Sassicaia 2010…is it ready?

It was my favourite at a vertical back in the spring, and a seriously good wine. It was certainly approachable in bottle, though even then my note suggested restraint in bottle format, let alone D-Mag…

Posted from CellarTracker

I think you may have got the message by now Ed.

A wine I would love to try after Simon’s notes, but I cannot recall ever trying a bottle of Sassicaia that really moved me, and most of what I purchased I sold a long time ago, mainly stuff from the 1990s, with the marketing blurb comparing the 1997 to the 1985, a wine I never tried.

Think Tignanello is the more serious wine, with apologies for the thread drift.

I attended a Sassicaia masterclass of 10 different vintages of the grand vin at the weekend. It was led by Priscilla Rocchetta (External Relations Officer) and in large part Susan Hulme.

The name Sassicaia means ‘soil with many stones’. Based in Bolgheri, the vines are planted on four separate plots across 90ha. 20ha is devoted to the second wine Guidalberto.

The first vintage was made in 1968 and released in 1971. Originally it was sold as a basic IGT table wine, but was granted Bolgheri Sassicaia DOC in 2013.

After stainless-steel fermentation, the wines are typically aged for about two years in French oak, about one third of which is new. About 250,000 bottles are produced per year. The wines are close enough to the sea to get a cooling influence.

The assemblage for all of these wines is set at 85% Cabernet Sauvignon, 15% Cabernet Franc.

1999 – (magnum) tobacco, wood furniture, older profile nose, still vibrant fresh palate

2002 – a poor vintage year, liquorice, black fruit, woodland character, good colour, quite heavy unresolved tannins

2005 – (magnum) a hotter vintage year, riper nose, creaminess, dryness to the finish

2006 – (magnum) a cooler vintage, lovely blackberry, bramble, cedar, gravelly tannins, vanilla, great length and interest

2008 – smoked cheese, silky palate, freshness and balance, wild shrubs and Mediterranean herbs

2011 – (magnum) riper, red fruit, good acidity

2013 – (magnum) a classic vintage, elegant and balanced, no dryness to the tannins, seamless phenolic ripeness, very bright and fresh, excellent

2015 – a bit more funky, mushroom, farmyard

2017 – a lighter vintage, plenty of acidity and vibrancy to the palate

2019 – a fantastic vintage, young but lots of freshness and juicy fruit, needs cellaring

255B1DA7-2409-4EA8-BF70-62D663EE33D6.jpeg

Attachments

• 2519DA30-BF8B-4C56-97A8-DF1748DB0BBA.jpeg
    2519DA30-BF8B-4C56-97A8-DF1748DB0BBA.jpeg
    50.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I attended a Sassicaia masterclass of 10 different vintages of the grand vin at the weekend. It was led by Priscilla Rocchetta (External Relations Officer) and in large part Susan Hulme.

The name Sassicaia means ‘soil with many stones’. Based in Bolgheri, the vines are planted on four separate plots across 90ha. 20ha is devoted to the second wine Guidalberto.

The first vintage was made in 1968 and released in 1971. Originally it was sold as a basic IGT table wine, but was granted Bolgheri Sassicaia DOC in 2013.

After stainless-steel fermentation, the wines are typically aged for about two years in French oak, about one third of which is new. About 250,000 bottles are produced per year. The wines are close enough to the sea to get a cooling influence.

The assemblage for all of these wines is set at 85% Cabernet Sauvignon, 15% Cabernet Franc.

1999 – (magnum) tobacco, wood furniture, older profile nose, still vibrant fresh palate

2002 – a poor vintage year, liquorice, black fruit, woodland character, good colour, quite heavy unresolved tannins

2005 – (magnum) a hotter vintage year, riper nose, creaminess, dryness to the finish

2006 – (magnum) a cooler vintage, lovely blackberry, bramble, cedar, gravelly tannins, vanilla, great length and interest

2008 – smoked cheese, silky palate, freshness and balance, wild shrubs and Mediterranean herbs

2013 – (magnum) a classic vintage, elegant and balanced, no dryness to the tannins, seamless phenolic ripeness, very bright and fresh, excellent

2019 – a fantastic vintage, young but lots of freshness and juicy fruit, needs cellaring

View attachment 28284

Vintage variation aside, in general at what age did they pass from ’cellar further’ to ‘ready for the table’?

Not withstanding personal preference I would say the 2011 and 2008 were starting to drink, so 11-14 years post vintage?

In general they feel accessible a bit earlier than their Bordeaux cousins, perhaps unsurprising given the warmer climate.

Last edited:
2011 we had an an offline almost exactly a year ago now was a bit closed - i have another bottle and certainly will be waiting.
I have a single of 2010 so will wait rather than pop soon I think

View attachment 28284
I bought a dozen 02 for peanuts due to its poor reputation. All long gone, but from memory it was pretty enjoyable.

2011 we had an an offline almost exactly a year ago now was a bit closed - i have another bottle and certainly will be waiting.
I have a single of 2010 so will wait rather than pop soon I think
Same here for the 2011s; I found it to be most grumpy about a year ago. Going to give them a year or two before I broach again