Grenache blanc recommendations ?

I looked at Jancis's tasting notes database and The Foundry is consistently the best reviewed worldwide, and Lay & Wheeler have three vintages in stock for under £10/bottle, so do you need alternatives?

According to Jancis the Rall one is also good (I haven't tried it, but rate the other Ralls I've tried), and it's also available at L&W, although it's more expensive.

thanks.

I do need alternatives as I was also looking to purchase by the bottle and L&W are only offering it by case. I didn't see many alternatives when googling other retailers, a few but not much and it struck me I haven't heard of many other than the Foundry.

I am very impressed by Les Vignerons Parisien AN508 which is vilified in the Rue Turbigo. I understand the name is a nod to the founding date of the city. Fruit from Languedoc I believe. HRH was also impressed IIRC.

In my experience, Grenache blanc is more elegant and rewarding when blended with Grenache gris. Some Roussillon ones I recommend -
L'Argile, Domaine de la Rectorie
Cuvé Lais, Olivier Pithon
Coume Gineste, Domaine Gauby
Clos des Vignes, Domaine Gardies

Or if you want 100% Grenache blanc, there is this one from just over the border, Blanc dels Aspres, Vinyes dels Aspres.

I looked at Jancis's tasting notes database and The Foundry is consistently the best reviewed worldwide, and Lay & Wheeler have three vintages in stock for under £10/bottle, so do you need alternatives?

According to Jancis the Rall one is also good (I haven't tried it, but rate the other Ralls I've tried), and it's also available at L&W, although it's more expensive.

Yes, The Foundry is the highest noted for wines with Grenache blanc in their name but nearly all the top IGP Cotes Catalanes blanc from Roussillon are made from Grenache blanc and gris and several of them have better or equal scores to The Foundry. Just sayin' :)

Tom Cannavan

Administrator
Well worth investigating 'The Underworld' Grenache Blanc at around £10 (and in WoodWinters Chris) - fruit from Piekenierskloof and Paarl, wild yeast, bit of skin contact, all that stuff, and very nice. I scored it 90.

Tom Cannavan

Administrator
In fact:

The Underworld, Grenache Blanc 2018
Western Cape, South Africa, Dry White, DIAM, 13.5% abv
90/100
(2020) This wine is an example of how South African winemakers are rediscovering and celebrating their once neglected old vines. It blends Grenache blanc sourced from the on-trend northerly Piekenierskloof region, with old, bush vine Grenache Blanc from Paarl. Partly barrel fermented with wild yeasts, there's a light gold to the colour and it has a very appealing nose, broadly fruity and rich with stone fruits and lightly yeasty and earthy nuances, a bit of waxy lemon rind too. In the mouth it has that generosity of texture and full flavour, but pin-sharp acidity gives a delightfully juicy, moreish finish. Just delicious, and well-priced. See all stockists on wine-searcher.com

In fact:

90/100
(2020) This wine is an example of how South African winemakers are rediscovering and celebrating their once neglected old vines. It blends Grenache blanc sourced from the on-trend northerly Piekenierskloof region, with old, bush vine Grenache Blanc from Paarl. Partly barrel fermented with wild yeasts, there's a light gold to the colour and it has a very appealing nose, broadly fruity and rich with stone fruits and lightly yeasty and earthy nuances, a bit of waxy lemon rind too. In the mouth it has that generosity of texture and full flavour, but pin-sharp acidity gives a delightfully juicy, moreish finish. Just delicious, and well-priced. See all stockists on wine-searcher.com

Brilliant, thanks Tom. Will look out for it.

Ah. Here it is. Coume del Mas - Le Folio blanc.... lovely wine. I found it more elegant than the Foundry. A different interpretation of the same music, as it were.

Edit: Although looking at the blend it is Grenache Gris + Grenache Blanc.....
thanks Paul - where did you buy it? I couldn't see it on wine searcher.

In my experience, Grenache blanc is more elegant and rewarding when blended with Grenache gris. Some Roussillon ones I recommend -
L'Argile, Domaine de la Rectorie
Cuvé Lais, Olivier Pithon
Coume Gineste, Domaine Gauby
Clos des Vignes, Domaine Gardies

Or if you want 100% Grenache blanc, there is this one from just over the border, Blanc dels Aspres, Vinyes dels Aspres.

thanks Jonathan, will get looking out for them.

In fact:

90/100
Clicked on your wine-searcher link and top of the list was the delightfully named "It's Five o'clock Somewhere" - will have to buy something from them.... But it's 5.15 now, so some other time....