David Bowie passes away

I am shocked to hear this breaking news on BBC. Apparently from cancer.

One of the most iconic Rock stars of my time. A loss to the music world. I remember nicking my Dad's Ziggy Stardust album, and then my sister nicking it from me. I cherished the album.

Amazing artist. RIP David Bowie/ Ziggy Stardust

Terribly sad news. Was listening to the new album repeatedly last night and was surprised to hear it again when I turned on the radio this morning. What an amazing artist he was. Been listening to his music for over 40 years.

In school first thing this morning, all my Year 11 students were talking about Bowie, and wanting to hear his songs on you tube.

The fact that his death has had impact on a load of 15 & 16 year olds says it all really about his influence and legacy.

Shocking. Life is short, something one only comes to appreciate in later years. I remember being spellbound b his music, more than forty years ago.

We were listening to his new album over the weekend.

For many of us perhaps the most iconic artist of all, constantly reinventing himself; and what a note to bow out on.

Sitting here numb; unable to work.

Exactly, Tom. I bought Blackstar on Saturday and was just getting to know it.

So many Bowie memories, but hearing Hunky Dory at school when our English teacher got us to bring records, walking two miles to the city centre so I could afford Starman with my pocket money, and my first Bowie album, Aladdin Sane on musicassette, which has in later years become my most played of many Bowie CDs.

The biggest musical influence on me and a massive part of my life for as long as I can remember. Spent all of the Weekend listening to Blackstar on (magnificent) vinyl. To know that he created such a brilliant record knowing that he was dying is an inspiration. Just my favourite musical artist ever. My vinyl copy of Diamond Dogs is now virtually unplayable as it has been played so often.

I saw him at Wembley in 1976 in his Thin White Duke phase. So happy to have seen him live that once.

Look up here, I'm in heaven
I've got scars that can't be seen
I've got drama can't be stolen
Everybody knows me now

Lazarus

A song called Lazarus is a very different thing coming from a dying man.
What a testament to him that he spent some/most of his last months on earth making new music for us.
Now that we know that Blackstar was his epitaph and that he was very ill during the musical and video recordings.
Brave man sharing his pain and communicating with us all right to the end.
It will sound very different now, and far more poignant.

I'm pleased I played the new album a few times yesterday before the news. Not sure if I will be able to enjoy it now. Surprised how moved I am by his passing. Saw him at New Bingley Hall Stafford in 78 on the Stage tour and then my band opened for him on a South American tour in 97. It was quite something to see him play after us every night.

Last edited:
A great loss. A brilliant musician, songwriter and performer who always remained cool. I loved the way he could take the essence of a musical era and both sum it up and make it unmistakably his own.

Although I have quite a few Bowie albums on CD (especially the earlier ones) I can't claim to have been one of his most die-hard fans, although albums like Hunky Dory, Ziggy and David Live have *always* been regulars on my playlist. And there's no doubting that he was one of the absolute elite, and undoubtedly one of the most important and influential artists the UK has ever produced. It's very touching to read and hear tributes from people to whom (for a variety of reasons) he meant so much.

By the way, Radio 2 is pretty much wall-to-wall Bowie music and discussions for the rest of the day (until 10pm, I believe - they've changed the schedule from what is shown on the website).

Well, it's taken me all morning to collect my thoughts on this: I don't mean I've been in floods of tears by any means, but just kind of fell into an enormous well of sadness. The one artist that has mean most to me, literally throughout my life. I was lucky to see him live twice, but christ do I wish it had been more often. I know some others won't agree, but really do believe he was a once-in-a-generation talent.

Just saw the video for Lazarus for the first time. Absolutely overwhelming.