The Balvenie DoubleWood 12yo

Supposedly a classic but meh, a bit boring, smells of oak and vanilla. Sweet, oaky palate. Is Speyside kinda the Bored-eaux of whisky? It's where the expensive but boring stuff is made? I mean there are like a dozen Islay whiskeys cheaper than this that are amazing that I could get. I think I'll still go to Islay for my rare whisky desires.

If you like Islay whiskies because of the phenolic character that comes from the peat they use then you aren‘t going to find anything like that in a Speyside. You will either get sherry cask influence or a malt driven spirit.

My go to Speyside whiskies at the moment are Glen Grant 10yo and Glen Elgin 12yo. For one with more sherry cask influence try a Glenfarclas or Aberlour.

An alternative highland whisky to try that does have some peat character but is different to an Islay one is Ardmore.

Last edited:
I wouldn't have said that the Double Wood was a "classic", but rather a scotch that places an emphasis on the wood finish, hence Saina's observations about wood and vanilla. Regardless, I wouldn't have compared a Speyside to an Islay - Bruichladdich and Bunnahabhain being the exceptions.