Jim Clendenen has left us

Truly sad. I'm a huge fan of his wines and found him to be just as delightful and engaging in person. A great loss but a real legacy too.

That’s a shame as have been a fan of his wines, some of which are unique and not always typical. I never met him and missed the 67PM event. I actually pulled a bottle to drink from the ageing shelf yesterday, a bottle of 16 Heritage SB Chard, though then changed my mind and put it back to allow a bit more time.
A bottle of his Hildegard at a relatively recent event surprised a few people as to its origins and make up.
He sounded like a character.

Two sad blows: the death of legendary chef and first proprietor of The Peat Inn, David Wilson, was announced late last night.

I ate - and drank - so well at David's restaurant which had a phenomenal wine list sold at often below retail prices. He was one of the 'fathers of modern British cuisine.'

My one visit to meet Jim Clendenen was one of my best ever winery visits. This was before I had a professional involvement, maybe mid-90s on holiday in Californian, but I arranged a visit. We had a great day with Jim so enthusiastic, and joined him and his Mexican picking crew for an amazing home-cooked meal in the winery. Have had a great affection for ABC and QUPE wines since

A sad RIP to both.

Very sad, although I didn't know him, but I knew many of his lovely wines.

Not as well known, but Pascal Clairet (Domaine de la Tournelle) is also no longer with us. He was another lovely man, one especially noted for mentoring many of the Jura's stars, from Stéphane Tissot right up to Julian Mareschal (Dom de la Borde).

Both men sadly missed.

Very sad news. I used to run into him in all sorts of unexpected places around the world, e.g., Friuli, the streets of New York, etc. I think I last saw him as I was boarding a train in Dijon to go back to Paris in November 2019 -- at least I saw someone with scraggly blond hair and an SF Giants cap, although somewhat slimmed down from the Jim I'd known in the past, walk by on the platform.

Jim is, of course, best-known and justifiably so for his Au Bon Climat wines, but he did work under some other labels, and the Chardonnays that he made for Zaca Mesa in 1978 and 1979 were incredible. Indeed, only the 1978 Mount Eden Vineyards may surpass it in my California Chardonnay experience (and that's saying something, as the Mount Eden remains one of the greatest Chardonnay-based wines in my experience).

Farewell to the Wild Boy.

I'm such a huge fan of Au Bon Climat, and Jim was such a massive character and personality as well as a brilliant winemaker. I visited the winery about 15 years ago and he did the tasting personally for us. A really interesting bloke.

We will open a couple of his bottles on Friday as our mini tribute.

I decided that I should start trying some more North American wines and by strange coincidence, ordered on Thursday last week 3 bottles of ABC Chardonnay 2019, which were delivered today. Jim's passing will make tasting them even more poignant and interesting. Especially as it has his name on the label. RIP Jim.

ABC Chardonnay 2019 Web.jpg

This pair for us tonight:

20210521_202844.jpg

An absolutely brilliant pair of wines - the 2018 Wild Boy Chard just starting to fill out with cooked apple and buttered toast. The Bien Nacido Pinot really sappy and vibrant, bags of crunchy berry fruit and a velvety undertone. I've realised this week I own more wines by ABC than any other producer or winery, and the reason for that is I absolutely love their style.

Farewell Jim, you will be missed in this little town 5000 miles from where you did your thing. RIP.