Gin Interaction with Mixers

Just thought I’d ask if this is a recognised “ thing”. I’ve drunk through a number of dry London gins, pomelo gins and a few others. I started with double Dutch tonic and lately fever free. With ice lemon and either tonic I've noticed quite a spritely effervescence.

I bought a new gin that’s got quite a lot going one, Monkey 47, then added a can of double Dutch with no lemon. It was like water quite quickly with no real fizz. Tonight I tried again with lemon and a fevertree bottle, initially it had more sprite but quickly became flat and somewhat lifeless,

Can it be that certain gin blends can take the effervescence from a drink. ?.., or am I imagining it.

Last edited:
Maybe it was in my mind and maybe readers here are wondering what I’m rambling on about.
Today I took a single shot of Tanqueray and a shot of monkey 47. One slice each and 4 ice cubes with a share of one small can of fevertree.
I don’t think there is any difference to be honest, well not much.

I thought that different styles of gin or mass of botanicals may react differently so was an honest question. Maybe the split may be more important as I was originally doing 4-5 shots a glass and are now measuring it and sticking with around 3 shots and sharing a bottle or using a small can per glass.

maybe the tanqueray holds a bit more zip after 15 mins but there isn’t a huge amount in it.

Probably a ratio thing, although I think Fever Tree is generally lightly carbonated with small bubbles and tends to go flat really quickly, especially with ice.

Maybe it was in my mind and maybe readers here are wondering what I’m rambling on about.
Today I took a single shot of Tanqueray and a shot of monkey 47. One slice each and 4 ice cubes with a share of one small can of fevertree.
I don’t think there is any difference to be honest, well not much.

I thought that different styles of gin or mass of botanicals may react differently so was an honest question. Maybe the split may be more important as I was originally doing 4-5 shots a glass and are now measuring it and sticking with around 3 shots and sharing a bottle or using a small can per glass.

maybe the tanqueray holds a bit more zip after 15 mins but there isn’t a huge amount in it.
Mike,
I am assuming the Ice quantity and type is a constant?
Also taking as a given that you are using Balls.

It is definitely something I have experienced, Mike, but I am unsure that the variable is the gin.

Without going too far down the rabbit hole - I think sometimes it is the glasses used (whether they have an appropriate nucleation point and whether there is any detergent residue).

Perhaps we need a gin offline to test the theories, although the only meaningful result will surely be that I drink far too much gin...

It is definitely something I have experienced, Mike, but I am unsure that the variable is the gin.

Without going too far down the rabbit hole - I think sometimes it is the glasses used (whether they have an appropriate nucleation point and whether there is any detergent residue).

Perhaps we need a gin offline to test the theories, although the only meaningful result will surely be that I drink far too much gin...
Yes it was just an off the cuff theory / question if there was perhaps an interaction with differing types of gin.
Ray - no I just go standard Ice cubes, about 5 of them, though maybe the problem was making smaller proportions as I had previously tended to do 4 or 5 shots with one bottle of FT. I thought I would start just having three shots so maybe that with less tonic and effectively more ice is taking the edge from it.
Oliver - always same glasses, I only have two. My Lingfield winner Gin glasses :)
The Gin offline would be rather messy and possibly curtailed I fear.

Last edited:
Perhaps one should make ice with heavily carbonated water, though I see an opportunity for the new generation of molecular cocktail artistes to devise bottle-fermented versions of gin and tonic. Another idea that has just occured to me is to buy one of the ready-mixed canned versions and to add extra gin to bring it up to strength.

For what it's worth, I don't rate Double Dutch tonic water at all, any time I've bought it (and all my previous purchases have been in can format) it's been pretty flat even after just being poured. Fever Tree has certainly been rather better in that regard.

For what it's worth, I don't rate Double Dutch tonic water at all, any time I've bought it (and all my previous purchases have been in can format) it's been pretty flat even after just being poured. Fever Tree has certainly been rather better in that regard.
Thanks Ed. Yes I think I prefer the bottles of DD but will test again this weekend. Wife was happy enough with it so just give to her.

This may have no scientific base, but we find that any tonic stored longer term in a fridge seems to loose effervescence.
Seems to apply to bottles and cans but more so bottles.
Of the brands Schweppes in can is the fizziest but we can’t stand the taste of the stuff.
We predominantly use Britvic in small bottles.
Fevertree Med is good for some of the flavoured gins, but about 2 yrs ago there was at the same time a hoo ha about sugar tax and a supply chai problem on carbonated drinks.
Since then Fevertree seems not to be the same as it was, across all variants.

Just hypothesizing - and we should probably ask an actual chemist - but could there be something in the composition of different gins which makes it easier for the CO2 in the tonic to bind with, making it less available for fizzing duties?

Just hypothesizing - and we should probably ask an actual chemist - but could there be something in the composition of different gins which makes it easier for the CO2 in the tonic to bind with, making it less available for fizzing duties?
Well that was my thought but have managed to improve the situation. Type of mixer helps of course but also putting ice, lemon and gin first with the tonic last which I may not have done every time. Drinking quickly also helps :)

I think that if I were a true gin nerd I would rather disapprove of tonic.
The gin and tonic is for me one of those drinks whose reality never quite lives up to the tantalising idea. The visually identical gin and soda has much to commend it, however

I think that if I were a true gin nerd I would rather disapprove of tonic.
The gin and tonic is for me one of those drinks whose reality never quite lives up to the tantalising idea. The visually identical gin and soda has much to commend it, however
Funny you should say that...i recently attended an online gin tasting with the Edinburgh gin company. For most of their gins they encouraged you to taste it neat, then with a garnish of some citrus peel, and then with 1-2x the volume of tonic as there was gin. At this level - in some cases the tonic really improved things.

It also made me realise that my mother was clearly 100% right when, as a boy, she would send me back to remake the G&T if the proportions weren’t at about that level...