Sediment in aged Torpedo and other non-bottle conditioned beers...

I've been ageing a bottle of Sierra Nevada's Torpedo Extra IPA (7.2%), bottled in mid September 2015. It has developed about an inch of sediment that looks like yeast. Anyway, I'm dying to try it to prove that old IPAs are the best (eh?), but I suspect the sediment is some sort of protein. I've noticed it in other (non-bottle conditioned) beers such as Lees Harvest Ale 2008 and Scaldis Noel (BB 2008). Does anyone know what is happening to the beer?

I would like to say first that I do not think that USA or USA style beers age well. You will just reduce the hop character. I think this is true of most IPAs. The only one that anybody recommends ageing is White Shield. I accidentally aged a Meantime IPA (when it was still bottle-conditioned) and most of the hoppiness disappeared from the finish. Also non bottle-conditioned beers do not generally improve with age, although there a a few strong ones that do. Lees Harvest Ale being one of these.

I believe some versions of the Scaldis Noel have been bottle-conditioned but I have found particles in the standard Scaldis. I think this is protein. Protein particles in beer that is not bottle-conditioned can be due to infection or the beer being stale. The Bush beers I had with particles in tasted okay.

Conversely, I had a couple of bottles of Wells and Youngs London Gold, which is bottle-conditioned, that did not have a trace of sediment. They poured and tasted differently from the usual beer and seemed more like filtered beer. The label stated these were bottle-conditioned. I e-mailed the brewery who responded promptly to say that this beer is still bottle-conditioned but they had concerns over the yeast count in one batch after testing it but passed it for sale. I think the beers were bottled with so little yeast that they could barely pass for bottle-conditioned. I have never come across this before.

I was just being contrary, though I would love them to taste delicious. While modern day American hoppy beers are supposed to be drunk as young as possible, in the old days IPAs were often aged before sale (though that was a different world, of course). Anyway, I was just surprised and intrigued by the great amount of strange sediment in the beer. And I suppose if any are going to taste nice, then trusty old Sierra Nevada beers are most likely to.