Majestic pricing

Tom Cannavan

Administrator
I know it's been discussed to death on the forum, but just amusing that I am part way through a tasting of 20 or so wines from a major Australian producer with many brands, which includes an RRP for each wine. For those where Majestic is stockist (quite a few) invariably the RRP is the "mixed six" price, with the bottle price being around 20% higher thatn RRP in each and every case.

I think we all knew the 'mixed six' price was disingenuous, and I am not sure how many buy from Majestic, but my guess is that sales of less than 6 will still be so rare for them that it is actually the single bottle price that is the meaningless one.

Scottish consumers get the lower price on everything, single or multiple bottles - one of the very, very rare 'wins' of our tough licensing laws.

Yep. I almost never buy from Majestic these days because of the pricing. The "true" price deliberately opaque. Almost Holland & Barrett-like. Majestic do have wines I'd like to buy but life's too short for the pricing.

Personally I think that all wine publications should provide three figures:

The special seasonal '25% off when you buy six bottles' discounted but previously hiked supermarket promotion where there's none in store, a lesser quantity of something completely different (and vastly inferior) is forcibly substituted on your online order and a full refund necessitates three months, twenty-seven phone calls and the CEO's private email address.

The handwritten label from a old-fashioned wine merchant, who has a properly stored bottle of the correct vintage right in front of you (along with a hilarious anecdote about the vigneron's grandmother and a Wehrmacht corporal).

The list price (excluding service) at Hélène Darroze.

I know it's been discussed to death on the forum, but just amusing that I am part way through a tasting of 20 or so wines from a major Australian producer with many brands, which includes an RRP for each wine. For those where Majestic is stockist (quite a few) invariably the RRP is the "mixed six" price, with the bottle price being around 20% higher thatn RRP in each and every case.

I think we all knew the 'mixed six' price was disingenuous, and I am not sure how many buy from Majestic, but my guess is that sales of less than 6 will still be so rare for them that it is actually the single bottle price that is the meaningless one.

Scottish consumers get the lower price on everything, single or multiple bottles - one of the very, very rare 'wins' of our tough licensing laws.
Tom can you clarify then that if I purchase a single bottle from majestic in Giffnock I will pay the price advertised as the mixed 6 only price online?

I brought a few today, the first since pre pandemic. Mainly pinots and Chardonnay.
I noticed that red discount (20%) stickers seems to be for the per 6 vis the single bottle price. These are special prices only circa a dozen in store.Odd and confusing.

0thers have big discounts but unhighlighted. Lismore Syrah shows a £12 discount from £39 to £27,(30%). Others vary from 10/15%. You really have to be careful.

The champagne prices are a joke.

Tom Cannavan

Administrator
Tom can you clarify then that if I purchase a single bottle from majestic in Giffnock I will pay the price advertised as the mixed 6 only price online?

Correct Willie. It's is illegal to discount on quantity purchases in Scotland, so unlike Waitrose or Sainsbury's (for example) who simply miss Scotland out when they do a "25% of a mixed six", Majestic decided to offer the mixed six 'discount' on all wines, even by the single bottle, in Scotland.

Correct Willie. It's is illegal to discount on quantity purchases in Scotland, so unlike Waitrose or Sainsbury's (for example) who simply miss Scotland out when they do a "25% of a mixed six", Majestic decided to offer the mixed six 'discount' on all wines, even by the single bottle, in Scotland.
Depends on how you take advantage of the Waitrose "25% of a mixed six". I can take part and have them delivered to my home, in Scotland, without any problem. Try the "collect from store" option and the nearest one to my postcode is in Hexham 96 miles away (in spite of their Edinburgh Morningside store being only 5 miles from my postcode). I can't comment on Sainsburys as I've rarely found 6 wines I'd want to buy there.

I started buying again from Majestic just over a year ago as their selection got a lot more interesting and their discounted (or Scottish) prices, on the wines that piqued my interest, were very competitive when comparing on cooncil wine-searcher. Its very easy not to buy when the prices are back to "normal", although sometimes even their "normal" can be alright.

