Watch the World Cup at Mikkeller San Diego!

F0E5A4CB-EEF3-4203-99D1-5ABB7120DC4F.jpeg ...well, not quite. Even though their sign states “We open when the game starts”, when I cheekily asked if they’d be opening at 5.00am for England’s game on Sunday, they looked at me as if I was completely off my trolley.

So not EVERY game will they be opening their doors for!

Right now, Mikkeller San Diego has an obsession with the hazy North East-style IPAs, which we’re getting a bit tired of. The whole country has gone out-of-control with this style of IPA, which has now become a category at the Great American Beer Festival. That said, I did have a delicious Belgian-style Strong Ale (8.6%), followed by an equally delicious bourbon barrel-aged Stout w/Coconut (11.3%) at Mikkeller last night.

Nice touch to have the Danish flag flying over the counter.

Last edited:
I haven't actually tried that type of IPA yet, though I suspect some (watered down) form of it will soon seep into supermarkets. Actually I did see pack of 'hazy' (it said so on the can) IPA (or pale ale) in Morrisons a few weeks ago, so it must be beginning to happen. I actually had some of Brewdog's Mr President not long ago (their double IPA, what was Hardcore), and really enjoyed it actually. I hadn't had it for a long time (and it must be a long way from the new IPAs).

I haven't actually tried that type of IPA yet, though I suspect some (watered down) form of it will soon seep into supermarkets. Actually I did see pack of 'hazy' (it said so on the can) IPA (or pale ale) in Morrisons a few weeks ago, so it must be beginning to happen. I actually had some of Brewdog's Mr President not long ago (their double IPA, what was Hardcore), and really enjoyed it actually. I hadn't had it for a long time (and it must be a long way from the new IPAs).

Look out for Cloudwater beers - quite exceptional examples of this style.

Thanks, Julian. I've been reading about Cloudwater for a long time, but have yet to try them. Since my nearest beer shop closed, I tend to get mine from supermarkets, so the choice is limited. I'll try their beer one day!

How much did you pay for it, Ian (if you don't mind me asking)? I'm out of touch with prices nowadays. I hope it was under £5.00.

They are expensive, admittedly. Around 5-8 pounds depending on type. I would advise ordering directly from Cloudwater and getting a selection. Freshness is hugely important with their beers and every week makes a difference, so I'd be hesitant if it's been on the shelf for a while.

Hi David
I opened that can this evening - Cloudwater Baltic Porter and the price label said 5.35 quid. I have to say it's a fair price for how much I enjoyed it, slightly different style but I think it ranks up there with Schneider's TapX Mein Porter they made 3-4 years ago for porter, but with more complexity than the sometimes leaden-footed porters of old.
Regards
Ian

Ah, I haven't paid that much for a beer for years (though I hear that's a normal price nowadays). I have paid much more.....Wasn't it about 2012 when the Goose Island Bourbon County Stout appeared briefly in this country? I think I paid £10.00 or £11.00 for it, which was on the cheaper side. Anyway, I never tried the Schneider porter, though I think I did see it in a shop (I think it was pricey). I would always go for the Aventinus, which has always been one of my favourite beers. Anyway, it sounds great.