NWR R.I.P. Prince Philip

Status
Not open for further replies.
An extremely well written obituary from the beeb with a great quote to finish that summed him up perfectly.

I have been worried for some time about what an enormous shock it will be to the whole country when the Queen finally passes. Hardly any of us have known anything else in our lives than the pair of them there, rock solid in their determination to put the country and their duty first.

Tom Cannavan

Administrator
It's certainly signalling the end of an era. I like what I know of Princess Anne, but of course Charles is next in line. Although he has some qualities I admire, there's something about the stoicism and reserve of the Queen that is rather wonderful, and seems unlikely to ever be seen again - certainly not in the next couple of generations (assuming the monarchy remains).

Here he is in inimitable action opening a wind tunnel my grandfather was director of in the early 50s (my grandfather, the very definition of what the Duke would have somewhat skeptically called a boffin, is variously poking the mock-up and sitting behind the box which actually switches the thing on when the Duke presses the button). His speech is both a bit mad and genuinely funny and engaged with what the place was trying to do.

Here he is in inimitable action opening a wind tunnel my grandfather was director of in the early 50s (my grandfather, the very definition of what the Duke would have somewhat skeptically called a boffin, is variously poking the mock-up and sitting behind the box which actually switches the thing on when the Duke presses the button). His speech is both a bit mad and genuinely funny and engaged with what the place was trying to do.

Thanks for sharing this lovely clip. I now have this image in my head of the two of them sitting on the lawn in Windsor castle whilst a noisy plane flies over every few minutes and the Queen staring across at the Duke rolling her eyes and saying “.... stop moaning you old fool, you supported this industry“.

I really liked Philip. Rainer‘s comment above summed him up!

I love a good Pathé newsreel. I've just been reading Lady Glenconner's memoirs, in which Philip features, and the dramatis personae really were all mad, sometimes for good and sometimes for very ill, for reasons it seems not too hard to diagnose.
It's hard to imagine a more glamorous job description than 'director of a wind tunnel'!

He looked set for his ton, having survived a few lbw appeals earlier this year. Must have got a faint outside edge. I will remember him for being a colourful character who seemed to be oblivious to his uncanny knack of causing offence by engaging in polite conversation.

He looked set for his ton, having survived a few lbw appeals earlier this year. Must have got a faint outside edge. I will remember him for being a colourful character who seemed to be oblivious to his uncanny knack of causing offence by engaging in polite conversation.
Yes - he made many faux pas but it came across that he wasn't trying to offend anyone. A bit like football banter between friends.

On FB today someone was annoyed by the fact the the BBC have stopped normal programming to honour Prince Phillip's life.

I must say it is must watch TV. He did much for this country, involved with many things which bettered this world we live in. An interview of a 30 year old chap who did the Duke of Edinburgh award whilst in prison at 18 years old, who went onto achieve a career in cooking and his own business was poignant. His work with WWF I remember as a child. But his selfless work to protect and support his wife our Queen will be his enduring legacy and worth every minute of reporting we shall see over this evening and tomorrow.

It's must see TV.

On FB today someone was annoyed by the fact the the BBC have stopped normal programming to honour Prince Phillip's life.

I must say it is must watch TV. He did much for this country, involved with many things which bettered this world we live in. An interview of a 30 year old chap who did the Duke of Edinburgh award whilst in prison at 18 years old, who went onto achieve a career in cooking and his own business was poignant. His work with WWF I remember as a child. But his selfless work to protect and support his wife our Queen will be his enduring legacy and worth every minute of reporting we shall see over this evening and tomorrow.

It's must see TV.
So why show it on both channels? Plenty of people aren't that interested and wouldn't consider it "must see" TV. I personally prefer reading about it than watching bloated documentaries.
I agree with you on your points regarding his contribution, though.

Sad news. His death feels like the loss of an important connection to the history of this country. It's at a time like this that one also realises just what a lot the Royals have to put up with - yes they are privileged but also public service for such a prolonged period is unprecedented.

It's must see TV.
Sean is referring to me. Why does every tv channel have to curtail their schedule? Perhaps it's to show the highlights of his gaffs?

I suspect I am one of the more technically challenged forum correspondents but even I can find plenty of alternative audiovisual entertainment should I not wish to watch this coverage. Whether or not one is a monarchist, and nowadays I am because there is in many ways not enough absurdity in our lives, there can be no doubt that the Duke of Edinburgh was an exceptionally prominent figure for the entirety of most of our lives.

Sean is referring to me. Why does every tv channel have to curtail their schedule? Perhaps it's to show the highlights of his gaffs?
I recall feeling the same as an angry 16 year old when BBC Radio 1 pulled a live broadcast of a Gig I desperately wanted to attend but couldn't. 21 years later I have greater sympathy - there aren't many who've given themselves to public service for as long as he had.

Status
Not open for further replies.