TN Sylvain Pataille Fleur de Pinot Marsannay Rosé 2017

Rose copper Color. Starts with somewhat natural wine bruised apples and quickly develops into forest raspberry.
Rose grapefruit and raspberry on the palate. Silky texture and transparent undetectable tannins. Refreshing acidity gives a very light mouth feeling. Aristocratic and elegant.
This ageworthy rose comes from very old (up to 85yo) vines. 15% Pinot Gris and 85% Pinot Noir.
90+

I quite like this style of rose. Gentle extraction, silky texture.
IMG_20200606_160709.jpg

Last edited:
I like Pataille - they are very distinct - I usually buy his Longeroies and Montange plus the Bourgogne Rouge Chapitre which I find excellent value.....

The Longeroies 2011 is drinking quite well last time I had it but needs more time.

The labels are fugly though.

I like Pataille - they are very distinct - I usually buy his Longeroies and Montange plus the Bourgogne Rouge Chapitre which I find excellent value.....

The Longeroies 2011 is drinking quite well last time I had it but needs more time.

The labels are fugly though.
He chose the strange colour to be noticeable and cheap. He has been spending all his available money on vineyards.
He has designed new labels but other business priorities keep taking priority. One day..

I really like the Pataille wines and have quite a few. I got into them after being allocated the Clos du Roy 2011 as part of a Vintage Cellar Plan at TWS (assuming chosen by Toby!) Since then I have bought something in most vintages as they scratch a burgundy itch for me at a good price (although understandably they have increased in percentages terms a fair bit over the past few years).

I took clos du Roy and Longeroies ‘11 to burgundy WIMPS the other year and thought they showed well, although it was at the point I realised I may prefer Longeroies despite owning more Clos du Roy.

The Marsannay Rouge ‘14 has delighted me and I dispatched a six pack in quick order.

The Longeroies ‘10 at £18 in the bin end section was a bargain and thoroughly enjoyed a couple of uears ago.

The labels are distinctive at least, and often draws a “oooh its the purple label wine, I really like those” when brought to the table.

Not a great fan of Rose. However this is one of the most enjoyable I have had, many moons ago I might add. Pataille and Bruno Clair are the top of the tree when considering the wines of Marsannay. Pataille being a bit more rock n roll ;)

A very genial and engaging guy; always the first producer I would seek out at the OW Loeb EP tastings. Had the pleasure of tasting with him at his cellars in Marsannay a few years back; a fun and rather chaotic affair if I recall. Quite a big range of wines that he has with several sites in Marsannay (Clos du Roy, Charma aux Pretes, Longeroies, La Montagne, Clemengeot; pick for me being the Longeroies. Basic Marsannay Blanc is good and the more serious (but a little pricey)Marsaany Blanc La Charme aux Pretes is excellent (probably a good candidate for a 1er cru if they ever reclassified). The Bourgogne Chapitre Blanc is also very fine. The Gotes are top class as well particularly the special parcel stuff. A producer you can find real pleasure with throughout his range.

Love the naff labels; just goes to show that appearances can be deceptive! Its what's behind the label that counts! :D

By coincidence I opened the 2015 rose tonight. I've been looking forward to opening it ever since it being praised on the TWS forum.

I really like it but it isn't what I expected - slightly oxidative rather than fruity. Doesn't lack freshness or feel over the hill, just more like a Tondonia rose (as noted by a forumite on Cellartracker) than other Pinot roses I've tried. Anyone else feel that way?

Nick, entirely concur with relating the wine to Tondonia GR rosado.
  • 2015 Domaine Sylvain Pataille Marsannay Rosé Fleur de Pinot - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Marsannay Rosé (25/05/2019)
    Vivid rust pink; showy, strawberry/raspberry fragrance; lots of summer fruit, Pinosity rich, flattering acidity; fair length though fades on finish. No need to hurry. (91 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker

By coincidence I opened the 2015 rose tonight. I've been looking forward to opening it ever since it being praised on the TWS forum.

I really like it but it isn't what I expected - slightly oxidative rather than fruity. Doesn't lack freshness or feel over the hill, just more like a Tondonia rose (as noted by a forumite on Cellartracker) than other Pinot roses I've tried. Anyone else feel that way?
The 2015 started out well with ripe strawberry fruit. I think it then just stalled and has not developed as wll as some years.
It was a warm year. I think its good but not his best. I think the cooler years like 2016 are more aromatic and finer.