NWR Ear worms...what's playing today?

I am always bemused by the ear worms that get going in this dull brain of mine, and won't be shifted. They seem the perfect illustration of Coward's quip on the potency of cheap music. Cheesy key changes, power chords, the lot, but usually in a very short loop, just a few bars. Occasionally it might be something worthy - a snatch of the Deutsche Requiem recently - but at Christmas it will more often be an extract from Phil Spector's Christmas album, planted by the muzak during a supermarket raid.
Today's delights is Aerosmith's 'Dream On' as the power chords roll and Steve Tyler goes up the octave, no idea where that came from. Sigh. What else is the forum playing today, I wonder?

Tom Cannavan

Administrator
Nothing particular at the moment, but the odd thing about those earworms for me, where you find yourself humming or singing the thing, is that it is often 100% subliminal: often it is a song I have no interest in and would never normally play, but clearly I've picked it up somewhere and it is lodged in my brain. Maybe the Oxford vaccine could build in an antibody.

I almost always have something playing in my head, usually from something I have been listening to a lot, and it often starts very first thing in the morning. Right now it's If I Was the Priest from Bruce Springsteen's fantastic new album, Letter to You.
When an annoying song gets there from hearing on the radio or in a shop, it can be hard to shift now matter how much you try. A music teacher friend gave me a good tip though, if you get an unwanted song in your head, sing the song Downtown to yourself and it quickly gets rid of the annoying one and then you can put another one in your head instead. Surprisingly, it usually works.

The trailer from the new BBC series has Steppenwolf’s Magic Carpet Ride firmly lodged in the canal at the moment. I’ve experienced far worse.

A music teacher friend gave me a good tip though, if you get an unwanted song in your head, sing the song Downtown to yourself and it quickly gets rid of the annoying one and then you can put another one in your head instead. Surprisingly, it usually works.

That's what's known as an earworm killer. Mine is the Smiths' This Charming Man. It doesn't always work, but more often than not it does the trick.

I have earworms every day - there's constantly a disco in my head. Often flitting in and out of 2 or 3 different songs. Usually entirely random and not caused by anything I'm aware of.

Todays is "freakin' out" by Graham Coxon, which at least is something I actually like.

Bizarrely, Napalm Death's "Amoral".
Never been into their stuff but stumbled across this song today and can't get it out of my head (to quote another Ear Worm).