TN KELLER Kirchspiel&Hubacker&Abtserde 08,10,13,15,17 and impressions from Sylt

On monday a group of friends came together at the Söl`ring Hof at the island of Sylt for a vertical of KELLER Kirchspiel&Hubacker&Abtserde GG 2008, 2010, 2013, 2015 and 2017.

IMG_0139.JPG

All the Rieslings showed terrific, also friends who are not so into Keller wines were deeply impressed by the performance. Its all about precision, purity and elegance. I personally were impressed how the winemaker KP Keller improved over the years or to make the wines make better from vintage to vintage. No stagnancy! For example KP reduced the RS from 4-5g to under 2g RS in the last 10 years. Or to add an extra wild dimension in the 2017 vintage. In addition the wines age terrific.

I also would like to recommend the island of Sylt. Great restaurants and also terrific wine lists. Bigger wine lists and even cheaper than in Berlin. For example I found a 2018 Keller Limestone Kabinett Magnum for 80 Euro in the famous SANSIBAR restaurant. Also great fish&seafood products.

Der Söl´ring Hof – Hotel & Restaurant | 5 Sterne ✩ Söl'ring Hof Sylt

Video:

IMG_0117.JPG

IMG_0012.JPG

IMG_0013.JPG

Note: wines marked with * are the best of the flight according to my personal view

2008 Kirchspiel
Lush fruit meets limestone or the juice of a cracked fruit trickle over limestone. In addition a sublime elegance

2008 Hubacker
Very exotic Hubi. A mix of oriental spices like cardamon. Very seductive. Interesting that the famous veggie notes of 2008 completely disappeared. In the youth they had a lot of green paprika or green vegetable flavors, as they were fermented with the stalks in oder to soften the high acidity of 2008.

2008 Abtserde *
Elegance with no end, precise and with huge acidity. Simply fantastic.

2010 Kirchspiel
Very pure&precise with flavors of blossoms and herbs. And limestone of course. It looks like that it was the first vintage of under 2g RS, before it was around 4-5g RS for the GGs.

2010 Hubacker *
Its all about precision and finesse with a touch of candied citrus zest.

2010 Abtserde
Still a baby. A touch too opulent for my taste.

2013 Kirchspiel
WOW…….what a stunning bouquet. You don’t want to drink it. haha
The whole mouth is coated with magic juice. And the famous sommelier Bärbel Ring said, „the shoulder pads are gone“. Again this wonderful precision.

2013 Hubacker
Exotic fruit meets precision and freshness.

IMG_0119.JPG

2013 Abtserde *
Brilliant. Precision meets floating elegance. Bottom-line, all 3 wines from 2013 were mind-blowing.

2015 Kirchspiel *
Quite wild and rebellious. Very very fascinating. I would say here we have a Natural Wine for older people like me. Fair to say I hate most of the Natural or Orange Wines. But KP knows his onions.

2015 Hubacker
no notes

2015 Abtserde
no notes

2017 Kirchspiel
Taste of Nashi pear.

IMG_0130.JPG

2017 Hubacker *
OMG……..what a nose. Reminds me on the Rieslings of Schäfer-Fröhlich with the same Sponti notes. Holy shit this is a mind-blowing wild Riesling. And it shows that KP is able to add a new extra special dimension to this wines or should I say he is still able to improve or to up the ante.

2017 Absterde
A bit closed.

Cheers,
Martin

Last edited:
Claude, Martin,
We are considering going to Paris on 14th January and back to London on January 18th. Dinner can be arranged any night, ... Do not hesitate to join. We would be staying at a friend's place. Happy to formalise plans quickly to book tickets.

Claude, Martin,
We are considering going to Paris on 14th January and back to London on January 18th. Dinner can be arranged any night, ... Do not hesitate to join. We would be staying at a friend's place. Happy to formalise plans quickly to book tickets.
As I indicated yesterday, I'm in, and Linda and a visiting friend are, too, so we're a minimum of five. Martin? Anyone else?

BTW, you are permitted to take away unfinished bottles from restaurants in France. At these prices, it might be worth considering doing a follow-up the next day at my place with any remainders.

I’d be interested in theory though perhaps only for lunch. I wonder if they might allow a bottle or two to be brought along to expand the 2015 horizontal. Of course that’s not common though.

Welcome Russell! Now 6.
Lunch is probably better for us as well. Number of bottles will depend on how many we are I suppose... Any more volunteers to join us?

Last edited:
On Tuesday January 14th, we arrive at 12h57 at Gare du Nord, so Thursday the 16th is the best date.
Note we have booked Leonard de Vinci exhinition at 9 am on Thursday 16th, so this is also perfect as we will then enjoy a great lunch.