Mark's Rosé Redux @ Passione Vino

Thanks very much to Mark - a very well organised and enjoyable do.

A few vague thoughts from me. I was struck by how groggy I felt this morning. Must spit more and drink more water....

2017 Paltrinieri Lambrusco di Sorbara "Radice" (Mark)
- Great fun, but in a classy way. Went very well indeed with all the nibbles ***

2015 Gusbourne Rosé (Nick)
- More serious. Not quite cold enough? Fruity but precise. A jewel of a wine, and a match for most modest Champagne. ****

2017 Loggerenberg "Break a Leg" Rosé (Matt)
- Lots going on in this. Another fun wine, but with interest and character. So many talented young winemakers in South Africa, and he's in the top echelon. ***

2017 Figuiere Premiere Rosé (Jack)
- Initially a bit simple (too cold?!) but warmed up into something decent. A true example of Provence rose. ***

2018 Frank Cornelissen "Susucaru" Etna Rosato (Mark)
- Ooh, now this is different. Rather cloudy cider. A lot to like. ***

2014 Paride Chiovini "Eros" (Mark)
- Can't remember much about this one. It was a bit too strange **

2017 Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Rosé de Pinot Noir (Jeremy)
- Elegant, classy. tastes like a rose version of PYCM's much admired whites ****

2015 Domaine Francois Cotat Sancerre Chavignol Rose (Mark)
- Even more elegant and classy. In fact a step up - effortless wine that one would like to enjoy over an evening on its own. *****

2014 Domaine Joseph Roty Marsannay Rosé (Jack)
- Another Burgundian classic. ****

2013 Domaine des Lambrays Bourgogne "La Rosé du Clos" (Dan)
- Showing exceptionally well. One would expect it to be good, and it doesn't disappoint. ****

2009 Domaine Tempier Bandol Rosé (Alino)
- Nicely mature, by this time my powers were fading though! A wine I'm very familiar with, so perhaps I didn't give it much attention. ***

2008 R. Lopez de Heredia Rioja Rosé Gran Reserva (Mike)
- Very interesting. Much going on. Could do with more integration perhaps. One to watch, although it didn't quite do it for me tonight. ***

1994 Chateau Musar Rosé (Alex)
- Old and showing it, but with some style. Never boring. Maybe slightly struggling for context among the other wines tonight. This would normally be something I would have earlier in the evening and meditate over. ****

37C66439-FA6C-4E96-A7F2-8730EC2B7F21.jpeg

3EE018CD-B252-412E-B636-83FE807E3C30.jpeg

24D9B4F4-3147-4EEC-B8A4-01D84FD93252.jpeg

Last edited:
Thank you Mark for organising such a cheerful and informative evening.

I think I was the only person whose favourite wine was the Cornelissen. A bucketful of character - lavender, camphor, skins, petillance and only 11.5%.

My second was Lopez de Heredia. Lemons on toast. Slight tannic dryness on finish but it has heart. Tastes like more than 12.5% but forgiveable.

My third was PYCM Rose de Pinot Noir. Pehaps a little too restrained but lovely colour and balance.

Thanks Mark for another fun night and to all the attendees and their contributions, with lots of information to learn about the wines. Although mostly Old Worlds, the knowledge shared was fantastic. My favourite was the Musar, it has more to give in the near future but enjoyable now. Special thanks to Jeremy on best themed outfit and to others who wear pink underwears. :D

Great night thanks all and especially Mark for putting it together and even pouring many of the wines. I was thinking how good I felt this morning, must have been the third helping of Pasta which saved me. And not drinking the cloudy Prosecco!

The Lambray's and Cotat (and the Roty) stood out for me. Cotat felt like it would get even better with another few years in the bottle, Lambray's felt like it was about ready, Roty somewhere in between. The Musar 1995 was complex and delicious. I didn't think the PYCM stood up against the other two burgs, nothing wrong with it, just a little simple with out much depth in comparison.

Thanks very much indeed to Mark for organising such a fun evening. Some very interesting and enjoyable wines. The lambrays was the 2011, not the 2013. My brief notes:

