Food Restaurants recommendations in Trier?

Can anyone recommend somewhere to eat in Trier? I'm planning a trip to the auction in September and would like options to eat the night before (after the Meisterwerke der Mosel tasting)

A very nice, traditional restaurant is Klosterschenke Pfalzel – delicious French and regional cuisine. The historic building, a medieval monastery and refuge castle, is beautiful located directly on the riverbank in the Pfalzel district. The Klosterschenke has a beautiful terrace and several historical dining rooms available for private hire. A very relaxing location.

Klosterschenke Trier - Hotel und Restaurant in der Moselregion - Rheinland-Pfalz - Zimmer und Appartements

Situated in the Olewig district, just a few minutes away from the city centre, Becker’s is an excellent, very modern restaurant - rewarded with two Michelin stars. There is also a Becker’s Hotel and a Becker’s Weinhaus. The Weinhaus has its own menu.

Restaurant mit 2 Michelin-Sternen und zeitgemäßem Design in Trier

Last edited:
We were there around 3-4 years ago and you could do a lot worse than eating at the Von Kesselstatt winery. You can buy their wines by the bottle and/or glass with barely any mark up on retail price, and order plates of cheeses, charcuterie etc. If the weather is decent there were lots of outdoor tables too.

Scloss Monaise? I have only eaten there once - in 2006 as a pennyless student (Roman N of Van Volxem very kindly booked us in and I had no idea of what it was going to cost - a terrifying experience) - but it was great. Menu still looks good today.

The Meisterwerke der Mosel tasting can be a bit of a scrum. I don't bother: enough energy is required for the pre-auction tasting, for which my only advice is "get there early" based on the crush in recent years.

Been to Schloss Monaise many times over the years. Can be chaos on the pre-auction night, especially if the chef gets interested in the wines rather than the cooking. A short taxi ride from Trier. Okish at best.

Schanz (**) mentioned by Chiu is the choice of fine dining. I've been there with a UK group the last few years, including last year pre-auction, when it wasn't overrun as too distant from Trier. The drawback is that it is in Piesport, quite a long taxi ride from Trier. Of course great to have Julian Haart Kabinett here, but there isn't much left.

Becker's (**) isn't the level of Schanz foodwise. No rush to go back there for me.

Eurener-Hof has plain food, with plenty of game, again a short taxi ride from the centre. It used to have a good wine list, but the previous bargains have mostly been drunk by Russell of these pages. :)

Das Wenhaus is good to sample recent vintages at modest prices. Be careful of bottles that have been stored in the restaurant for some time: most things are just stored along the wall.

Von Kesselstatt is a good place for a beer and simple food, a regular lunch place with friends on auction day but needs someone to drive from the current auction venue. It is often beautiful weather in mid-September to sit outside. Not fine dining. Never been in the evening.

Last edited:
Not much to add to Paul’s comments. Schanz is very good but slow.

Eurener still has some interesting things but the food has changed a bit, not really for the better in my (non red meat eating) view.

Belle Époque in Traaben-Trabach was good on last two recent trips but I’ve drink the last Haart Schubertslay.

Last edited:
The Meisterwerke der Mosel tasting can be a bit of a scrum. I don't bother: enough energy is required for the pre-auction tasting, for which my only advice is "get there early" based on the crush in recent years.

Been to Schloss Monaise many times over the years. Can be chaos on the pre-auction night, especially if the chef gets interested in the wines rather than the cooking. A short taxi ride from Trier. Okish at best.

Schanz (**) mentioned by Chiu is the choice of fine dining. I've been there with a UK group the last few years, including last year pre-auction, when it wasn't overrun as too distant from Trier. The drawback is that it is in Piesport, quite a long taxi ride from Trier. Of course great to have Julian Haart Kabinett here, but there isn't much left.

Becker's (**) isn't the level of Schanz foodwise. No rush to go back there for me.

Eurener-Hof has plain food, with plenty of game, again a short taxi ride from the centre. It used to have a good wine list, but the previous bargains have mostly been drunk by Russell of these pages. :)

Das Wenhaus is good to sample recent vintages at modest prices. Be careful of bottles that have been stored in the restaurant for some time: most things are just stored along the wall.

Von Kesselstatt is a good place for a beer and simple food, a regular lunch place with friends on auction day but needs someone to drive from the current auction venue. It is often beautiful weather in mid-September to sit outside. Not fine dining. Never been in the evening.

Thanks so much Paul, this is exactly what I was looking for