Sherry

Well I suspect we all blew our 14 units for the week at the Friday Fish and Fino yesterday. Hope we have all recovered. Difficult to choose a wine of the day so I won't. All real gems.

After a 13.6% (sic) Palomino table wine from Lebrija, that was quite a range of 12 Generosos - Finos, Manzanillas and Palos Cortados.

1. Gonzalez Palacios Solo Palomino Vino Blanco de Crianza Biologica Añada 2013 DO Lebrija 75 cl / Warren Edwardes

2. Bodegas Malaga Virgen Fino Lagar de Benavides, Pedro Ximénez DO Montilla-Moriles 75 cl / Warren Edwardes

3. Valdespino Inocente Fino Palomino / Tom Blach

4. Lustau Puerto Fino Palomino / Jeremy Carne

5. Fortnum and Mason Fino by Bodegas Tradición Palomino / Oliver Coleman-Green

6. Hidalgo La Panesa Especial Fino Palomino / Heather Smith

7. Equipo Navazos La Bota Fino #54 Palomino / Simon Smith

8. Gonzalez Palacios Flor de Lebrija Frasquito En Rama, Palomino/ Warren Edwardes

9. La Gitana En Rama Manzanilla (2015 bot) Palomino / Douglas Palin

10. Las Medallas de Argueso Manzanilla 75cl Palomino / Simon Beatty

11. Equipo Navazos La Bota #55 Manzanilla 75cl. Miguel Sanchez Ayala, Palomino 15% / David Crossley

12. BB&R Palo Cortado bottle by Lustau 37.5 cl Palomino / Simon Beatty

13. Pedro Domecq Sibarita VRPC Palo Cortado Palomino / Jeremy Carne

Last edited:
It was excellent fun. I found it hard to choose favourites though the Lustau Puerto Fino considerably outperformed my expectations. What was most interesting was how extraordinarily different they all were. They made a splendid and highly digestible accompaniment to fish and chips, in fact I can't think of a better one, finding beer tastes of soap with deep fried food and table wines somehow compromised. Champagne is good, of course, but far harder on the stomach.

It was excellent fun. I found it hard to choose favourites though the Lustau Puerto Fino considerably outperformed my expectations. What was most interesting was how extraordinarily different they all were. They made a splendid and highly digestible accompaniment to fish and chips, in fact I can't think of a better one, finding beer tastes of soap with deep fried food and table wines somehow compromised. Champagne is good, of course, but far harder on the stomach.

I was actually surprised that Lustau Puerto Fino was so much closer to a Fino than to a Manzanilla. I was expecting with that array of wines we would get a clear step-ladder of Flor from Montilla to Jerez to El Puerto de Santamaria to Sanlucar de Barrameda and finally to Lebrija.

I was also expecting much more flor in the Equipo Navazos La Bota #55 Manzanilla. Side by side with the Equipo Navazos La Bota Fino #54 the flor change was noticeable though it had less flor than the other Manzanillas and Lebrija.

A really lovely lunch and no duds. And I noted at the time there was no TCA in any of them.

Very sorry not to be able to join as the theme and venue a neat intersection of interest. I'm extremely jealous of what sounds like a super lunch. Well done Warren.

We'll just have to do another one with another selection of Finos and Manzanilla. It came to £120 including £5 per bottle corkage plus mega tip for the 9 of us. £20 each. A bargain.

Warren, it actually came to more than that, and indeed you remind me that there is something I need to talk to you about offline.

The lunch was nothing short of brilliant. The food was a great showcase for some stunning wines. I'm guessing the cost of all thirteen bottles together would have been no more than that of some of the bottles that end up at Christmas Wimps, yet they were all pretty exciting.

A very well focussed lineup. Very enjoyable. Thank you for organising, Warren.

That was jolly!

I think my favourite was the Gitana en Rama.

But it was the overall concept wot won it. Fried fish and sherry was like going back to Cadiz.

Thank you for organising a very pleasing do, Warren.

Let's start thinking of Finos and Manzanillas for Fish and Fino II in a few months - if there is an appetite for another one.

Maybe rounding off with a single PX and pudding - or indeed traditional vanilla ice cream.

Do they do dessert at Masters, Warren? Didn't see any on the menu.

Perhaps not. No sign of dessert on the menu

o.jpg