Prosecco Rosé: the future?

We've been here before in 2010

Italian authorities have seized a shipment of sparkling rosé called Rosecco destined for UK retailer Marks and Spencer.

In August 2009, Prosecco was granted EU legal protection as a DOC and can only be made from at least 85% Glera grapes, with the rest local white varieties, grown in the Veneto and Friuli Venezia Giulia regions.

Glera is the historical name for the Prosecco grape.

The pink version, formerly called Prosecco Raboso, Prosecco Rosé or similar, must now go by another name.

http://www.decanter.com/wine-news/marks-and-spencers-italian-pink-fizz-seized-60343/

Tom Cannavan

Administrator
One of my favourite restaurants in Glasgow just couldn't survive after two years of trading and closed in January. I noticed the premises was being refurbished a couple of months ago. Last week the sign writers were in and the new incarnation was unveiled. Ladies and gentlemen, I bring you 'Pasta & Prosecco'.

I could weep.

I'm vaguely reminded of the success of cheap Lambrusco (the sweet and sickly stuff) when I was a student in England. Is it still popular? I've since learned to love Lambrusco, but that applies to another kind of Lambrusco, of course.

I must say that when the Prosecco bubble bursts (ouch, sorry) there will be a lot of disappointed Italians. And it surely will because fashions change. One might expect it to last as long as NZ Savvy and Italian PG have, but I keep being told by MW types that Cava is due for a big comeback at Prosecco’s expense.