Viewing pictures and avatars

Offer him a mince pie if he gets it fixed before midnight :p (seriously though, yes a problem, but not a showstopper)

I've worked through the steps with Bob P for loading an avatar, and am convinced he's doing it right & with a suitably sized photo (which worked when I tried to load it). From the earlier comment (by Alex?) it might be a problem in the load?

regards
Ian

Found some possible permissions errors that might have been causing this - hard to test as none of us can reproduce it, but would be good to hear if this is still happening? Remember to hard refresh (CTRL+F5 on most browsers) first though.

Just scanned the registered members list and it's just Bob, Gabriel and Charles who appear to have problems with an avatar they've loaded. Let's see if the fix worked for them as well.

Hi Bob
This does sound like it's part of the wider malaise some people are experiencing with pictures. Let's see where Julian gets to with that and hopefully it sorts the problem out.
regards
Ian

Any ideas why Avatars and Pictures work brilliantly on Safari and not at all on Chrome, I'm assuming it is a setting of sorts but haven't managed to fix it. Thoughts appreciated as Safari is painfully slow in comparison to Chrome.

... and interestingly I can now only see Tom's avatar ... plus my old Monty Python avatar.

Tom, Julian: Might this be linked to those avatars being added to the original testing site before you re-hosted. Might there still be some old links still I place hence causing problems?

regards
Ian

Tom Cannavan

Administrator
Ian, how extraordinary. I am seeing your new avatar - and every else's. If you right click on your 'old' avatar and look at the image info, what is the URL path to the image?

Tom Cannavan

Administrator
Any ideas why Avatars and Pictures work brilliantly on Safari and not at all on Chrome, I'm assuming it is a setting of sorts but haven't managed to fix it. Thoughts appreciated as Safari is painfully slow in comparison to Chrome.

Uilliam, the avatars work exactly the same for me on Firefox and Chrome - can see them all in both. So the picture (sic) here gets just more and more confusing. I know Julian and his team are working on images, but clearly we need to somehow establish what is actually happening (with so many completely contrasting experiences, like this one) before we can fix it.

Ian, how extraordinary. I am seeing your new avatar - and every else's. If you right click on your 'old' avatar and look at the image info, what is the URL path to the image?
Hi Tom
http://winepages.sm-technologies.co.uk/community/index.php?members/ian-sutton.21/
http://winepages.sm-technologies.co.uk/community/index.php?account/avatar

i.e. the new forum. It is also what shows on my profile / avatar popup, so it appears it's been reset to the older image. I'll leave it as is for now in case it's useful for debugging.

Last edited:

Tom Cannavan

Administrator
Hi Ian, winepages.sm-technologies.co.uk is the development site, so nothing should be pointing there. Will report this to Julian because it is just nuts: I can see your new avatar and its address is http://wine-pages.com/community/data/avatars/m/0/21.jpg?1450955813 as it should be. So it is not simply a case that the avatars are pointing to the wrong place within the forum - otherwise I'd see it too - so it *must* be to do with caching surely, and some browsers holding on to old versions. Though why on earth yours seems to have flipped from one to the other totally baffles me.

Aha - I missed that important detail!
Also odd that it flipped yesterday evening & prevails today even after CTRL+F5

Happy for the fix to arrive when it arrives - not a showstopper

Uilliam, the avatars work exactly the same for me on Firefox and Chrome - can see them all in both. So the picture (sic) here gets just more and more confusing. I know Julian and his team are working on images, but clearly we need to somehow establish what is actually happening (with so many completely contrasting experiences, like this one) before we can fix it.

Hi Tom, should have clarified that problem only exists on iPad, Chrome on laptop works fine.