TN Midweek 3/10 - 6/10

Pretty nice start to the week with some BTG at 67PM and then taking my team out for dinner at Enoteca Turi

• 2010 Château Giscours - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Margaux (10/3/2022)
    BTG at 67PM

Took a little time to open up in the glass but then gives ripe dark plum, sappy cedar, a little spearmint and petrichor. Feels quite serious.

More generous on the palate with some red and blue plum, then a crunchy red fruit / cough syrup mid palate before a slightly green finish with some nice savoury elements. Tannins here are supple and fine and this is certainly approachable but i suspect some more time might see it knit together even more. (91 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker

• 2012 Didier Dagueneau Les Jardins de Babylone Moelleux - France, Southwest France, Jurançon (10/3/2022)
    BTG at 67PM

I've been meaning to try this for a while after reading up on Jurancon during my WSET and enticed by the name of this wine and Dagueneau's reputation.

The nose is not quite what I had envisaged - steely, a little smoke, white pepper and some charred pineapple

The palate however is far more in line with my hopes - syrupy rich pineapple and mango, allspice, then a fresh mineral finish with a good acidic tang. Wonderful balance to this rich and yet light - lovely stuff (93 pts.)

Then on to Enoteca Turi which I thought was lovely

• NV Pierre Péters Champagne Grand Cru Blanc de Blancs Brut Cuvée de Réserve - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (10/3/2022)
    Bottle off the list at Enoteca Turi

I really liked this.
    Wonderful balance of tangy tropical blanc de blancs goodness but with some rich depth from the perpetual reserve wines. I couldn't see from the bottle when this was disgorged but it was nicely ready.

Looking at the price this also seems like excellent value to my mind (92 pts.)

• 2013 Conti Costanti Brunello di Montalcino - Italy, Tuscany, Montalcino, Brunello di Montalcino (10/3/2022)
    Decanted

I've got some 2015 of Costanti but have yet to open them and have not tried their wine before.

This was a great experience and the wine that most people on the table preferred.

The nose has a deep intensity of sapid savoury cherry, there is some earthiness there too and tomato leaf.
    Palate delivers a lovely balance of fresh fruit and savouriness - there is great intensity but also freshness - a great example of Brunello from the area nearer Montalcino with a bit of elevation.

This felt very enjoyable now but would be great to see how it evolves (93 pts.)

• 2014 Produttori del Barbaresco Barbaresco Riserva Pajè - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barbaresco (10/3/2022)
    Bottle off the list at Enoteca Turi.
    Decanted

Lovely fresh sweet red fruit nose to this with some rose petal lift. Very fresh.
    Elegant and balanced on the palate - tannins are nice and fine and powdery.
    I thought this was in a wonderful spot considering its relative youth but clearly could develop more and more (92 pts.)

• 2008 Fattoria Galardi Terra di Lavoro - Italy, Campania, Roccamonfina IGT (10/3/2022)
    Bottle off the list at Enoteca Turi - suggested by the somm.
    Limited notes so no rating - to some extent driven by focusing on the company but also by not having my attention grabbed by the wine.
    This was quite rounded with ripe dark plum and some vanilla. Tannins felt resolved and this was easy to drink without really leaving much of an impression...

Last edited:
Quote>>>
  • NV Pierre Péters Champagne Grand Cru Blanc de Blancs Brut Cuvée de Réserve - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (10/3/2022)

I really liked this.
    Wonderful balance of tangy tropical blanc de blancs goodness but with some rich depth from the perpetual reserve wines. I couldn't see from the bottle when this was disgorged but it was nicely ready.

Could not agree more, had a lovely bottle 2 weeks ago.

Pretty nice start to the week with some BTG at 67PM and then taking my team out for dinner at Enoteca Turi

• 2010 Château Giscours - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Margaux (10/3/2022)
    BTG at 67PM

Took a little time to open up in the glass but then gives ripe dark plum, sappy cedar, a little spearmint and petrichor. Feels quite serious.

More generous on the palate with some red and blue plum, then a crunchy red fruit / cough syrup mid palate before a slightly green finish with some nice savoury elements. Tannins here are supple and fine and this is certainly approachable but i suspect some more time might see it knit together even more. (91 pts.)

• 2012 Didier Dagueneau Les Jardins de Babylone Moelleux - France, Southwest France, Jurançon (10/3/2022)
    BTG at 67PM

I've been meaning to try this for a while after reading up on Jurancon during my WSET and enticed by the name of this wine and Dagueneau's reputation.

