TN Jean-Luc Jamet

Let's get this out of the way: I tasted these in a commercial capacity BUT I don't sell them in the UK and I do believe a few people here are interested in the grower, so thought the notes would be worth posting.

Overall impression is that, previously, I've found the style trad, savoury and reductive to the point of being a bit rustic. This afternoon I was totally seduced.

Cotes du Rhone Blanc Couzou 2019
A Marsanne-heavy blend with the signature notes of almond paste and blossom. Like the best examples of this style, the acidity is actually quite low but the wine holds a sort of phenolic freshness, from dry extract, and a chalky, saline twang. All this combines to create a mineral spine to offset the broad profile, stone fruit and honey notes in the middle. Finishes lively and mouth-watering - this is really charming even if it's not complex.
90/100

Cotes du Rhone L'Enclave 2019
Deep, glossy purple. At first the nose is meaty and savoury with a marked reduction but, as that subsides, it becomes much more floral and musky with a classic edge of cracked pepper. The attack on the palate is sweet and direct with overtones of violets. Bang-on classic in style! Very, very pretty and very lifted, with plenty of energy. It is in its mid-palate and volume that it perhaps doesn't hit Cote Rotie levels but, beyond that, it does a very good impression. Both well balanced and well proportioned, there's a sense of granitic minerality and spine that holds everything together and gives tension - it's compact but bursting with life. Finishes with a spicy pepper and a twist of liquorice.
91+/100

Syrah Valine 2019
Hints of tapenade and sweet, new, shoe leather. Faintest whisper of reduction in the background. Upfront and vibrant raspberry fruit. The tannins are supple and this is juicy, mid-weight and fragrant. The ripeness at the core is really satisfying and this would easily be on a par with many a Crozes Hermitage or even St Joseph. Fruit is persistently sweet through the line but the finish is savoury. I can see myself upgrading this again and again and it's just beautiful to quaff.
89/100

Syrah Valine 2018Both more complete and more evolved than the 2019. This has more layers of flavour and better volume on the mid-palate. Musk, spice and leather on the nose. The palate has crisp raspberry and berry fruit with a liberal dusting of peppery spice. It fans out in the middle, with ripe, sweet, fruit and crunchy tannin. Damson fruit emerges with time in the glass and, whilst it has more generosity than the 2019 at the moment, I wonder if it won't be over-taken in quality in time.
90/100

Cote Rotie Terrasses 2017
Intense and dusky perfume with floral and spice notes, suggesting some wholebunch action here. Lovely balance of the meaty and the musky. Only mid-weight but delivers the volume that differentiates if from the Cote Rotie-lite L'Encalve, with a persistent savouriness in the background. The fruit is brambly and very pure, running through the heart of the wine. There are side notes of fireside embers, spice and leather but it's all very nicely controlled. The tannins give a chalky, mineral structure and shape and the whole is fresh and succulent. Dry and slightly salty on the finish that has a subtle but marked umami note.
93/100

Cote Rotie Terrasses 2018
Violets, dark-toned fruit, spice and polished leather. Mouthfilling, scented, silky and very beautiful. This has great volume, energy and intensity - yet without weight. Brilliantly Burgundian and seamless. Very pure, hence classical, yet also whistle-clean - this is a tour de force of class and style. Very long, perfumed and harmonious finish. Graceful.
95/100

Cheers,
Matthew

Thanks Matthew. I have the 2016 Côte Rotie Terrasses in storage and will probably leave it there for a few years. Have you had the opportunity to sample this vintage?

Here's a note on the 2015, tasted in October 2018. I think I tasted the 2016 last time I was in Singapore but I'm afraid I don't have a note on that one.

Cote Rotie Terrasses 2015
Complex aromas of spice, pepper, red fruit and violets. Slightest hint of something a bit wild and animal - almost leathery but in a very smart shoe polish way. Rich and velvety palate with high-luxe tannins. Clearly from a ripe, powerful vintage. Lots of sunshine. Tannins are ripe and with an almost talcum powder texture. Very pretty with a touch of cocoa on the finish, which shows a seam of acid not immediately apparent elsewhere. Dried petals on the very back end.
94/100

I guess with the classical winemaking style he is using plenty of stems, and that seems to come through in the dried petals noted above, but I'll have to check.