Oddities #11 - April 8th

The next Oddities Lunch at RC will be on Friday 8th April. Details are now on the offline planner.

Excuse the addition of a couple of names already. I promised one after they had to drop out of Friday's, and the other person is still unable to get access to the new site (which I hope is being worked on by the techie team).

Some of the preamble info is new, so read that, and remember to sign up for email updates.

Oddities was another great success on Friday, or at least I hope so.

For the benefit of attendees you can find my notes on the Blog. I won't link as I know it upsets some people, to whom I apologise for not rehashing them here, at least right now - we are desperately trying to clear our loft before the builders arrive and so I'm busy. Hopefully everyone who is interested will know where to find it.

I'm hopeful to be able to announce a date for the June lunch fairly soon.

Thanks to all for their contributions - posting the full list below in the hope it tempts a few newbies along in June:

Chöying White 2016, Laurie Lange, Kathmandu, Nepal
“White Buried” 2013, Luckett Vineyards, Gaspereau Valley, Nova Scotia
“Imathia” White 2014, Chrisohoou Estate, Naousa, Greece
Dr Loosen Ürziger Würzgarten Riesling Alte Reben Reserve 2011, Mosel
Rkatsiteli 2012, Kakhetia, Georgia
Stapleton & Springer “Blanc” Pinot Noir 2014 Moravia, Czech Republic
Stapleton & Springer “Orange” Pinot Noir 2014, Moravia, Czech Republic
“RPM” Gamay 2013, El Dorado, California
Ruché di Castagnole Monferrato 2013, Montalbera
Humagne Rouge 2009, Simon Maye & Fils, Chamoson, Valais (Switzerland)
Chianti Classico Brolio 1964 (?), Barone Ricasoli, Tuscany
Brunello di Montalcino 2006, Altesino, Tuscany
Cuvée “Longo Mai” 2009, Domaine des Hautes Collines, St Jeannet/IGP Alpes Maritimes, Provence
Campania Rosso IGP 2011, Azienda Monte di Grazia, Tramonti (Amalfi Coast)
Ajaccio AOC Cuvée Faustine 2004, Comte Abbatucci, Casalabriva, Corsica
Galilee Mount Hermon Dessert Muscat 1990, Yarden, Israel

Thank you Tom. We are approaching a dozen of these offlines. We have drunk at least 170 "odd" wines. Still they keep coming, amazingly almost none being poor or wines you'd not be happy to drink at home or in a restaurant.

Thanks for organising David - Rochelle Canteen is great and it was lovely to see old friends and meet new faces.

The Duck main course was sensational!

Yes, the duck was indeed sensational! Thank you for organizing these events, which are blissfully free of any sense of obligation to wow others with the august and famous. I'm pretty sure that all of us have learnt something from every one of these taht we have attended. Perhaps not David C. though, whose knowledge of the outer limits is legendary!

Do please read David's writeup on his blog - it's very good.

An excellent lunch. I always approach Oddities with a high sense of anticipation and this was no exception. The first rare duck I've had for a long time which didn't taste slightly of fish - a reason why I prefer duck well cooked, but when it's sublime as Rochelle's, that statement feels a bit silly.

As to the wines, I enjoyed most - the lees-aged Riesling took it for me (I'll be buying when it comes on the market) and it was nice to share a suitcase-lugged wine from my travels in Nova Scotia last year.

To answer Jonathan's question about the Brunello - nothing 'odd' in an 'odd' sense - but it tasted far older than the vintage, which is a bit of a slow-burner for Tuscany.