NWR Euro 2020(ish)

I normally get super excited for competitions (wall charts, tickets for the matches etc)...... but this year obviously a slightly different buzz.

Nevertheless, really looking forward to 3 games a night.....

After many years of following England and going to the tournaments I'm battle-weary these days and expectations are very low.

Anyone brave enough for a prediction? On paper, I would say France have the strongest squad... but the Euros are a tricky competition to call....

I think if you look beyond France there’s a few in second spot. England among them, also Germany and Portugal.
I hope COVID doesn’t play a part. But Spain already have it!

France just look so strong on paper.

As ever, Italy and Germany seem to have big tournament mentality beyond squad strength.

Injuries to the defensive side have probably kaboshed England this time but I would be happy with playing some brave, attacking football for a change.

I also have a lot of respect for what Gareth Southgate has done in his role as manager.
He is a really decent human being.

I know the yadayadayada is 'it's a results driven business' but actually his success in the role transcends that imo.

Looking forward to it myself.

I was at all the Euro 96 England games - I was behind the goal when Gazza scored THAT goal..... goosebumps...... such a shame Wembley wont be full for that Scotland game. I've already got my table booked in the pub though.

My wife said to the kids last night "say goodbye to daddy, he is going away for a month"
Where is he going?
"Into his own little football world in front of the tv"

Can’t see England getting out of the group really. Poor (and porous) defence. Croatia are a bogey team and Scotland will be up for it. Love to be proved wrong of course. I think Belgium or France for the overall winner.

Can’t see England getting out of the group really. Poor (and porous) defence. Croatia are a bogey team and Scotland will be up for it. Love to be proved wrong of course. I think Belgium or France for the overall winner.
You will be proved wrong. Though you'd be shocked by how much the Scottis TV and radio pundits are exaggerating our chances. Even Craig Brown, a previous Scotland manager, has said we could win it. Its back to the days of Ally MacLeod followed by "heid in hauns" efter the first game. I know we've had a 23 year absence from the two major international competitions, so I don't understand the optimism. All I want is a win over Engerlund but we don't even have Leigh Griffiths in the squad to take the 24 yard, slightly off centre, free kicks. I'll be watching loads of matches but little expectation of us progressing from the group.

I'm properly nerding out today on the 3 games today.... Wales game was for the purists..... (masochists?).... but I'm hoping for a bit of Danish hipster football against Finland as I hoover down rosé while I live my life in the "no more than 10 steps from the sofa" rule for the next month.

Terrible event unfolding with Christian Eriksen of Denmark who seems to have collapsed out the blue on the pitch. He has been surrounded by players and medical staff who seem to have been attempting to resuscitate him. Really awful to see and can only think and pray for the player and his family.

1623586820099.png

Well, just had my Euro 2021 for cheeses! This was the Eurocheese 21 final:
- Two French cheeses: Epoisses and Valencay
- Two English cheeses from Wiltshire: A Royal Bassett Blue and a new cheese the farmer has just developed (he sells them in West Hampstead markets on Saturdays

This was intense competition... and, probably, England (Wiltshire) won it on penalties because the development cheese was special... An omen for the other one?

Last edited:
That England match was a slow and miserale 90 minutes. I'm just glad I was:

a) not in the stadium
b) had not paid money to watch it
c) had a massive stash of booze to help me through it.

Truly crap.
I have a lot of sympathy for your view Paul. I didn’t watch this particular game but generally speaking watching England play is a depressing, miserable and stressful experience, especially when England’s prospects have been hyped. It seems to have a damning and debilitating effect on the players. I have watched England play for 51 years, and over this period they have won sod all. The first game I watched was the defeat to Germany in the World Cup quarter final in Mexico, when England squandered a two goal lead to lose 3-2. May be this time is different, because we have a talented squad according to the pundits. But I doubt it. Southgate’s job does seem to be secure, though, whatever happens. I do enjoy watching other teams play in these tournaments, however, without the anxiety associated with watching Enger-land. Holland Ukraine was a cracking game.

Last edited:
That England match was a slow and miserale 90 minutes. I'm just glad I was:

a) not in the stadium
b) had not paid money to watch it
c) had a massive stash of booze to help me through it.

Truly crap.
Not to mention the £75 a head required to join the England away supports club in order to apply for tickets. £75 for each family member to enter a ballot that, even pre Covid, it materialised there was no realistic chance of getting any tickets.

Last edited: