Fourrier - longevity

I generally expect the last glass of a bottle of red burg to be all but undrinkable by the next evening, especially if reasonably mature, yet my last two Fourriers have belied that view. Is this a special quality of Fourrier wines?

• 2007 Domaine Fourrier Gevrey-Chambertin Aux Echezeaux Vieille Vigne - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Gevrey-Chambertin (04/01/2016)
    On first opening, this smelt off and looked brown. ("Oxidised" was my thought.) On tasting, it seemed OK. On decanting and pouring again, it looked a better colour, smelt fine, and tasted divine. The wonders of red burgundy. Although it got younger with time, it seems pretty ready and is especially good with food. Very Fourrier in terms of purity and weightlessness. Acidity is less spiky now than a couple of years ago.

EDIT: I left a glassful in the bottle under vacuvin. 3 days later, it still tastes lovely, which is a real testament to the wine, especially given the year and mere villages status. (91 pts.)
  • 2001 Domaine Fourrier Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Les Goulots Vieille Vigne - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru (23/11/2015)
    I can't say I loved this. Fairly strong acidic streak still a bit too prevalent. But fruit is pure. Try again in a couple of years.
    EDIT: enjoyed this far more on the second night - confirming that it should be better in a few years. Have increased rating accordingly. (90 pts.)
    Posted from CellarTracker

Thankyou Simon.

I have a case of the Gevrey Aux Ech '07 in storage and I have been meaning to pull it out for a while.

Perhaps not in quite the same way as an oxidised feel, I do have numerous experiences of Fourrier and others needing to hit the snooze button for 30 mins after opening.

A good shake in bottle, a good swirl in glass, a glass of something else first and then open for business!

I haven't bought Fourrier after 2005 and have tasted rather few.I had assumed the reductive non-degassed bottlings had become a bit more moderate, but clearly not.
It is becoming clear that these wines close just as much and possibly more than those of others in spite of their immediate accessibility. One can easily render them very enjoyable by means of what Alex describes-was this done at the Fourrier dinner last year?-but they at that point seem to fade quite quickly.