The nose is not quite what I had envisaged - steely, a little smoke, white pepper and some charred pineapple

The palate however is far more in line with my hopes - syrupy rich pineapple and mango, allspice, then a fresh mineral finish with a good acidic tang. Wonderful balance to this rich and yet light - lovely stuff (93 pts.)

Then on to Enoteca Turi which I thought was lovely

I really liked this.

• 2013 Conti Costanti Brunello di Montalcino - Italy, Tuscany, Montalcino, Brunello di Montalcino (10/3/2022)
    Decanted

I've got some 2015 of Costanti but have yet to open them and have not tried their wine before.

This was a great experience and the wine that most people on the table preferred.

The nose has a deep intensity of sapid savoury cherry, there is some earthiness there too and tomato leaf.
    Palate delivers a lovely balance of fresh fruit and savouriness - there is great intensity but also freshness - a great example of Brunello from the area nearer Montalcino with a bit of elevation.

• 2014 Produttori del Barbaresco Barbaresco Riserva Pajè - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barbaresco (10/3/2022)
    Bottle off the list at Enoteca Turi.
    Decanted

Lovely fresh sweet red fruit nose to this with some rose petal lift. Very fresh.
    Elegant and balanced on the palate - tannins are nice and fine and powdery.
    I thought this was in a wonderful spot considering its relative youth but clearly could develop more and more (92 pts.)

• 2008 Fattoria Galardi Terra di Lavoro - Italy, Campania, Roccamonfina IGT (10/3/2022)
    Bottle off the list at Enoteca Turi - suggested by the somm.
    Limited notes so no rating - to some extent driven by focusing on the company but also by not having my attention grabbed by the wine.
    This was quite rounded with ripe dark plum and some vanilla. Tannins felt resolved and this was easy to drink without really leaving much of an impression...
Conti Costanti are consistently good in my experience and I buy regularly as a result. Never cheap, but one of the very best and surely worth the outlay. They seem more under the radar here than in Italy.

We had a holiday in Germany yesterday. Some friends over for dinner.
First a very fresh bottle of Pascal Doquet Blanc de Blancs. Pleasant surprise as I hadn‘t it for years. Perfect aperitif champagne, not too big but elegant and medium bodied.
Then a magnum 2005 Clos de Oratoire, dark coloured, lots of red fruit, semi mature, but loosing some firmness over the evening , ripe merlot taste, some years before peak but fine to drink.
After finishing the Clos de Oratoire we grabbed a 2007 Lynch Bages and flash decanted it. Lots of tobacco, red berry and lead pencil, quite full bodied, complex, good integrated tannins, but a lot of life left, very good for the vintage and really Pauillac, 13 % alcohol, there are more elegant Lynch Bages but rarely so pleasing ones early on.
Cheers
Rainer51FEBFDB-95FD-4525-964E-AB3CAE098D23.jpegView attachment 27596View attachment 275962232DCBD-AE17-40FF-B118-B4538D3245D1.jpeg

Last edited:
BIRTHDAY DINNNER AT SSG - (3/10/2022)

Had a great birthday dinner with high-school friends. Fantastic food as usual at SSG and brought along some casual wines as I tried to bring everything under S$70 as they were casual drinkers.
  • NV A. Margaine Champagne Premier Cru Le Brut - France, Champagne, Champagne Premier Cru
    Crowd-pleaser sort of champagne. Powerful but elegant, lots of toasty notes, high dosage (7g/l) but did not stick out. Good purity of fruit for an entry-level, mainly green apples. Not the most refined but good value. (90 pts.)
  • 2012 Veuve Clicquot Ponsardin Champagne Brut Vintage - France, Champagne
    A generous friend brought this to add on to the wines. Was glad to have tried this as I wouldn't have bought this by myself. Alongside the Margaine it did seem to be excessively powerful and rich, and the sweetness did stick out on this one. (88 pts.)
  • 2014 Domaine Pattes Loup Chablis Vent d'Ange - France, Burgundy, Chablis
    Another crowd-pleaser, I have had varying experiences with his entry-level Chablis but this was a hit. Round, creamy texture but with sufficient acidity to bring you back to Chablis. Great depth as usual from this producer, had some oxidative and slight hazelnut notes but definitely not advanced in any way. (91 pts.)
  • 2018 Elise Dechannes Rosé des Riceys - France, Champagne, Rosé des Riceys
    Wasn't the biggest fan of a couple of her champagnes that I have tried before but enjoyed this. Shared some similarities with Horiot's rendition but with a little bit more power, which was well restrained by the tart acidity. Nice raspberry fruit. Went well with food. (91 pts.)
  • 2019 Peter Lauer Kupp Riesling Faß 18 Großes Gewächs - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer
    A richer and more powerful style of Riesling, mostly green fruit of apple and pear which was not fully expressive. A little spritzy. Probably caught this in an awkward phase. (89 pts.)
  • 2015 Aurélien Chatagnier Vin de Pays des Collines Rhodaniennes Le Crêt Louison - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Vin de Pays des Collines Rhodaniennes
    Syrah made in a playful Bojo manner with fresh, crunchy dark red fruits. Despite the glou-glou nature, this was still very youthful without any signs of falling over the cliff, and retained the typicity of the grape. Liked this a lot. (91 pts.)
  • 2005 Pierre-Jacques Druet Bourgueil Vaumoreau - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Bourgueil
    Definitely old-school in a sense of not being the cleanest, and without any polish or heavy extraction. Strong bell pepper note on the nose, high acidity with good depth on the palate. However it felt like the sour cherry fruit was fading relative to the tannins. Not one for the faint-hearted but I enjoyed it. From what I have gathered the winery has been sold and this is the top cuvee with old vines. (90 pts.)
  • 2001 Château Suduiraut - France, Bordeaux, Sauternais, Sauternes
    Leftovers from the previous week. Beautiful Sauternes with some development. Decadent apricot fruit with some orange peel. Rich honey and a little nutty notes. Very good but I find that I can't finish more than half a glass of Sauternes nowadays. (91 pts.)

