ESW - A Hampshire newcomer - Goodworth Clatford Vineyard

We've been consciously trying to drink our way across local producers but a missing piece in the puzzle has been our closest vineyard in our neighbouring village of Goodworth Clatford. The only information I had until recently was that it would be sold via our village shop in due course. I was therefore delighted to note an ad in our Parish magazine announcing an open day and tasting for today. Unfortunately we were late in replying and it was full but the owners very kindly offered to tag stragglers on later. We therefore jumped on our bikes to see what the newest addition to the Test Valley wine scene is doing...

Goodworth Classic Brut 2018
Classic Champagne cepage (PN, PM, Chardonnay). First vintage from vines planted in 2015 in the owner's former pony paddock. About a foot of stony flint soil over chalk. Vinified up in Staffordshire - production is too small for Hattingley (our closest contract producers) to take on.
20210912_182239.jpg
Lightish nose; pear, vanilla cream. Delicate and fine. Very classically English. Not on a par with Raimes or Black Chalk yet but they've got a few years head start under their belt. Liked this much more than Hatttingley's Classic Cuvee though. I am looking forward to watching how things evolve... Bottles purchased for the ESW offline; I just need to work out a suitable date.

A perfect late English summer's day was a lovely backdrop to the tasting.
20210912_183208.jpg

We've been consciously trying to drink our way across local producers
What a lovely thing to be able to do. Unfortunately, I am not in a wine producing area yet, Merseyside may be one day :) . I am however trying to taste as many ESW as possible, which is a challenge as new ones like this keep coming on line.

Sounds like a nice drop, so will add it to my wish list, although maybe hard to source.

We've been consciously trying to drink our way across local producers
Have you tried this wine from my neighbours only about 10 miles from you?

Although my neighbours I've never tried it as I'm not that interested in sparkling wine and the price, last time I looked, was hard to swallow. No idea who makes the wine for them but what I can say is that the vineyard is on chalk with a southerly exposure. They haven't been going very long either.

I remember a Mr Trotter aiming to make the first Scottish wine a few years back in Fife “Château Largo” but after much excitement, the first vintage was spoiled. Not sure what happened after that!

What a lovely thing to be able to do. Unfortunately, I am not in a wine producing area yet, Merseyside may be one day :) . I am however trying to taste as many ESW as possible, which is a challenge as new ones like this keep coming on line.

Sounds like a nice drop, so will add it to my wish list, although maybe hard to source.
Mark - happy to pick one up for you and to post it? They may also do mail order but not sure!

Have you tried this wine from my neighbours only about 10 miles from you?

Although my neighbours I've never tried it as I'm not that interested in sparkling wine and the price, last time I looked, was hard to swallow. No idea who makes the wine for them but what I can say is that the vineyard is on chalk with a southerly exposure. They haven't been going very long either.
John - no I haven't but would be interesting to do so. Are there enough local forumites to warrant opening a few bottles at some stage (happy to host)? Could acquire some for that!

Nigel, that would be brilliant. Happy to send payment over before hand. Website seems to be down, so not sure how I could order one at the moment.

Actually, just looked again and it is working now. However just saying website coming soon.

Thanks Nigel. Please don’t put yourself out unduly, as I am happy to wait until it is more convenient for you, after all I hadn’t heard of them until this morning!

kind regards

Thanks Nigel. Please don’t put yourself out unduly, as I am happy to wait until it is more convenient for you, after all I hadn’t heard of them until this morning!

kind regards
Mark - I emailed them earlier to say thanks for entertaining us yesterday and asked about ordering to which the reply was 'We are in the process of finalising our website which will also have an online shop but it’s taking a bit longer than we had anticipated. In the meantime we can accept orders by emailing hello@goodworthclatfordvineyard.co.uk. Post & packaging will be approx £10.00 tbc'

No connection etc!

Thanks Nigel. This is the ongoing problem I have with this challenge. I only really want to try one bottle for now to tick it off the list, but paying £10 on a bottle for delivery is just not worth it. I am guessing that it wouldn’t be any cheaper if you had arranged it either.

Thank you anyway.

Another bunch of new ones for me, all medal winners in the recent IEWA 21 awards - D’Urberville, Dunnesforde and Hunter (Woodreed vineyards).

Again single bottle purchases not really practical. The list of wineries to try is growing more rapidly than my ability to purchase them.

D'Urberville is local to me. The 2014 was very tasty, drinking well over the past couple of years. We have one remaining & will leave it awhile. There was a gap of couple of years - the fruit may have gone elsewhere? - we have yet to try the new release.

It was the 2016 that won. The author of the Great British Wine article had it as the ‘stand out wine’.

love to try it but trying to justify £7.95 delivery on a single bottle.