TN Domaine Odoul-Coquard my favourite emerging Burgundy producer

1*7YxwhRPvwNcpcgFXqns92A.jpeg

Odoul-Coquard is one of my favourite emerging producers in Burgundy.

First time I came across this domaine was just a couple of years ago when I was preparing for Morey St. Denis grand tasting. The idea was to show the best producers, the best climats and the best vintages. As easy as that.

That was a truly all-stars tasting with such grands as Domaine des Lambrays, Mommessin, Armand Rousseau, Georges Roumier and Ponsot just to name a few. Almost all wines had been collected, but I was still missing the wine from La Riotte 1er Cru climat. I was looking at either Hubert Lignier or Perrot-Minot both from home commune of Morey-Saint- Denis. Somehow, I couldn’t find any which would be adequately priced or had good vintage.

That is when I came across Domaine Odoul-Coquard. 4th generation family run small domaine located in MSD. I took a risk and got a bottle of their Clos La Riotte 2003. To cut the long story short, that was the discovery of the night. It was voted 4th best wine of the night, being the cheapest bottle of the tasting.

Since then I was collecting their wines and never been disappointed.

This time we compared 3 wines from MSD and G-Ch.
Started with village level 2010 Morey St. Denis Les Crais-Gillon (89+). Very good fully developed wine at its peak maturity now. Dark berries, well integrated tannins and long pleasant finish. So much textbook MSD. 60 years old vines with small berries.

2010 Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Aux Combottes (94) was the WOT for me. Big wine of top 1er Cru level. With depth and breadth. Masculine with G-Ch character. Intense and very well structured.

This climat lies directly between Latricieres and Clos de La Roche on the same line with Chambertin. It is the microclimate which it should blame for not getting Grand Cru status. Berries don’t ripen as well as they do in neighboring GCs. Nevertheless, Aux Combottes wines are fantastic!

2011 Morey St. Denis 1er Cru Clos La Riotte (92+). Dark fruits, fine texture, elegant with touch of minerality on the palate.

Clos La Riotte is almost a monopole for Odoul- Coquard. They have the whole vineyard as metayeurs but from the commune, so 1/3 goes back to the village in bottle for fêtes, etc. The vines sit virtually on the rock almost touching Clos de la Roche. Wine aged 15–18 months in 50% new oak.

Not sure about 'emerging' Stas ;); Sebastien (Odoul) has been running the domaine since 2004. Great guy, super friendly (as are the whole team/family) and a thoughtful winemaker. Need to call again soon, its been too long.

Not sure about 'emerging' Stas ;); Sebastien (Odoul) has been running the domaine since 2004. Great guy, super friendly (as are the whole team/family) and a thoughtful winemaker. Need to call again soon, its been too long.
Let's put it this way, his wines are underrated and undervalued, delivering much beyond the pricetag.

Mark, any other suggestions for solid MSD winemakers which might be under radar?

Under the radar burgundy...I remember that.

It’s funny that producers I met - not more than a decade ago - because they were the only people doing visits on a Sunday - moved from producers I’d be too embarrassed to mention on this board, to being “exciting new producers” according to countless emails from wine merchants, to producers I can no longer afford to buy from.

No wonder craft beer is so popular...

I echo Mark's comments above about what a thoroughly nice, warm and engaging chap Sebastien is.

I'm not sure I feel as enthusiastic about the wines as Stas.

Improving for sure but, for me, in the second tier with some way to go in a similar way to say F. Esmonin.

I bought quite a few through Latimer - who since stopped importing as a tough sell - and whilst I'm not worried about prices they were ok rather than undervalued and most were available discounted later on. The problem with even up and coming producers is, if you discount secondary market pricing, wines are still mostly priced accordingly as Regional/Villages, 1er or Grand Cru in my experience.

I do agree though that the pick of the cellar is the Gevrey Chambertin Combottes, and for me also the - very small amount of - Chambolle Musigny Fuees.

The other plus is the domaine has a really nice spread of wines up and down the Cote as Sebastien is overseeing production for wider family I believe.

Coming back to Morey and noting my comment about pricing above I still feel wines from Lignier Michelot and Arlaud (to name two) are relative value just because Morey is a little bit less loved than Chambolle and Gevrey.

If you can get it on release I can't think of many wines which give me more joy than Fourrier's MSD Clos Solon. Just don't muscle in on my allocation thanks very much :)

Last edited:
Let's put it this way, his wines are underrated and undervalued, delivering much beyond the pricetag.

Mark, any other suggestions for solid MSD winemakers which might be under radar?

