NWR Women's tennis

Tom Cannavan

Administrator
Am I the only one finding the majority of women's tennis almost unwatchable because of the level of noise so many players emit with every stroke? The grunt/screams from Halep, currently drowning out the relatively modest Konta, are simply ridiculous. No animal needs to make that noise just because it is exerting itself a bit - especially just hitting a ball with a racket (sic)

I couldn't agree more, and it's the primary reason I struggle to enjoy watching Nadal play as well. I admit to struggling with female tennis anyway due to the step-down in intensity from the mens game, but the screaming would be enough to put me off in itself.

Tom Cannavan

Administrator
How curious. 1st match set 3, and Halep served and hit every point without making a sound. What on earth does that say! Anyway, Konta and Murray tomorrow and Thursday - my week is sorted that far at least :)

Great match and result. You know tennis players are trained to grunt as children. It helps with timing. No need for adults.

It's not just timing. You're meant to exhale when hitting the shot to generate maximum power. Same as when weight lifting. Kids are taught to shriek to make sure they're exhaling.

So why's it so much more prevalent in the female game compared to the mens? Perhaps more noticeable due to the higher pitch?

Just another reason to love watching Roger Federer play. The greatest player of all time and barely a grunt, just the occasional 'Chum jetze!'

It's not just timing. You're meant to exhale when hitting the shot to generate maximum power. Same as when weight lifting. Kids are taught to shriek to make sure they're exhaling.
Indeed. though they start with shouting hit at the impact point. Quite frightening playing youngsters. I tried it, just put me off my own game.

So why's it so much more prevalent in the female game compared to the mens? Perhaps more noticeable due to the higher pitch?

Just another reason to love watching Roger Federer play. The greatest player of all time and barely a grunt, just the occasional 'Chum jetze!'

I wonder if it was the eastern Europeans who started it, so maybe it came out off a coaching system there. I think exhaling as you hit would be good enough, but the coach can't hear it. So they grout. Wasn't there famously more female players coming out of the former Soviet states?

On RF, I note a lot of men with one handed backhands compared to a few years ago. Clearly copycat but very welcome.

Tom Cannavan

Administrator
I know this level of elite sport is all about the finest of tuning to gain advantage, but even if exhaling as you strike gives more power, I refuse to believe such horrendous shrieking adds anything extra. It genuinely is enough to put me off watching all but the most important (for me) womens matches. Men do a fair bit of grunting, but it is lower in frequency and never - ever - the wilfully sustained shrieks of some women, dying away over several seconds. It's just horrible and should be penalised.

Not wishing to get at you Tom (and I do find it a bit annoying too) do you really think they do it for no good reason? At this level and with so much at stake, as suggested above it must assist their performance. (I confess to be the father of three girls and having to fight the female corner on occasions!).

Tom Cannavan

Administrator
Not wishing to get at you Tom (and I do find it a bit annoying too) do you really think they do it for no good reason? At this level and with so much at stake, as suggested above it must assist their performance. (I confess to be the father of three girls and having to fight the female corner on occasions!).

Angus, I do find it hard to believe, yes! Not meant as a sexist comment but maybe it is: almost all players of both genders give audible grunts on big serves or returns, but only a few women players seem to have an extended exclamation of extraordinary exhalation that is a loud, prolonged banshee howl that sounds pretty much like affectation to me ;)

Anyone else see a thrilling mixed doubles match in the gloaming last night, on Red Button? An outstanding Scottish girl, Jocelyn Rae, with a British partner Ken Skupski, playing on a wild card, and beating the twelfth seeds to make it to the semis. 9-7 in the third set.

She was the better of the two of them last night, a strong serve and excellent net play. And not a grunt from her throughout the match:). A pair to watch.

A girl in my office who played tennis at international level in her teens tells me she never squeals or grunts and she was brought up in the Czech system, though she did make an exception when playing squash against a male colleague!

Both semis over in about 3 hours. I'd be very surprised if the same happens tomorrow. I'm with Mathew Syed on this, very sexist to assume women can't compete over 5 sets in the slams and sets a very poor example to young girls watching, embedding views on women's lack of endurance. Forget the prize money side of things(although important too), the same arguments were put forward re the Marathon many years ago. T20 v Test cricket in terms of momentum changes over a decent period, would have loved to see if Konta could have turned it round in the 3rd set.

Maybe it is a TV thing. I too cannot stand the excessive grunts/ squeals etc when watching on the small box. I was lucky to win Court 2 tickets for last weekend (2 ladies 3rd round inc Muguruza and Kerber), a men's 3rd round, the last game of Querry vs Tsonga and Murray/Hingis trashing their opponents. Plenty of sounds coming from the court but nothing excessive compared to when watching it on TV

Forget the prize money side of things(although important too)

The prize money thing still boggles the mind: really doesn't compute that playing 2, possibly 3, sets less than the men, to half empty stands merits the same reward. Grunting aside (which I find more ridiculous than off-putting) the play is also so much less varied than the men, and where are the Kyrgios', Dustin Browns, Fogninis et al?

I've not read the Matthew Syed article Jim but don't put us through 5 sets!

Last edited: