Food The South London Dining Thread

Well, Alastair started one for North London, so why not one for the Sarf?

We live in SW11, so here are a few places that we like:
  • Chez Bruce Bellevue Road - a NPM staple and seemingly ageless and effortlessly consistent
  • Buona Sera Northcote Road - simple but very decent Italian food - noisy though - the tomato and garlic bread is superb
  • Osteria Antica Bologna Northcote Road - slightly more refined Italian food - reliable
  • Shrub and Shutter Coldharbour Lane - truly excellent cocktails and really good food from the pop-up called Oxalis - a bit edgy and not a bourgeois experience
  • Banh Banh Vietnamese restaurant Coldharbour Lane - pure flavours with real Vietnamese cooks in the kitchen
  • The street food market on the South Bank - plenty of choice, good value, and most of the stalls are surprisingly good
  • The Glasshouse Kew - another NPM beauty
  • Indian Moment Battersea Rise - solid Indian food cooked with less fat than usual and with fresh spices and consequently detailed flavours
Brady's fish and chips in Wandsworth has sadly closed - that was formerly a local staple as was RSJ. We're also set to explore the wilds of Tooting Market - we've had drinks, but not yet eaten there.

What other treasures have other South Londoners turned up? I'm conscious that South London has many sub-areas that we've not really explored.

Last edited:
I guess Borough Market needs its own subset - or maybe that counts as The City now. Wright Brothers fish pie a good staple there plus Monmouth Coffee. I think Bao have just opened a branch there, siblings are tasty places....sorry to drift sarf of river!

In Tooting market I’ve enjoyed Plot a few times, Thom would hate the seating though. There’s an Italian fried fish stand where I’ve had some tasty bites otherwise it’s a fun place to wander and graze.

In Brixton market, Salon has been pretty decent and in Pop Brixton there’s Smoke & Salt and Roe both making some very tasty dishes, I would ask about byo as their offerings aren’t that inspiring

Heading over to Peckham I’ve had some food dishes at Levan with a Jura heavy list of largely natural wines which is worth exploring, Peckham Bazaar was good with an Aegean leaning list but that was a couple of years ago now

Hood in Streatham is a nice neighbourhood restaurant with pretty proficient cooking, Bravi Ragazzi is now the king of authentic sour dough pizza as Adomme is closing

Last edited:
To try and branch out from SW London for a moment...
Moxon’s Next Door has become our regular, local, casual spot since its opening. Delicious small plates; a selection of wild fish, roasted, to share; cheese from Mons next door; a decent little list and a wonderful, Estonian manageress called Tyree( a guess on the spelling!).

Agree with Jim re Moxons, you obviously go for the fish but their chips are also excellent. Levan in Peckham good, if a little expensive, but last summer I had one of the best meals in recent memory at Salon in Brixton Market. I’d recommend going there.

Some other favourites not yet mentioned ;

Artusi, a minimalist, authentic Italian in Peckham and its sister Marcella in Deptford are both great. Lovely fresh pasta and lots of other good stuff. Corkage last time I went was £18.

Matoom in Forest Hill is a brilliant Thai restaurant, been open a year or 2. They charge £3 per bottle corkage at anytime. Their aubergine salad is a thing of beauty as are most other things I’ve tasted and my wife is addicted to their bang bang drums (spicy chicken wings). They also deliver and being so close it’s our default choice if we want takeaway.

161 in Sydenham is my local wine bar, which serves great small plates, local charcuterie (Penge nduja for example) and cheese from Mons. Wines mainly from importer Wines Under the Bonnet ( the owner of both is the same guy) are excellent with a heavy focus on Loire, Southern France, Alsace and Germany. Large, interesting selection by the glass.

A couple of other places in Peckham worth trying are Begging Bowl (Thai) and Gannapati (Indian).

Winemakers Deptford also a favourite for a great wine list and small plates. A good combination would be there for drinks and then on to Marcella (mentioned earlier) for dinner which is a few doors down.

