New York DRIVEN x DESIGN Awards

Where’s the best place to buy in the U.K. Martin?

I’m suffering with incredible back pain and I’m putting it down to hours and hours in my home office due to lockdown. I need a new chair.
I am very glad to have bought my Aeron which is extremely comfortable. I am still keen to investigate standing desks when I am able to try a few out. I also changed my keyboard, mouse, monitor positions etc.

For what it's worth Joel my back pain was improved by a new chair, exercise etc but not sorted. In the end I went to an amazing physio who found something had popped out and popped it back in and I have been pain free ever since. It may be that you have suffered some proper damage and the money I spent getting mine resolved was the best I have ever spent.

Where’s the best place to buy in the U.K. Martin?

I’m suffering with incredible back pain and I’m putting it down to hours and hours in my home office due to lockdown. I need a new chair.

Joel,

here you will find a shop/dealer in UK.

It's important to note that our COSM chair has 3 arm options, fixed&adjustable and the new leaf arms. ENJOY

Where to Buy

Regarding back pain, the relatively famous artist, Carly Kuhn "thecartorialist" from LA posted this yesterday on Instagram:

"Speaking of chairs...in love with my new Cosm chair from Herman Miller. As someone who is prone to slouching and back pain, this new addition to my studio is the perfect work from home studio upgrade. Bonus- form doesn’t compromising function"

You all know me for my passion for Riesling&Cooking. There is another passion, DESIGN.

There is no commercial interest in posting this information.I am just a happy father about a new baby..........

Greetings from Berlin,
Martin

It’s rather beautiful. I’d love one but I’m going to guess it will blow two or three year’s wine budget?