TWS Rhône 19 offer

Yes, good spot on the Gonon. I presume the the Chave offerus white is the circa, i seem to remember they have listed it this way before. They seem to have reduced their half bottle offering as well, only 2 reds.

There’s not much that’s tempting if you’re after finesse from my reading of the offer, which may be a good thing, although I did have to put in for the Gonon, it was pretty much the only thing that sounded attractive and I probably won’t get any

Easy pass for me.

Bought a few cases of Crozes and St Joseph from 14-18.
My early brief impressions.

14. Nice.
15. Rather ripe.
16. Very ripe.
17. What have I done these are too ripe for me. The only one I’ve really liked was Thalabert which was 13.5%!
18. Even riper apparantly. Obviously not delivered but almost certainly wasted my dosh.
19. Riper still. Gone well past the Spinal Tap 11. Thalabert 15%!

Byeeee Rhone!

Easy pass for me.

14. Nice.
15. Rather ripe.
16. Very ripe.
17. What have I done these are too ripe for me. The only one I’ve really liked was Thalabert which was 13.5%!
18. Even riper apparantly. Obviously not delivered but almost certainly wasted my dosh.

Byeeee Rhone!
Many of the Cote-Rotie ABVs are 13.5.

Easy pass for me.

14. Nice.
15. Rather ripe.
16. Very ripe.

Byeeee Rhone!

Not sure I would put 2016 in the ‘very ripe’ category. Anyway, having been to some of the EP tastings for these vintages (except 2019 obviously) and dipping my toes into the odd bottle subsequently, it is clear that you need to choose carefully. At the risk of over-generalising, and counter-intuitive as it might seem, the poorer terroirs seem to have sometimes struggled in the heat in these warmer vintages. Whereas at the top end (eg terroirs like Lancement in Cote Rotie and the western end of the hill of Hermitage) I am pretty confident that there are some magnificent wines in 15, 17 and 18 (no real idea on 19 but I trust JLL when he raves about Cote Rotie) and I am happy to have them in my cellar. Use of stems is also a particular consideration for the buyer. That all said, I would not be surprised if they are outperformed at many points in their evolution by other vintages, much as 98s and 01s can often give more pleasure than the hyped 99s.

Yes, good spot on the Gonon. I presume the the Chave offerus white is the circa, i seem to remember they have listed it this way before. They seem to have reduced their half bottle offering as well, only 2 reds.

Yep...pretty sure they mis-named the Circa last year too Mark.

I seem to have got most of my requests, only two gigondas but not Rossett Crozes. I think I'm awaiting a sub on that one.
EDIT totally wrong the Rossett is now showing in EP, wasn't there last night in "my wines"
Happy, as it includes 3 Gonon.

Last edited:
I should just give up with their EPs as only once received one case. Of course I must be picking the popular wines but even when I did get something (Riesling) they had the pricing wrong so I cancelled.
It’s part of the reason I spend so little with them as works both ways.