TN On cru bourgeois 2014

The sprawling cru bourgeois category of Bordeaux - currently some 250 wines - is rather variable in quality, with many "no names". But some economically priced diamonds can be found in the rough. Take 2014, as an example. In the northern Médoc, 2014 is often better than 2015, because rains fell at the wrong time in the latter - more "celebrated" - vintage.

That applies as much to famous brands like Cos d'Estournel as it does to more humble cru bourgeois. For example, comparing Montrose 2014 and 2015, the latter was made from under 40% of the crop, as more selection was needed. The 2014 Montrose included over 60% of the crop. Tasted side by side, both were very good, but the 2014 seemed more elegant and balanced - more "effortless." I am looking forward to tasting UGCB classified growths 2014 from bottle, here in New York City (am visiting for a long weekend) tomorrow, to see how the 2014s are from bottle.

But cru bourgeois is less expensive and can yield excellent QPR bargains. Take for example Château Fontis (AOC Médoc). Based in Ordonnac – where 2015 saw more rain at the wrong time – this 2014 is a better wine and one of the best Médoc AOC wines from a tasting I enjoyed in Bordeaux late last year, as it conveyed a suave and smooth aspect for its tannins, and an orange rind like freshness combined with the expected red and black fruits expected from the Cabernet and Merlot, evenly mixed in this wine that clocks in at 13% alcohol.

I was able to assess many more cru bourgeois 2014s late last year - and again this month in Washington D.C.

While they can be uneven, sometimes you find very worthy wines.

More details with pics and video here:
Diamonds in the rough: Cru Bourgeois 2014

Last edited: