Wine delivery to your car - Of any interest?

Wine delivery to your car? A good idea?

• Total voters
A

Albert Davies32

Hi all,

I'm working with a company that lets you get deliveries of wine to your car boot. Actually you can get any deliveries, but I thought wine might be helpful!

This is how it works - When the courier is at the house delivering, you give them one-time access to your car boot from wherever you are. You can make sure that they lock your car afterwards and confirm delivery. The service is particularly useful for wine companies with good couriers (i've used it for that!).

They're thinking of doing a wine trial and offering a free 6-bottles of wine for a trial period. Would love to hear your thoughts, whether positive or negative or anything else!!

Thanks

A32

I don't get this. a) cars don't have the technology to give other people one time access to their locking system b) in what situation would you have your car at your house but not be in to take delivery?

My car can be locked and unlocked remotely using my computer or mobile phone app. However it unlocks all doors as well as the boot. Not sure how the insurance company would treat any theft if there were no signs of a break in. You really would need to trust the courier but I could see you using the facility to give very short term access, unlocking and locking the car yourself, while in phone contact with the courier to confirm the wine has been deposited in the boot.

On initial thoughts a case can be made for a good idea but ultimately probably not.
Yes cars can now be locked or started remotely from a phone app but there are some security issues. Amazon are looking at one time Access to houses with video recording and I think are doing this to boots as well.

Car boot can get very hot and from experience ruins the wine very quickly and spurt out all over the car.

If there is a retrofit and app it could be a good idea certainly for non wine goods. They also have local locker drop offs .
Maybe they are better off selling lockable storage boxes for houses linked by WiFi.

Car boot can get very hot and from experience ruins the wine very quickly and spurt out all over the car.
What sort of experience have you had Mike? I've driven back home, taking 3-4 days, from the south of France with a car-load of wine in the heights of Summer with no adverse affect.
I suppose if it gets too hot when a delivery is made to the car boot, as well as unlocking and locking it remotely, I can also switch on the air-conditioning remotely :cool:

I thought this was someone from Majestic finding out if there’d be an outcry if they stopped carrying your wine to your car in the car park (which, by the way, I always appreciated when I shopped there).

For so many reasons, including those mentioned above, this doesn’t appeal to me one bit.

I for one do worry about boot temperatures. Heat can be terrible, but cold too. I left some wine in the boot which froze overnight in France once.

What sort of experience have you had Mike? I've driven back home, taking 3-4 days, from the south of France with a car-load of wine in the heights of Summer with no adverse affect.
I suppose if it gets too hot when a delivery is made to the car boot, as well as unlocking and locking it remotely, I can also switch on the air-conditioning remotely :cool:
Yes if driving you have air con on. I once put a couple of bottles in back , out of sun in France and drive back and forgot about them. Came back an hour or so later and they had cooked, some excess out of bottle and wine ruined.

Boots can get warm though many cars are ok it really depends, seems a waste to be then remote starting the car to put air con on. I see it a saloon or suv, very different types of cars and temperatures.

I don't need to start the car to put the air-con on. Its a great feature in the winter as I can press the button 15 minutes before leaving and come out to a warm car and ice gone from the windscreens.

I don't need to start the car to put the air-con on. Its a great feature in the winter as I can press the button 15 minutes before leaving and come out to a warm car and ice gone from the windscreens.
That does sound handy. I get many features with a Volvo, and the winter pack with heated seats in my previous two cars was quite nice, but afaik they don’t have remote de-icing. How do you feel about identifying make and model, Paul?

... in what situation would you have your car at your house but not be in to take delivery?

I guess if you drive to the station and then catch a train. Or possibly if you park some distance from your workplace.

I recognise the problem - how do you deliver securely to people who are not at home?.. I just don't see this as a solution because of the narrowness of the market and the security concerns mentioned by others. Click and collect is a lower tech, lower cost solution that works pretty well.

In fact, to be all soap-boxy for a moment, I suggest that if delivery drivers were properly paid rather than being on miserly piece rates and fake self-employment, they would have less motivation to 'lose' deliveries.

After a birthday weekend in Tuscany, a friend offered to take back a case of Cepparello by car to Vienna, as I was flying. She did not mention that she planned to stop off in Venice for 2 days, leaving the car in an open parking lot in 30+ degrees. A fair amount of the aforementioned Cepparello had indeed migrated from bottle to the inside of the case.

Back to the subject, by the time car boot technology is widespread enough for this to be commercially viable, drones will be delivering the wine at the exact time requested by your phone app.

Eek! I’ve used the big car park in Venice but definitely no wine in the boot!

To answer how you deal with deliveries during the working week, I have a simple solution, though not available to all. I phone my order and first ask if they can specify a day for delivery. I then either used to work from home or try to get my wife to.

I know many people can’t do this but it always worked. Leon Stolarski has been mentioned. He’s a star at this. For me, at least, so have been Yapp’s and BBR.

I buy a lot of wine now from independent shops, but as I type I’m lugging six bottles home on the train, which I admit after a few drinks is a bit of a pain.

Here’s a much better idea. A company that delivers wine when you actually want it.

As a business I would love it if somebody came along and said ‘we’ll pick it up from your warehouse, then deliver it whenever your customer wants’. That would be marvellous. Currently impossible without it costing 50 quid for starters

These days my wife and I, or at least one of us, will normally be at home. Just as well as we have almost daily deliveries from Amazon and assorted clothing companies, all for younger members of the family.

I’m fighting a losing battle to save the high street. I came home yesterday with a shirt, slippers for K, a book, three dvds, two cds and six bottles of wine. I walked straight past the shop where I meant to buy coffee. Thankfully I’m back in Soho next week.

In the meantime I shall buy more wine today and more cds on Saturday. I don’t even really enjoy shopping.

It got me thinking about a market for a large, insulated mailbox though. Very easy to provide a daily-changing code for a lock to the courier and far less security risk than your car. So many people have deliveries every week that this must be a decent business idea.

It got me thinking about a market for a large, insulated mailbox though. Very easy to provide a daily-changing code for a lock to the courier and far less security risk than your car. So many people have deliveries every week that this must be a decent business idea.

I have a front wall behind which something like this could live. It would need to be bolted to the ground, capable of withstanding thieves and low hassle. I wonder what one could sell that for.

We visited friends of K’s Australian rellies once, out in the very centre of NSW. Their mail box at the entrance to their sheep farm was a big old fridge. Sadly it wasn’t working though.

When I saw the thread title I thought it was wine delivery to my car while en-route, like in-flight refuelling, for people too busy to even stop their car. Sadly not. I’m out.

A

Albert Davies32

So what do you think, Albert, in the light of the comments here?

Hi Paul Benny! As usual really useful feedback. There's clearly a lot of doubt, which I definitely understand! Vehicles are very private spaces for many people.

Amazon looking at this area as there's some advantages that cars have over lock boxes (which already exist). Most importantly you don't need a new electricity connection, which is often a big job for an electronic lock box. Also cars are pretty common.

I'm a user, although I have an old car and I don't keep my wines in there very long in summer!