• 2017 Paltrinieri Lambrusco di Sorbara Radice Rosé Frizzante Secco - Italy, Emilia-Romagna, Lambrusco di Sorbara DOC (16/07/2019)
    Softer mousse and softer/creamier palate than the Gusbourne. lighter red fruit with a hint of copper/orange. Delightful, easy drinking.
  • 2015 Gusbourne Brut Rosé - United Kingdom, England, Kent (16/07/2019)
    Very attractive, strong pinot elements with blackcurrants on the nose and palate. Feisty mousse.
  • 2018 Lukas van Loggerenberg Cinsault Break A Leg - South Africa, Coastal Region (16/07/2019)
    Intriguing wine that oscillated between being very red fruited initially (strawberries and cream!) and then very white fruited (like a good white burgundy). Delicious!
  • 2017 Domaine Saint André de Figuière Côtes de Provence Premiere du Figuiere - France, Provence, Côtes de Provence (16/07/2019)
    Very typical provencal rose on the nose. Pale pink with hints of copper and orange on the palate.
  • 2018 Frank Cornelissen Susucaru - Italy, Sicily, Sicilia (17/07/2019)
    Deep red colour. Weird burnt nose. Odd aldehyde element on the palate with some window cleaner fluid, cinnamon and benylin thrown in for good measure. All these distinct parts come together to create an alcoholic Gatorade fruit punch.
  • 2014 Paride Chiovini Sizzano Eros - Italy, Piedmont, Northern Piedmont, Sizzano (16/07/2019)
    Deep, cherry red colour. Nose of cherries and spice akin to a tawny port in some ways. Developed over time to a burnt treacle note like old krug! Bit disappointing on the palate.
  • 2017 Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Rosé de Pinot-Noir - France, Burgundy, Bourgogne (16/07/2019)
    Double blind, I swear I would have picked this as the pycm rose despite never having tried it before. It's just so classically PYCM! Very good precision and balance with plenty of the usual pycm dry extract. The only thing missing was the typical lemon zest!
  • 2015 Domaine François Cotat Sancerre Chavignol Rosé - France, Loire Valley, Upper Loire, Sancerre (16/07/2019)
    Seriously good wine. Great depth and class on the nose and palate. Fleshy, succulent mid palate. My WOTN.
  • 2014 Domaine Joseph Roty Marsannay Rosé - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Marsannay Rosé (16/07/2019)
    Superb. Great balance, poise and precision. Absolutely delicious!
  • 2011 Domaine des Lambrays La Rose Du Clos Rosé - France, Burgundy (16/07/2019)
    Wasn't sure how this would show having given up on them 2-3 years ago when they were quite astringent and disjointed. The wine has really come into its own now though. Absolutely delicious, classy red fruit with lovely balance and harmony. Good persistence on the finish. Shame I only have 1 left now!
  • 2009 Domaine Tempier Bandol Rosé - France, Provence, Bandol (16/07/2019)
    Classy provencale rose. Plenty of skins on the nose and palate but well done. Nice.
  • 2008 R. López de Heredia Rioja Rosado Viña Tondonia - Spain, La Rioja, La Rioja Alta, Rioja (16/07/2019)
    Not sure what happened here. Perhaps my glass was tainted? Thin, unpleasant, stripped, tasteless on the palate?
  • 1994 Chateau Musar Rosé - Lebanon, Bekaa Valley (16/07/2019)
    Punchy on the attack. Plenty of skins evident. Slightly pinched orange/copper flavours.

Posted from CellarTracker

Last edited:
A most splendid evening with the added bonus of some warm sunshine. We were unable to make best use of it with our basement location but no doubt it would have been raining it were dining alfresco! :D A big thanks to everyone for their company and vinous contributions.

Fun to see some pink attire on show although as has been pointed out Jeremy definitely won first prize for a fine ensemble!

As with the first Rose offline we had a good spread of styles on show and yet there is still much more to explore. Maybe a third Rose offline could be a possibility; Tavel, Rose d'Anjou, Mateus Rose, more New World options!

I didn't take any detailed notes but wanted to share a few thoughts. The Cotat was outstanding and in such a nice drinking phase that personally I would not holder for longer. Quite different from the Cotat that Paul brought last week which I would age for longer.

I'm glad that I brought the Cornelissen as it elicited a lot of discussion. I'm a big fan but I can see why it divides the room.

PYCM was to my taste rather underwhelming (producer trading on name perhaps!). The Lambrays and Roty were both excellent.

Really enjoyed the food; the Pasta alla Norma in particular was very tasty.

I'm in agreement with the other posters - lovely evening, and many thanks to Mark for hosting as well as organising. I'm glad to have tasted all of the wines, and tempted to buy a few of them. Have copied my CT notes below in case of interest; I don't think the relatively modest scores fully reflect how much pleasure these wines gave.

MARK'S ROSE OFFLINE - PART DEUX - Passione Vino (7/16/2019)

