HB Chards

Good to see the Sacred Hill Rifleman's top your HB tasting Tom. It has probably been rated NZ's top chard for many years by a lot of people but doesn't get much mention these days.

Tom Cannavan

Administrator
Cheers Kevin. Yes, it's a class act for me, among a dozen extrememly good wines in this selection. It had the combination of fruit weight and density, but fabulous raciness and zest, with enough gravel and flint character for me too. Really some terrific wines in the line-up:

Hawke’s Bay: 12 top 2019 Chardonnays | wine-pages

What a shame that so relatively few of them are availble in the UK.

Cheers Kevin. Yes, it's a class act for me, among a dozen extrememly good wines in this selection. It had the combination of fruit weight and density, but fabulous raciness and zest, with enough gravel and flint character for me too. Really some terrific wines in the line-up:

Yes, quite surprising so few top NZ wines ever get to the UK. I suppose it is assumed the UK market is so European focused they just aren't open to premium wines from elsewhere.

Tom Cannavan

Administrator
Yes, quite surprising so few top NZ wines ever get to the UK. I suppose it is assumed the UK market is so European focused they just aren't open to premium wines from elsewhere.

And perhaps we are just not willing to pay the price? It's a problem in this market that we have so much wine, from so many different places, with a lot of it sold through supermarkets. I've been told by Australian producers in the past that the UK is just not an important market for them in terms of volume or value, and some are still willing to deal with us purely from a reputational point of view. Some of these Chardonnays are £20 wines, but others are £75, and maybe its a combination of us not being willing to pay it and producers feeling it's too much like hard work to try and sell here?

It is a shame,
I tried but could not find a single one I could buy in the UK:(

It's a problem in this market that we have so much wine, from so many different places

I agree with your analysis completely, Tom, but I smiled when I read this line. My parents live in NZ and drink a lot of very good NZ and Australian wine. In fact, they drink wine from almost nowhere else - and not because they are unadventurous. The range of wine available to them from Europe, the Americas or South Africa is limited, and they pay through the nose for it. The 'problem' we have in the UK is not such a bad one to have!

Tom Cannavan

Administrator
I agree with your analysis completely, Tom, but I smiled when I read this line. My parents live in NZ and drink a lot of very good NZ and Australian wine. In fact, they drink wine from almost nowhere else - and not because they are unadventurous. The range of wine available to them from Europe, the Americas or South Africa is limited, and they pay through the nose for it. The 'problem' we have in the UK is not such a bad one to have!

Indeed, I was seeing it as a 'problem' from the wine producer's point of view, rather than us as consumers. Though I guess if some excellent wines decide we are not a suitable export market for their best stuff, that is a minor problem for us too....