We went to The Glasshouse on Tuesday night and we had a lovely evening. The welcome and service were outstanding - unfussy and warm. The food was very good indeed. My son chose the Australian truffle and handmade linguini starter to be followed by roasted and pan-fried hake (or perhaps that was the other way round) and then a pavlova with fig leaf ice-cream. He probably chose most wisely, but every dish was very well executed and attractively presented. We'll be back soon.

A few more restaurants of note in Peckham are Forza Win (Italian) and Mr Bao (guess...). There's also a branch of Banh Banh on Rye Lane. Peckham Coal Rooms is worthy of mention too - the food may not be the most complex but it is wonderfully tasty and priced fairly.

Nanban (Japanese fusion) in Brixton is somewhere my wife and I love, though we don't get to it as often as we should.

I haven't been to Trinity in Clapham for a while, but last time I went it was excellent if on the pricey side.

Agree with Jim re Moxons, you obviously go for the fish but their chips are also excellent. Levan in Peckham good, if a little expensive, but last summer I had one of the best meals in recent memory at Salon in Brixton Market. I’d recommend going there.

Some other favourites not yet mentioned ;

Artusi, a minimalist, authentic Italian in Peckham and its sister Marcella in Deptford are both great. Lovely fresh pasta and lots of other good stuff. Corkage last time I went was £18.

Matoom in Forest Hill is a brilliant Thai restaurant, been open a year or 2. They charge £3 per bottle corkage at anytime. Their aubergine salad is a thing of beauty as are most other things I’ve tasted and my wife is addicted to their bang bang drums (spicy chicken wings). They also deliver and being so close it’s our default choice if we want takeaway.

161 in Sydenham is my local wine bar, which serves great small plates, local charcuterie (Penge nduja for example) and cheese from Mons. Wines mainly from importer Wines Under the Bonnet ( the owner of both is the same guy) are excellent with a heavy focus on Loire, Southern France, Alsace and Germany. Large, interesting selection by the glass.

A couple of other places in Peckham worth trying are Begging Bowl (Thai) and Gannapati (Indian).

Winemakers Deptford also a favourite for a great wine list and small plates. A good combination would be there for drinks and then on to Marcella (mentioned earlier) for dinner which is a few doors down.

We ate as a group at Artusi the other day. Really lovely atmosphere and wonderful, fuss free, food. We took advantage of the corkage which is currently £22.

Also in Peckham, I maintain I had the best burger in London at Slow Ritchies, which is a kiosk type arrangement out the back of a brewery tap house in the Peckham Rye railway arches.

Hood in Streatham was also very enjoyable and good value. Again, it offers very reasonable corkage.

Sorella in Clapham is an Italian (with some modern twists) sister restaurant of the Dairy that we used to really enjoy eating at. Although it was next door, so part of the benefit was how close it was.

Kaosarn in Brixton arcade does a magnificent Thai fish ball soup.

Canton Arms on South Lambeth road in Vauxhall is enjoyable, decent sharing dishes and the foie gras toastie is worth the trip for sure!

A few places in Camberwell worth checking out.

Theos - Currently my favourite pizza in south London, think they do corkage though haven't tried myself.

Silk Road - Decent regional (Xinjiang) Chinese food, plenty of tripe if that's your thing and the big bowl chicken is a favourite. no charge BYO too.

Camberwel Arms - Seasonal British fare in the back of a pub, good place to hunker down on a winters evening, BYO too but worth ringing ahead to confirm.

On holiday, mate.
Right, sarf London is a great place for proper food.
Here are two tips, neither of which serve alcohol (don't know if the latter does BYO) but both are superb with a hangover:

a) Cafe East: Cafe East is still London’s best noodle bar - Elitistreview

b) Everest Curry King: (note, I have no idea why this references a big mountain in Nepal when its food is Sri Lankan) EVEREST CURRY KING, London - Updated 2019 Restaurant Reviews, Photos & Phone Number - TripAdvisor

Both of these are exceptional value for money. The latter in particular where you will struggle to eat more than £10 worth of food (note they also offer everything take away, hot or cold to be reheated later).

Seriously, a trip to either place to stuff your face is a great thing... and will keep this thread alive while I think of other contributions!