TN Midweek wines

I opened a rosé wine tonight, Nittnaus Zorra 2019, a Zweigelt from somewhere in Austria. Hazy, coppery colour. Quiet a sharp scent, not vinegar, but something sharp that will be off-putting for many but since I like sour beers I love it. Plenty of damp earth aromas and also some sweetish fruit of something close to strawberry aromas. Juicy fruit but sour beer tartness and a clean, refreshing finish. I like pretty extreme "natural" wine so I loved this but those more skeptical of "natural" wine should steer clear. 11,5% abv which is nice; 25€ which is not. Buy again? If it were 10€ cheaper I'd buy it often.

Anyone else drinking anything fun during the week?

EA819923-7327-4694-8D82-C157A7EB1C61.jpeg

Three years on from my previous bottle, this remains youthful. A stemmy feel to the nose initially, very fragrant and lifted with some rose petal in amongst the mid red fruit. Quite full and slightly sappy sweet fruit, broad structure with decent acidity holding a line, and a savoury possibly slightly bitter-edged twang to the finish. There’s plenty to interest one here, but at the moment I can’t quite decide whether I actively like it, or am merely intrigued. Time will tell. If it performs similarly to the previous bottle, it will darken and become fuller/richer with 24hrs in the fridge.

QUE SYRAH SYRAH - Chaoshan Cuisine (14/9/2021)

Syrah night which was very educational. Learning points - I should (a) stick to traditional producers, (b) be patient enough to catch wines at their right drinking window - only the two elder statesmen of the lot were anywhere near ready, (c) it is really easy to guess the producer if you play the man (or with some hints). N.B. I brought an extra bottle because once I smelled the l'Anglore I knew I wouldn't like it even without tasting, but turned out the Villa wasn't great either unfortunately.
  • 2015 Pierre Jean Villa St. Joseph Tilde - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, St. Joseph
    Relatively new domaine. Old-school in terms of aroma - some funk and meatiness, but rather modern terms of oak use and extraction. Late picking too I suspect since apparently he was trained at Clos de Tart. Very plummy, the oak dominated at first to give it a density that the fruit could not support, no finesse to the wine. Settled down with time to become more classic northern Rhone, but I would prefer a more restrained style.
  • 2010 Jean-Michel Gerin Côte-Rôtie Champin le Seigneur - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie
    I've only tried la Vialliere from this producer and to be honest I have avoided it like a plague since then. Was told by the person who brought this that this was the best bottle thus far, and that he didn't like la Vialliere either. In any case, this was a lovely drink. Managed to get the producer correct with an easy hint. Secondary aroma on the nose that was rather Burgundy-like in terms of sous-bois, greenness and spice. Showed a lot of classicism and the Sensory brought out the elegance of the wine very well. Thoroughly impressed even though this was the basic Côte-Rôtie.
  • 2003 Domaine de Peyre Rose Coteaux du Languedoc Clos Syrah Leone - France, Languedoc Roussillon, Languedoc, Coteaux du Languedoc
    With the Bordeaux-like nose of eucalyptus, everyone was in Australia for this. But after being told it was from France, it was quite easy to narrow down the producer. Very classic and tight still, enjoyed this much more than 2004 which was rather disjointed. As someone mentioned, perhaps they overcompensated for the cool vs warm vintage. Very intense core of fruit that did not veer towards sweetness that should have suggested old-world, better with time but still a long way to go for this wine.
  • 2019 Dard et Ribo St. Joseph - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, St. Joseph
    I was leaning towards Côte-Rôtie with the acidity and elegance behind the dense purple fruit on this. Natural style but still clean despite what I have read, although the bubble gum nature was rather distracting for me. Out of all the wines this had the strongest olive note, some liquorice that I did not like. Better with air but I think the others liked this more than me.
  • 2019 Domaine de l'Anglore Les Traverses - France, Vin de France
    70% Syrah, 30% Grenache. Rather disappointed with this after the very impressive rose that I loved. Made in a glou-glou, natural style with overbearing purple fruit that wasn't in balance with the tartness of the wine. Bojo-like in a bad way. I have a 2013 of this and I dare not imagine how it tastes like.

Last edited:
Last night I finished off a Saint Romain blanc La Combe Bazin Domaine Billard 2018 - no fireworks, but just a lovely, easy-going, everyday white burgundy. Straightforward but beautifully lightweight (but not inconsequential) - almost ethereal. A dash of minerality adds spark to the very decent finish. An astonishing bargain for the £12 DP I paid for this wine, which was sourced by bargain hunter extraordinaire Michael Warner. I should have bought more than the three bottles I took, but at the time 'I wasn't buying wine'. This will be my bargain white of the year in Tom's roundup.

View attachment 21076

Maybe not his best vintage but quaffable nevertheless... very good but not great
As you say Antoine, a very good wine. Then again it is only village. The '12 is a couple of notches better, IMO. The secondary market price is bonkers, of course.
  • 2013 Domaine G. Roumier / Christophe Roumier Chambolle-Musigny - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Chambolle-Musigny (10/10/2020)
    Lovely colour; serious bouquet, stern even, an earthiness along with a mix of red & black fruits; has a weightlessness, touch of white pepper, tannins remain; good depth to a firm finish. Give this more time. (90 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker

Pichon Baron 1989. Excellent fill, good cork, promising colour with little bricking.
Nose - disappointing initially, gets worse.
Palate - strangely savoury, drying tanins, barely any fruit, barely anything pleasing in truth.
A weird showing I’m struggling to make sense of! Other bottles have been excellent. Could it have been a fake?!