Decanted

Glad to hear this performed well, I've been wondering whether to start broaching my 13s. Costanti consistently amongst the best of the region imo

Last night we drank some Ginny Povall Botanica Citrusdal Mountain Chenin Blanc 2019. I've come to think of her SA chenin as not necessarily the very best example made in SA, but certainly my favourite. This is a lovely savoury, crystalline wine with a green-tinged colour, proper complexity, appropriate length and an old-vine imprint. Half a degree higher than I'd prefer at 14% in this vintage, but the alcohol does not show through. Aged partly in 400 litre barrels, but you'd never really know. Really delicious stuff.

Last edited:
B3F2216C-7401-444C-A704-57C6DA2CE9B7.jpeg
2018 Three Peaks Domain Treloar
Another Day, another Treloar. Fuller and rounder than the Rescapé as one would expect from a multi varietal. Pretty decent, and comes across as an elegant Southern French/Southern Rhone style. I’d say the Grenache is to the fore with its cooked fruit vibe, peppery notes perhaps hinting at the Syrah component. Quite meaty - along the lines of the juice of a beef stew. Really good and satisfying wine. Cheers Jon!

74DA943F-6544-4ABA-8BBD-6DF971188CBB.jpeg

1997 Poliziano Vino Nobile di Montepulciano "Asinone"
That Treloar disappeared rather quickly (although to be fair we opened it yesterday), so what to follow up with? How about this?
From our wedding year, will it be OTH or still alive and kicking?
Oooh! I think the last bottle seemed past-it, but this is banging! Vibrant with aromas of flowers (roses) as well as fruit (berry fruit as well as cherries & plums) and a touch of roasted meat. Just glorious!
The palate is exceptionally well balanced with fruit/tannin/acidity in perfect balance. Wow! Wow! Wow!
In terms of points, we’re looking at 94+

Last edited:
A mid week delight: 2011 Bourgogne Blanc from Roulot, fresh as a daisy,a sublime light yellow colour, fresh nose of lemon and wild flowers, medium body with an impressing fresh acidity, As good as a 11 years old Bourgogne Blanc can get, blind Iwould have guessed villages or even premier cru level. Really stunning and looking at the price of 15 € in 2014 a great, great deal. Bought in a sale as nobody wanted those 37 bottles :)). Today out of reach but still some left which are looking fine for the next 10 years.
Cheers
Rainer350D19AA-6AFC-493C-A36A-BF3C6DC9600F.jpeg43DAA4D7-AEE0-48E5-BABA-BE348F83048F.jpeg

LdH Viña Bosconia 2010 was really nice. I was afraid it would be way too young to give any pleasure and that it would be an intellectual curiosity over a couple days to see if I want to buy a bottle or three to open in a decade or two. On opening it smelled too much of oak. Everyone knows how I love that stench. Ew. But that actually cleared up pretty well after it was decanted a couple hours and it gained the bright, sharp red fruit of old style Rioja that I like so much. It isn't as spiky as young LdH can be so obviously 12 years has done something to it. It still has the bite of an alligator but there's fruit there to counter the acidity. It's a vaguely Musary experience and that's always nice. I like my Rioja geriatric so I'd still like a couple decades of age on it but it is approachable even now. And it's very tasty. I'm tempted to squirrel away a couple bottles.