Tom Cannavan

Administrator
Depends on how you take advantage of the Waitrose "25% of a mixed six". I can take part and have them delivered to my home, in Scotland, without any problem. Try the "collect from store" option and the nearest one to my postcode is in Hexham 96 miles away (in spite of their Edinburgh Morningside store being only 5 miles from my postcode). I can't comment on Sainsburys as I've rarely found 6 wines I'd want to buy there.

They obvioulsy think you are in a northern English county, as when I have put my Glasgow postcode in in the past it has immediately removed the 25% discount :(

They obvioulsy think you are in a northern English county, as when I have put my Glasgow postcode in in the past it has immediately removed the 25% discount :(
How strange. I've never had that happen to me. Perhaps you should try your East Neuk postcode? I've built up my stash of LRA Arana Reserva, Muga Reserva, Muga Prado Enea and Musar courtesy of their 25% deals. Perhaps its because I have a loyalty card and pay with a JLP credit card :confused:

Tom Cannavan

Administrator
In Scotland you need to buy from waitrosecellar as then the point of sale is technically in England regardless of where it is delivered.

If you buy from Waitrose.com the point of sale is your local store and so the offers will not be available if your local store is in Scotland.

That's where I've gone wrong I suspect. I await the next 25% off with interest!

It must be time to drop this ridiculous mix 6 thing. I believe the point was to increase sales volumes and it would be interesting to compare the English an Scottish branches to see if this is borne out in practice.

I keep trying to like Majestic, it would be great if it could take on the mantle of Oddbins as a stimulating national chain. But I just can't get there. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough but the range seems pretty dull and almost never changing. Witness their flyers which seem to promote the same wines they did 10 years ago.

They don't seem to have used their link with Lay and Wheeler to promote their wide range, EP sales, storage or wines being sold through customer broking. It feels like a missed opportunity to have widened both the range of wines and overall offering.

I don’t think they’re part of the same group as Lay and Wheeler anymore. Naked wines owner had both then sold them separately.

Last edited:
In Scotland you need to buy from waitrosecellar as then the point of sale is technically in England regardless of where it is delivered.

If you buy from Waitrose.com the point of sale is your local store and so the offers will not be available if your local store is in Scotland.
Good call, Tim. I checked back on a load of electronic receipts/emails and they are all from waitrosecellar.com. i didn't specfically choose them over Waitrose itself, but just clicked on the link provided by the emails promoting the discount.

It must be time to drop this ridiculous mix 6 thing. I believe the point was to increase sales volumes and it would be interesting to compare the English an Scottish branches to see if this is borne out in practice.

I keep trying to like Majestic, it would be great if it could take on the mantle of Oddbins as a stimulating national chain. But I just can't get there. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough but the range seems pretty dull and almost never changing. Witness their flyers which seem to promote the same wines they did 10 years ago.

They don't seem to have used their link with Lay and Wheeler to promote their wide range, EP sales, storage or wines being sold through customer broking. It feels like a missed opportunity to have widened both the range of wines and overall offering.
I often find that visiting any wine merchants for the first time is great however return visits can be a disappointment as the range doesn’t change enough. Similarly return visits to independents can also be a disappointment if they don’t have a wine I purchased previously in stock. Never happy are we?

I don’t think they’re part of the same group as Lay and Wheeler anymore. Naked wines owner had both then sold them separately.
"...had both then sold them separately"...can you clarify Russ. That sounds like Naked sold Majestic as well as L&W (though I'd thought it was Majestic who in theory took over Naked, but then we know what happened).

I only ask because I'd be fairly unlikely to enter a Majestic again because I personally detest what I see as their disingenuous pricing, but I'd be not just unlikely, but 100% certain, (n)ever to enter a Majestic if they remained part of the Naked Wines empire.

The FT here.
Drinks business

I think the range in majestic is better now and the odd naked wine offerings have disappeared.
Prices are odd although I’m happy to buy 6 the prices are still varied vis other retailers.
Buyer beware!

I was in Majestic in Berwick on Monday, so just in England, and thought the range had improved a fair bit in the two years or so since I last visited one of their branches. I had no problems putting together a mixed six.