I have two cases of burgundy from my TWS cellar plan:

Louis Jadot Marsannay Clos du Roy (Gagey) 2015​

Louis Jadot, Chorey-lès Beaune Les Beauxmonts (Domaine Gagey) 2015​

One is suggested to drink 2023 -, the other 2024-. I have relatively limited experience with TWS drink dates, and these wines. Does anybody else have some insight into a) whether these dates from TWS are likely accurate (conflicting views on this in other places, such as TWS community), b) whether either are worth a shot (or better still, has anybody had these exact wines?). I do of course have other options for tonight so will gladly accept that opening either would be a 'bad' move, but...curiosity...

Thank you!

(Posted this in the wrong weekly thread originally!)

Business lunch with a colleague at the Lighterman pub, behind kings x today. Wasn’t going to drink but then my colleague was keen so looked at the short list with low expectations, only to see this

1631722884273.jpeg

So despite the incorrect naming of the wine, it’s not a BB but a HCdeB of course, a bottle was duly ordered.

Managed to hide my amazement and excitement whilst doing so, think I managed a casual “shall we have the chardonnay?”.

Still a bit young and tight but opened up nicely to show a good hit of aniseed amongst the limey apple juiciness. Lovey line of acidity too. Very good but not as characterful as the straight BB in this vintage.

What a result though!

1631723177392.jpeg

Pichon Baron 1989. Excellent fill, good cork, promising colour with little bricking.
Nose - disappointing initially, gets worse.
Palate - strangely savoury, drying tanins, barely any fruit, barely anything pleasing in truth.
A weird showing I’m struggling to make sense of! Other bottles have been excellent. Could it have been a fake?!
It sounds like low level TCA from your description, Jonathan.

Yes, very surprising pricing. The Tempier rose at £75 is more or less 3x TWS retail but the PYCM is not even 3x AB EP all in pricing. Don’t really know the other wines.

Maximin Grunhauser Abstberg superior 2009. Acquired after the positive review a year or so again from Mutter the fine fiddler, and very fine it is too. His review had a nice link to a Bonny Doon note which captured the layering here nicely. Drier than expected, some lemon pith, honey, lots of citrus going on, pineapple. Slightly heavier glycerine mouthfeel perhaps. Label says 12° alcohol but not evident. Wife who usually swerves German wines was enthusiastic, a positive though potentially expensive sign. CM's original note here: Post in thread 'The weekend starts here' The weekend starts here

Maximin Grunhauser Abstberg superior 2009. Acquired after the positive review a year or so again from Mutter the fine fiddler, and very fine it is too. His review had a nice link to a Bonny Doon note which captured the layering here nicely. Drier than expected, some lemon pith, honey, lots of citrus going on, pineapple. Slightly heavier glycerine mouthfeel perhaps. Label says 12° alcohol but not evident. Wife who usually swerves German wines was enthusiastic, a positive though potentially expensive sign. CM's original note here: Post in thread 'The weekend starts here' The weekend starts here
Sounds as if I should make an opportunity to open a bottle from my stash, then...
What I actually opened today was 1983 Château Cissac - at the end of my case, most of which was drunk a decade or two ago; lovely ruby colour, with bricking at the edge; nose of cedar wood, pencil shavings; on the palate, somewhat dried out and astringent, but still pleasant, with just a touch of blackcurrant fruit, and reasonable length of finish. Still a pleasurable experience, though I certainly wouldn't keep any longer if I had any more; Cissac does tend to be a bit stern and astringent, anyway.

Dinner at 67PM last night. The food seems to be getting continually better (I had clam and chilli linguine, then venison with beetroot, potato galette, juniper mayonnaise, blackberry jus) but they are really suffering from the staffing crisis (e.g. they've had to close one of their kitchens) and service was pretty slow.

I picked the Champagne and Sauternes and let the somm suggest matches for the food. Quite happy to have my prejudices confirmed about expensive new world wines that merchants send lots of emails about :)
  • NV Bollinger Champagne PN VZ16 - France, Champagne (9/15/2021)
    Remarkably effervescent, showing how recently this wine has been released. Airy nose, so fresh and elegant - would NOT have guessed this to be BdN by Bollinger. More grunt on the palate though, which was already giving some trademark umami richness. Finally, a touch of sweetness on the finish, that may integrate with time. I think I prefer this to the VZ15, given this wine's greater finesse. (92 pts.)
  • 2017 Domaines Schlumberger Riesling Kitterlé - France, Alsace, Alsace Grand Cru (9/15/2021)
    Surprisingly deep yellow colour given this wine's youth. Deeply aromatic nose, with rounded yellow fruit and hints of sherbert and menthol. Good depth on the palate, with hints of cedary woodiness, but could maybe use a bit more acidity. Enjoyable although not complex. (91 pts.)
  • 2016 Seña - Chile, Aconcagua Valley (9/15/2021)
    Quite primary on the fruit-dominated nose, with some lactic oak - overall, not that inviting. More interesting in the mouth, with real depth on the mid-palate (so much so it almost earned a higher score), dark and brambly.
    Primary, juicy, fresh finish, which is extremely long. Tannins well resolved already. Somewhat impressive then, but also rather... boring. (91 pts.)
  • 1997 Château Rieussec - France, Bordeaux, Sauternais, Sauternes (9/15/2021)
    Half bottle. So much darker than the 2005 drunk last week - fully chestnut brown. Really heady and spicy on the nose - tons of botrytis.
    The palate provided masses of flavour, with honeycomb, sultana, exotic cologne, ginger, and deep intense orange, but with a lightness that avoided the wine being a marmalade-soaked 'mature Sauternes' caricature. Really powerful, with unerring acid-driven drive towards the finish, which was very long and not too sweet. (93 pts.)