View attachment 27616
2018 Three Peaks Domain Treloar
Another Day, another Treloar. Fuller and rounder than the Rescapé as one would expect from a multi varietal. Pretty decent, and comes across as an elegant Southern French/Southern Rhone style. I’d say the Grenache is to the fore with its cooked fruit vibe, peppery notes perhaps hinting at the Syrah component. Quite meaty - along the lines of the juice of a beef stew. Really good and satisfying wine. Cheers Jon!

View attachment 27617

1997 Poliziano Vino Nobile di Montepulciano "Asinone"
That Treloar disappeared rather quickly (although to be fair we opened it yesterday), so what to follow up with? How about this?
From our wedding year, will it be OTH or still alive and kicking?
Oooh! I think the last bottle seemed past-it, but this is banging! Vibrant with aromas of flowers (roses) as well as fruit (berry fruit as well as cherries & plums) and a touch of roasted meat. Just glorious!
The palate is exceptionally well balanced with fruit/tannin/acidity in perfect balance. Wow! Wow! Wow!
In terms of points, we’re looking at 94+
I'm a big fan of Asinone. A 2009 a few months ago was VGI.

2018 Jadot Savigny-Les-Beaune Clos des Guettes Prem Cru. An extra white opened by the rep after a terrific Jadot tasting. Seemd to be quite open on the nose but not sure how long the bottle had been opened? 3 beautiful chardonnays in total.

Derek is very generous, he brought a Pierre Peters magnum to the recent staff summer BBQ!

I'm a big fan of Asinone. A 2009 a few months ago was VGI.
Me too. It was one of the wines that blew me away when I was first getting into it 25 years ago. In fact, on the strength of my first bottle of Asinone, a ‘95 vintage I bought and sold rather a lot of the 1997 in the deli. Still got quite a bit of the 2009; long-serving forumites may be able to guess the price and provenance.

Great to hear the ‘97 is still drinking well.

Last night, after about 5 years of failed attempts, we finally had dinner with @Alex Jagger (i'm not in school today, so we took full advantage). This was our line up:
20221006_220930.jpg

Alex very generously brought the pair of Roulots, which were absolutely superb - slightly reductive in a smokey way, easily on a par with most village Meursaults, if not better still. Both excellent but the 11 seemed to have more over everything - broader but also more focused. The Tignanello was clearly a bit young but is everything you'd expect - rich fruit & glossy but in no way overdone. Subtle oak. The Rancia was more restrained, and absolutely on point. Truthfully we probably didn't need the Port but it was delicious!

Last night, after about 5 years of failed attempts, we finally had dinner with @Alex Jagger (i'm not in school today, so we took full advantage). This was our line up:
View attachment 27645

Alex very generously brought the pair of Roulots, which were absolutely superb - slightly reductive in a smokey way, easily on a par with most village Meursaults, if not better still. Both excellent but the 11 seemed to have more over everything - broader but also more focused. The Tignanello was clearly a bit young but is everything you'd expect - rich fruit & glossy but in no way overdone. Subtle oak. The Rancia was more restrained, and absolutely on point. Truthfully we probably didn't need the Port but it was delicious!
It was a wonderful evening and one of the joys of the forum to make online friends into real ones.

Richard fails to mention he effortlessly knocked up a delicious dinner of Antipasti, featuring some superb Saffron Arancini, a deep and perfectly pitched Ox Cheek Ragu followed by excellent cheese and more chat.

I was really pleased the Roulot's showed well the '13 open now, broad and inviting yet still fresh. The '11 a step above - Rainer does it absolute justice in the post above about his bottle last night! - managing to be wider still but with an extra level of tension and that sense of pith I find a Roulot signature.

The Tignanello was a treat, youthful but so classy and balanced, a wine to linger on and the Rancia was just so drinkable and took the honour of the best food pairing.

Small bottles of Port are a new and exciting development for me and the 30yr old was sweet, light, spicy, elegant and too drinkable at the final stage of the evening.

Last edited:
Fantastic bottle of 96 Montrose at dinner last night. If you've got 'em, get cracking! Elegant, precise with a slightly haughty masculinity that relaxed a bit with air in the glass. Lots of graphite and dark red/black fruits. Definitely my kind of bordeaux. The 98 VCC to follow had the most wonderfully exotic, even slightly kinky, nose. However, the palate definitely needed more time - perhaps another 5 years? All black fruits and still a bit too clenched.