Stas, fully agree the O-C wines for me are under rated (caveat:- my tasting experiences are limited), and maybe under valued, to the current market anyway. Hope they stay that way (less pricey than many !). The position of the O-C property with signage, as the first property entering the village coming from the Gevrey side, is certainly a prominent one for/encouraging those looking for any visit without prior research/appointments.

Re other under the radar MSD producers I guess views on any such names will depend on one's definition of 'under the radar' & maybe your view there might differ markedly from mine ? After some thought, for me though, no names currently spring to mind as I think Morey as been particularly well researched/documented in recent times ,as not a 'big' place (!), pretty much all the winemakers have been identified to a greater or lesser degree. Also generation change at many of the Morey domaines has taken place such that the vigneron population is for now largely of an age 'settled'. My own delving about more recently has rather been with names from outside the village who make wines from Morey terroirs, e.g. Alain Michelot (Nuits) who produces Morey 1er Charrieres, as does Sigaut of Chambolle I believe; Duband/Feuillet (Chevannes - HCDN) - CdlR & Morey 1er Clos Sorbes etc.

If any names do come to mind I'll get back to you.

Under the radar burgundy...I remember that.

It’s funny that producers I met - not more than a decade ago - because they were the only people doing visits on a Sunday - moved from producers I’d be too embarrassed to mention on this board, to being “exciting new producers” according to countless emails from wine merchants, to producers I can no longer afford to buy from.

No wonder craft beer is so popular...

Not sure if this counts as under the radar but I find Rémi Jeanniard pretty hard to beat for sensible money MSD. His VV is available on the shelves for around £35 and is highly approachable with beautiful perfume and joyous red fruit.

I can only speak for his post 2014 efforts so no idea on longevity. Difficult to resist in its delectable first flushes of youth, though.

Not sure if this counts as under the radar but I find Rémi Jeanniard pretty hard to beat for sensible money MSD. His VV is available on the shelves for around £35 and is highly approachable with beautiful perfume and joyous red fruit.

I can only speak for his post 2014 efforts so no idea on longevity. Difficult to resist in its delectable first flushes of youth, though.

I tried the Jeanniard MSD VV twice in en primeur tastings this year. I was so bowled over by the aromas and lovely elegant fruit that I bought a half case. I can hardly wait to get my hands on it!

And how about Domain Alain Jeanniard? Should be coming from one family, right? I saw Alain Jeanniard wines in the market for reasonable prices, but never had the chance to actually taste them. Are they worth it?

And how about Domain Alain Jeanniard? Should be coming from one family, right? I saw Alain Jeanniard wines in the market for reasonable prices, but never had the chance to actually taste them. Are they worth it?
I haven't tried anything from Alain's side of the family but would of course welcome the opportunity. In fact, I haven't tried anything from Remi other than the VV. Would be interested to taste but supply seems to be scarce in the UK.

Thierry Brouin (CdL) recommended Alain’s wines. When I next popped into the Morey caveau & spotted his Fixin Perrière ‘15 on the shelf, I did the right thing.
I have drunk a couple of his Clos du Roy which is very decent. Not so convinced by his whites.

I thought I'd seen the Alain J wines in the Morey caveau - as you now confirm Mark, thanks. Never yet bought any though as I've always been intent on other bottles when I've ventured in there ;) - plenty of choice ! Any recco from the ace M. Thierry Brouin is powerful enough for me though.

Have been intrigued by researching Remi J. The winery location suggested by Google Maps explains to me why I couldn't put my finger previously on having seen any RJ building(s) before on my way too numerous jaunts over the years on foot or voiture around Morey. Reason is the RJ building location appears to be an anonymous looking industrial 'shed', way out beyond even the Arlaud cuverie, and probably as about as close, on a newly cleared looking piece of ground, as likely to be, to the Beaune-Dijon railway line - definitely in the far from the village centre flat 'badlands'. Its intriguing how many domaines now seem to be relocating away from historic, old style, village premises to new build/erected facilities on 'virgin' ground. Raphet, as an example, has a very 'flashy' glass and brick/stone building in such a location. Actually now think I've been past said building several times in our vendange transport without, until now, realising just what the building is. At least know where to visit now ! Can't imagine they get many visitors in that location - a good or bad thing dependent on one's point of view !

There are several new caveau down at the badlands. I’m guessing there are subsidies. Someone, to whom many of us are familiar & located near to Laurent Ponsot, would know the answer. It would be too intrusive to ask.
As for identifying growers premises, most seem to choose to be anonymous for security purposes.