Aperitivo
  • NV Azienda Agricola Malibràn Sottoriva Colli Trevigiani IGT - Italy, Veneto, Colli Trevigiani IGT
    Very interesting 'natural' prosecco/pet nat. Light and delicate, caressing bubbles, and so easy to drink - excellent aperitivo. (88 pts.)
Frizzante and Spumante
  • 2017 Paltrinieri Lambrusco di Sorbara Radice Rosé Frizzante Secco - Italy, Emilia-Romagna, Lambrusco di Sorbara DOC
    Quite pale. A little animale at the start, becoming more floral and citrus-influenced. Unassuming and with nice, juicy acidity, this is a great food wine. (88 pts.)
  • 2015 Gusbourne Brut Rosé - United Kingdom, England, Kent
    Gorgeous pink colour with vigorous mousse. Very red-fruited on the palate, fey and appealing, some apple notes. Would be great to quaff while mingling on a lawn in some summer sunshine. Might improve with more time in bottle. (88 pts.)
South Africa & Provence
  • 2017 Lukas van Loggerenberg Cinsault Break A Leg - South Africa, Coastal Region
    Golden colour, rather than pink. Nose resembles Burgundy - mostly white, but hints of red too. Woody resin, a touch floral, soft body despite being full-flavoured. Vinous and very good value. (90 pts.)
  • 2017 Domaine Saint André de Figuière Côtes de Provence Premiere du Figuiere - France, Provence, Côtes de Provence
    Very high-toned bubblegummy nose, which I found a bit off-putting. Less sweet on the palate but overall slightly aggressive. Needs time? (85 pts.)
Unusual Italians
  • 2018 Frank Cornelissen Susucaru - Italy, Sicily, Sicilia
    Skin contact blend including Nerello Mascalese. Wonderful deep orange/red colour, like a Negroni. Cidery, volatile nose. There's some resemblance to Negroni on the palate, too, although perhaps one mixed with Vimto rather than gin - bittersweet watermelon, cherry drops, red apple, and probably a number of other things too. Oddly precipitous finish. (87 pts.)
  • 2014 Paride Chiovini Sizzano Eros - Italy, Piedmont, Northern Piedmont, Sizzano
    Made from Nebbiolo. Porty, redcurrant nose. Quite chewy and acidic, some sweet strawberry developing. Past its best? (85 pts.)
Pinot part 1
  • 2017 Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Rosé de Pinot-Noir - France, Burgundy, Bourgogne
    Signature PYCM. Complex (herbs and stock cubes as well as typical malolactic fruit) but not as thrilling as his whites, lacking a bit of tension. (88 pts.)
  • 2015 Domaine François Cotat Sancerre Chavignol Rosé - France, Loire Valley, Upper Loire, Sancerre
    Smooth and classy. A perfectly-balanced amalgam of apple, oak, mineral and yeast. Rose wearing a velvet smoking jacket - fine wine! (91 pts.)
Pinot part 2
  • 2014 Domaine Joseph Roty Marsannay Rosé - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Marsannay Rosé
    Very fine and so easy to drink. Bitter orange and a touch of vanilla from the well-integrated oak. (89 pts.)
  • 2011 Domaine des Lambrays La Rose Du Clos Rosé - France, Burgundy
    Very juicy and vinous - like a mature red Burg from a cooler vintage, but thinned out (that's not a pejorative!). Long, herbal, with a touch of smoke and some bite to it. (89 pts.)
Fully mature
  • 2009 Domaine Tempier Bandol Rosé - France, Provence, Bandol
    Really nicely evolved and a good advert for cellaring this wine. Mature and savoury, bitter and rounded AND soft and creamy! Lovely accompaniment to the cheeseboard. (90 pts.)
  • 2008 R. López de Heredia Rioja Rosado Viña Tondonia - Spain, La Rioja, La Rioja Alta, Rioja
    Same bottle as Dan below and I have a similar feeling - I'm sure there are better bottles of this out there. Still enjoyable, particularly the spicy oaked nose, but a bit thin and far from great. (88 pts.)
  • 1994 Chateau Musar Rosé - Lebanon, Bekaa Valley
    Made me giggle upon first nosing it - so distinctive! Smells a lot like red Musar. Rich and tangy, exotic date-like fruit, smoky bitter orange. (89 pts.)

I grabbed a few bottles of the break a leg from hedonism this evening along with some cotat rose from mayfly and the 1 bottle that Handfords had of the roty. Handfords also had the 2014 lambrays rose but were asking £55 for it so I left those for everyone else :cool:

Just picked up some Break a Leg 2018 from Vin Cognito, along with a number of other interesting bottles including a rose made from Sangiovese.

As an aside, they really are an excellent merchant - off-beat range (with, in my experience, more hits than misses), interesting write-ups, smoothly functional website and exceptional customer service: I placed the order today at 2.15pm and they personally brought the wine to my house at 7.30pm this evening - with no delivery charge!

Yes, they did say they were already about to head out to North London!

They do have some nice SA wines, don't they - I also picked up some David & Nadia, Lismore and the Glen Heatlie single barrel jobby.

Highly recommended from me too, nice people, great service and interesting wines, apart from the Envinate, you don’t want to buy those wines, there’s nothing to see there

I chatted to Lukas Van L on Monday about how popular Break a Leg was at our rose bash - he asked what WOTN was and was happy to be a close runner-up to Cotat!

He reckons Break a Leg will age at least 5-6 years and is worth holding at least a year from vintage. He said the 2018 is a bigger, more opulent wine than the 2017 we tasted, and would benefit from food (he agreed that antipasti would be a good match). He'd really like to do a vertical of Break a Leg sometime but cast doubt on whether that would be possible, given how drinkable it is...