NWR Jimmy Greaves dies

I had seen them before but rereading his career stats is fully warranting of the term World Class. They live forever.

I'm too young to have been around for the playing career but I was an avid fan, along with my Grandma, of Saint and Greavsie.

So sad to hear this news but I guess it was coming following that horrible stroke he had 5-6 years ago. One of the greatest goalscorers of all time. Pity he was so ill in the '65 season, which he missed most of, and struggled to get back to his peak for the World Cup. I'm sure it will be shown on TV today but I shall always remember a goal he scored against Man Utd where he seemed to glide past half the team and then tap in. I wonder how much he, Best and Law would cost these days?

He was very funny on TV in his second career with St John but unlike so many pundits he talked a lot of sense amongst the jokes and was always respected by his peers.

A little known fact about him was that he was an avid collector of Clarice Cliff pottery, and other Art Deco stuff, which he sold about 10 years ago at my local auction house.

As a Spurs season ticket holder I had the pleasure of seeing Jimmy Greaves play on a regular basis. We used to yell at him as he seemed to do so little during a game except score a couple of goals. I was present at his first game for Spurs when he scored a hat trick . The first was an overhead kick and the last was a rare header. Many years later I met him at a book signing in Enfield. I told him that I was present at that match and I asked him if he remembered that game.
"No, not really" he replied. Unfortunately his alcoholism had badly affected his memory. I was also present at the match in Rotterdam when Spurs became the first British team to win a European trophy when they won the Cup Winners Cup 5-1 against Atletico Madrid. Greaves later said that this was the greatest game he had ever played in. I, and countless others, will remember him with great affection.

When I was a schoolboy, a friend had a mystery guest in his house. We weren’t allowed passed the kitchen. Later he said it had been Jimmy Greaves who his family’s church were trying to dry out, getting him out of London’s pubs etc. So I almost met him!

Probably less than the number of legs he broke.
This remark is totally out of place in a thread which is intended to show respect to Jimmy Greaves by football fans, no matter what their club affiliation. For the record Chopper scored 14 goals in 795 Chelsea first team appearances, a club record, and was a tenacious and tough tackling defender in an era when every team had their 'hard man'. He had a physical and uncompromising style but was not dirty. He was only sent off once in 18 years and never broke anyone's leg.

This remark is totally out of place in a thread which is intended to show respect to Jimmy Greaves by football fans, no matter what their club affiliation. For the record Chopper scored 14 goals in 795 Chelsea first team appearances, a club record, and was a tenacious and tough tackling defender in an era when every team had their 'hard man'. He had a physical and uncompromising style but was not dirty. He was only sent off once in 18 years and never broke anyone's leg.

Sounds like you got out of the wrong side of bed today.
Ron Harris not dirty? You obviously did not see the 1970 Cup Final replay, when he put Eddie Gray out of the game early on with an awful foul that nearly severed his kneecap. And players were rarely sent off in his day.

Sounds like you got out of the wrong side of bed today.
Ron Harris not dirty? You obviously did not see the 1970 Cup Final replay, when he put Eddie Gray out of the game early on with an awful foul that nearly severed his kneecap. And players were rarely sent off in his day.
You are only perpetuating what I have tried to suggest you should not have done in the first place and that is turn this thread into a partisan place. If you really had any respect for Jimmy Greaves you would stop instead of digging a deeper hole.
I was at both matches in the 1970 Cup Final and well remember both teams playing conduct. You are correct that players were sent off far less frequently in those days so the only proper way to judge if Ronnie Harris was a dirty player is by comparison with his peers; if you do this you will find that many other defenders disciplinary records are far, far worse than his, including from the team you support

You are only perpetuating what I have tried to suggest you should not have done in the first place and that is turn this thread into a partisan place. If you really had any respect for Jimmy Greaves you would stop instead of digging a deeper hole.
I was at both matches in the 1970 Cup Final and well remember both teams playing conduct. You are correct that players were sent off far less frequently in those days so the only proper way to judge if Ronnie Harris was a dirty player is by comparison with his peers; if you do this you will find that many other defenders disciplinary records are far, far worse than his, including from the team you support

WALOB.

I think Jimmy Greaves would have found that funny Jonathan. Maybe you never watched Saint and Greavsie, but he had a keen and wicked sense of humour and as a top striker he would be all too keenly aware of the antics of the likes of Ron Harris. As a Leeds United supporter I watched the 1970 FA Cup Final with my brother who is two years older and a Chelsea supporter. It was one of the first games I ever remember watching. To this day I have never seen a dirtier team than that Chelsea side. A travesty. I also remember watching Ron Harris trying to take out Georgie Best, but he was just too quick for him, skipping Chopper‘s kamikaze tackle and slotting the ball calmly in the corner of the net.

Last edited:
Ian, I had the honour of knowing Jimmy Greaves and am looking at the Official 1966 World Cup program with the autographs of all 22 of the England squad by their photographs, which Jimmy gave to my father to give to me in August 1966. I also managed to see a few episodes of Saint and Greavsie. The issue however is really not who was or wasn’t a dirty footballer 50 years ago but what on earth this discussion is doing in a thread in honour of Jimmy Greaves.

Shall we start a separate thread with the title of Ron Harris: saint or sinner?
Your attitude is ridiculous. Thread drift is quite common on this forum. And I started this thread and see no problem with this drift.
I notice you haven't tried to contradict what I said about Harris taking out Eddie Gray in the 1970 reply. Gray tormented Chelsea in the first game and Harris took him out early in the replay.

Shall we start a separate thread with the title of Ron Harris: saint or sinner?
Your attitude is ridiculous. Thread drift is quite common on this forum. And I started this thread and see no problem with this drift.
I notice you haven't tried to contradict what I said about Harris taking out Eddie Gray in the 1970 reply. Gray tormented Chelsea in the first game and Harris took him out early in the replay.
I certainly can’t contradict a matter of fact, nor can you contradict that both Billy Bremner, Nobby Stiles and many other players of that period committed more fouls and were sent off more often than Ronnie Harris because that too is a matter of fact. On the subject of filthy play, you might also like to reflect that had Spurs chosen to play football on May 2, 2016 instead of trying to kick Chelsea off the pitch, they might have beaten Leicester to the title instead of gaining nothing apart from the ignominious record of having 9 players yellow carded, the highest ever in the Premier League.