Dönnhoff help

That's exactly what I was hoping to hear, thanks Simon!
The Trimbach-is it a full on sweet wine and what would be the ideal match for that?

Yes the Felsenberg I’d agree on in that probably drinking about now but another 20 years and more in the tank.
Other one I’ve never had but im sure will be a cracker. Nice gifts.

The Clos st Hune is the best wine from Alsace and is one of the world’s greatest wines. Should be rich and intense rather than sweet

That's the "premium" late harvest version, so was probably on the sweeter side in its youth, but at that age, like an old Sauternes, is probably into the rich, honeyed, spicy stage. Should still have plenty of acidity to carry it off.

That's exactly what I was hoping to hear, thanks Simon!
The Trimbach-is it a full on sweet wine and what would be the ideal match for that?
It’s a special selection VT from a warmer year which was great for sweets in the Loire, I’m not sure if that would also apply In Alsace, but I would think it should be in a very good place, not fully sweet and some of the sugar should be eaten by now, with bags of acidity, I’ve never tried one, lucky you !

I've had the Trimbach once, it was a very special wine indeed: there's some sweetness there but with incredible raciness and acidity too. One of those wines that is massive and concentrated while remaining balanced and elegant. Enjoy...!

I've also had that Trimbach, was rather good:

1989 Trimbach Riesling Clos Ste. Hune Vendanges Tardives - France, Alsace (10/8/2019)
Lovely pale amber. Could nose this all night - alluring marmalade mixed with intriguing old fabrics and spice. Not that sweet, but hard to assess this given the weight of the wine. Rich, tangy and complex on palate - lime chutney, peaches, white tea, blue cheese. Really long finish. Extraordinary! (95 pts.)

1989 Trimbach Riesling Clos Ste. Hune Vendanges Tardives - France, Alsace (10/8/2019)
Lovely pale amber. Could nose this all night - alluring marmalade mixed with intriguing old fabrics and spice. Not that sweet, but hard to assess this given the weight of the wine. Rich, tangy and complex on palate - lime chutney, peaches, white tea, blue cheese. Really long finish. Extraordinary! (95 pts.)
Sounds delicious!

Slightly different wine to yours Nick as Jim’s is VT “Hors Choix” which is an extremely rare super selection of grapes from old vines and will be even better theoretically.
I had a glass of it once (in 2009)!

Last edited: