TN Domaine de Trévallon Rouge & Blanc

FB_IMG_1610747233417.jpg
Domaine de Trévallon Rouge & Blanc

Arguably the finest wines of Provence

Cult producer from Les Baux de Provence. Eloi Dürrbach planted vines in the three valleys (Tre Vallon) in 1973. 17 ha of North-facing vineyards are farmed organically since the beginning. ⁣⁣

⁣⁣The unique style of red wines is defined by the blend that mirrors the domaine holdings planted equally between Cabernet Sauvignon and Syrah. Since that only 20% is allowed in AOC, Trévallon is labeled as a table wine.⁣⁣

⁣⁣2ha of vines are allocated for white wines whose blend is dominated by classic Rhone grapes: Roussanne, Marsanne and Clairette with 10% of Chardonnay. ⁣⁣

⁣⁣The winemaking is utmost natural. Always whole clusters and wild yeast. 24 months aging in foudres for reds. The elevage of whites takes 1 year in 50% new oak barrels. Reds undergo no filtration before bottling.⁣⁣

⁣⁣Trévallon wines benefit from long bottle aging and shine at their best after 15+ years from the harvest.⁣⁣

Wine labels have a strong aesthetic appeal. Those are the posters by Eloi’s father Rene, a painter and sculptor, a friend of Picasso and Albert Gleizes, a pioneer of cubism. ⁣⁣

1*iYg-6K2G24-ImgyZkss90A.jpeg

⁣⁣Blanc
Yellow golden oxidative wines of Southern style with a fuller body, oily texture. Cantaloupe, honeyed pear, marzipan, sugared quince and gooseberry, touch of oak.⁣⁣

2006 and 2008 are equally good, but 2004 stands out with lively acidity and pure harmony. ⁣⁣

⁣⁣Rouge
⁣⁣
Le marriage of Bordeaux with Hermitage.⁣⁣

⁣⁣Graceful wines with accentuated purity of fruits. Aromas swing back and forth from cassis, tobacco leaf, lead pencil shavings to spices, leather, red berries. ⁣⁣

2005 shows vibrant and juicy. 2003 grippes with youthful tannins. 2001 is complete effortless wine, ethereal with many layers for a long meditation.⁣⁣

1*haIFfZG4A0J2aqnJNpXZsw.jpeg

Thanks Stas, I’ve not looked at these vintages yet, bar the superb 01. One of my favourite domaines. First WP offline I ever organised was a complete vertical of the red from 81 to 03. Must have been 2007 or early 2008. Happy days. 89 was lovely over Christmas, but just starting to dry slightly. I find the whites a little too exotic and characterful.

Last edited:
I have a longer vertical, but had to break it into two parts. So in a few months I plan to dig deeper into older vintages of Rouge.
Fully agree with you on whites. 2001 red is magical. This is the 3rd time I am tasting it over the past 3 years and it holds its magnificent charm.
Great producer that mastered the blend of CS/Syrah.