NWR Tech query about conversations on the Forum

I have my preferences set up to be notified by e-mail when someone posts a message on a conversation I'm involved in, but this doesn't seem to be happening any more - the last e-mail I received was on the 23rd March, although I've been involved in several conversations since then. Have other people had the same experience?

Notifications are working as normal. There are almost always one of two reasons for this:

1) your email provider regards the automated notifications as spam, so blanket rejects them. There is literally nothing I can do about this.

2) the email address you used to join the form is either 'mailbox full' or you no longer use that email account, but forgot its what you used for the forum.

Worth changing your email address for the forum to see if that solves it. (Click your name top right).

Changing e-mail address from my main address to my Gmail address seems to have fixed things. I'm still receiving mail from elsewhere on my main address so presumably after many years of letting them through my ISP has decided to block messages from Wine Pages Forum. Annoyingly this has resulted in my being first reserve on one of Gareth's potential offlines rather than bagging a seat...

Changing e-mail address from my main address to my Gmail address seems to have fixed things. I'm still receiving mail from elsewhere on my main address so presumably after many years of letting them through my ISP has decided to block messages from Wine Pages Forum. Annoyingly this has resulted in my being first reserve on one of Gareth's potential offlines rather than bagging a seat...
Virgin Media? Some time ago (a few months or so I think), and without telling anyone, they started spam-filtering messages in way you can't turn off. If you look in your VM web mail, you may find them in the spam folder there.

I only noticed because my main email address redirects to both gmail and VM, but I received some messages only on gmail.

That’s right. I’ll have to try to remember my password to look at the webmail and confirm.
That's always my problem. Either I've forgotten the password, or they have changed the authentication system inbetween times I need to log on.

Last time I looked, to check email, you must log on with the specific email address that you wish to check for - not necessarily your main account login - that has caught me out a few times too.

Managed to login and found a pile of e-mails from wine pages in the spam folder, mixed in with the Russian girls offering their services and must-buy investments which I'm quite happy for them to filte, but there were a few other things there, too, which I really didn't want to miss - confirmation of my appointment to give blood, for example. It didn't seem to be possible to select more than one message to tell them it wasn't spam!
At least this confirms that this isn't a problem with wine pages, just with how Virgin treats them...

If emails from a particular sender are being identified incorrectly as SPAM, save the sender as a contact. This will ensure you receive all messages from that sender and their messages won’t be identified as SPAM. For more information on how to add a contact, check Using the Address Book in Virgin Media Mail.

Julian, I am certain that will be helpful for some.

I sometimes get a bounced message alert when this happens (i.e. a forum notification meant for someone is bounced back to forum admin) it often appears to be a bulk mail filter at server level rather than an individual's spam filter is stopping it. Here are a couple of examples:

SMTP error from remote server for RCPT TO command, host: eu-smtp-inbound-1.mimecast.com (91.220.42.201) reason: 550 Administrative prohibition - envelope blocked - https://community.mime
cast.com/docs/DOC-1369#550 [wYJTypEkOOyOaxH20MEUBg.uk3] - this was for Matthew Bridge on Virgin

SMTP error from remote server for TEXT command, host: mx.avasin.plus.net (212.159.9.200) reason: 552 Spam Message Rejected - this was for Benedict Jenks on plus

Off the bat it looks most likely that the emails are hard failing SPF checks which would result in them landing in spam folders more often than not.

Might be worth getting one of these transactional emails sent into a mail-tester.com address to get some conclusive descriptions about what's going wrong (it must be an email sent by the forum software).

Whatever the issue is, it's certainly fixable as the "framework" that defines how email should be sent is pretty rigid - either the sending of the email conforms or does not - there are a few RFCs that scope this out. Using mail-tester.com will get those RFCs put into plain english and also provide a spamassassin analysis. That's where I would start.

When I try to upload image it says:

----
ErrorException: [E_NOTICE] tempnam(): file created in the system's temporary directory in src/XF/Util/File.php at line 43
XF::handlePhpError()
tempnam() in src/XF/Util/File.php at line 43
XF\Util\File::getTempFile() in src/XF/Service/Attachment/Preparer.php at line 250
XF\Service\Attachment\Preparer->generateAttachmentThumbnail() in src/XF/Service/Attachment/Preparer.php at line 56
XF\Service\Attachment\Preparer->insertDataFromFile() in src/XF/Service/Attachment/Preparer.php at line 38
XF\Service\Attachment\Preparer->insertAttachment() in src/XF/Attachment/Manipulator.php at line 199
XF\Attachment\Manipulator->insertAttachmentFromUpload() in src/XF/Pub/Controller/Attachment.php at line 91
XF\Pub\Controller\Attachment->actionUpload() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line 352
XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchClass() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line 259
XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchFromMatch() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line 115
---

I have absolutely no idea what does it mean but hopeful that can help someone who knows.