Valpolicella and Alsace

I am driving to Verona in a few weeks time. I will also stop off in Alsace on the way back....hopefully with a boot full od good wine. I would be very grateful if somebody could recommend a good wine book for Verona in particular. Basically I need a list of good wineries to visit. Suggestions for Alsace would also be good. Thanks guys

Phil,

AFAIK a book on Verona/Valpo does not exist. You need to dig into general reference books such as the OCW / World Atlas. Masnaghetti, A., Valpolicella, Amarone: The Vineyards (Monza, 2013) these are the maps and you can also go on the page of the Consorzio Valpolicella.

The AOC is particularly troubled because the way it is put together (1234879327534985 grapes and 3247892375 way to vinify allowed) and the market it serves the most (USA). I am not an expert but I would go and have a look at: Mazzi, Terre di Pietra (top location), Corte Sant'Alda, Roccolo Grassi and Le Ragose. I would add Bertani and Monte dall'Ora.

Downtown Verona there are few places offering old vintages in near perfect conditions. Masi does a great job in this with his 2 single vineyard Amarone: Mazzano and Campolongo di Torbe. They are sourced from around Negrar, IIRC, the coldest of the valleys at the highest altitude.

Last edited:
Dirler-Cadé in Bergholtz is where I go to stock up on Alsatian goodies. Biodynamic,if that's your thing but definitely on the dry,lean,mineral side of things winemaking wise. Ludovine is a wonderful host and will normally open up to 30 bottles for you if you're lucky. Nice little restaurant for lunch round the corner. Rieslings, Muscats and Gewurtztraminers are top notch,Crémant and Sylvaners top value.

I've stayed a couple of times at the Serego Alighieri estate which is part of the Masi empire and is just north of Verona. They do tastings and tours and have accomodation if you need it. I was very impressed the couple of times I stayed there. Lots of small vineyards up that way in the hills as well.

Roccolo Grassi in Mezzane di Sotto were the most impressive winery (IMO) from our visit 2-3 years ago. Excellent across the range and the Valpolicella at €20 a bottle at the winery was very fine value.
Just one visit in Soave, but a brilliant one - Gini. Strongly recommended (in Monforte d'Alpone). Soave as aplace also quite charming and a place I would like to return to (more than Verona which suffers its tourists). Bottega del Vino in Verona rather surprisingly impressed for its food (classic dishes but as tasty as you could hope for), with the wine a little diappointing (a fellow forumite on a prior trip had very good wines, so take the balance of possibilities).

If needing accomodation near Verona, Massimago is worth a look. Huge spread for breakfast, nicely fitted apartments, spacious grounds + swimming pool + sauna. The biggest negative was the regions voracious mozzies which had us resorting to the local Italian creams which seemed suitably potent.

<snippy mode>. Is this not contrary to Forum T&Cs?
True. It doesn't have to be a real name, but that is encouraged. However it must give the appearance of a real name. Tom posted the rules on another recent thread asking for BYO options in London.

Phil
It would be great if you would use your real name, as real names have worked well in encouraging a good atmosphere here. However if having you name googlable from here concerns you, then follow the guidance from Tom. One forumite for instance changed their name from Carne to Caan, which is great that we don't pronounce his name incorrectly when we meet at an offline!
regards
Ian

True. It doesn't have to be a real name, but that is encouraged. However it must give the appearance of a real name. Tom posted the rules on another recent thread asking for BYO options in London.

Phil
It would be great if you would use your real name, as real names have worked well in encouraging a good atmosphere here. However if having you name googlable from here concerns you, then follow the guidance from Tom. One forumite for instance changed their name from Carne to Caan, which is great that we don't pronounce his name incorrectly when we meet at an offline!
regards
Ian

Fixed....not my intention to be offside...apologies!

I'd head for Rolly Gassmann in Rorschwihr (but allow time: you will be made to taste a lot of wines). Hugel in Riquewihr is, of course, a big name, but I think there would be merit to a visit to their tasting room. Of the co-ops, my preference is for the lesser known Kientzheim-Kaysersberg.